VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A while back, I bought a VHS of Men in Black II; I bought it new and unopened in a store. I had already seen the movie on video, and after watching it, I realized that there was a scene missing from my new copy. I thought it was pretty weird, but just blew it off.
    Today, my wife gave me a VHS of Sixth Sense, and in the previews, there was a preview of The 13th Warrior, which I have had for a long time and watched many times. In the previews, they showed 2 scenes that are not in my copy of 13th Warrior!
    What is up with this? When I buy these movies new, why are there scenes missing? It's not like these are really long movies that they have to trim in order to fit them on a tape; MIB II is only 88 minutes! Does anyone know why they do this?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is not uncommon to find scenes in trailers that are missing form the final movie, as the trailers are often put together before shooting is complete or final editing is done. You will also often find trailers have music from other sound tracks for this reason.

As for scenes missing or things changing, there can be many reasons. Music if often changed because the producers only bought the rights for cinema release, and not home video. Or regional changes are required for branding and product placement. The original MiB was released in several versions around the globe. The UK release had some of the language dubbed differently. The original VHS release in Australia has the US audio track, however the DVD release has the UK version. Sometimes it is simply easier to trim a scene than to try to change it, especially if it is for product placement or other legal reasons.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe George Lucas got at it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering who was still buying all those VHS tapes. : )
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The theatrical version included shots of the WTC which had to be substituted when the video was released.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    The theatrical version included shots of the WTC which had to be substituted when the video was released.
    The WTC ending was changed before the film was released to theaters (release date was July 2002).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    I was wondering who was still buying all those VHS tapes. : )
    I've got hundereds to sell. Most watched only once if at all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, actually, we only buy tapes when we can't find the movie on DVD. (Or when they're selling new for $2 at the dollar store!)
    So, it looks like there can be lots of reasons for missing scenes. Bummer.
    Thanks folks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typically, there are only a few reasons for missing scenes. Most notably and most popular lately, is the "theatrical" and the "directors" cut. With older movies, you can also have differences because of the source material. For example, you could have a first edition VHS with the theatrical cut. The movie gets released and edited for TV. A few years later the movie is remastered to digital for release on DVD, but instead of using the original master, they use the TV version. You then have two "versions" of the movie available, each containing different scenes. A good example of this is Halloween.

Anything viewed in a trailer for a film is not considered "missing" if it isn't in the actual release of the movie. This happens all of time as noted above.

You can find references (if you are interested) to movie facts, alternate versions, trivia, etc. on IMDB.com. A very good source for movie information.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only buy tapes when we can't find the movie on DVD, also.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of my DVD players (the cheapest one) would, on certain disks, skip certain chapters. Played fine on other players. A little confusing to have "Hero" start with chapter 3.

Steve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A mistake I sometimes make is to remember a scene as being in a sequel when it was actually in the original and so think it is "missing".
    Quote Quote