VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I wanted to create some basic tutorials using my DV camcorder. The basic editing tools and effects I would use often would be cutting, joining, fading, subtitles (if i could do subtitles when there are things moving in the tutorial, as well as freeze the frame and have subtitles go that'd be cool), as well as maybe importing a background music track or voiceover, and lastly, slow motion for those hard to see moments. That's probably the bulk of what I need to create basic "how-to" tutorials. I didn't know if Premiere Pro was needed or if that's the best option, or if there is an easier solution like Windows Movie Maker. Also, the video would have to be small enough to fit on youtube, dailymotion, etc. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. So, is your question "What do I need to do this?"
    All of this can be done in AviSynth and fed to whatever encoder you want to use to produce your YouTube, etc. compatible video.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah that was my question. The other thing is, does Avisynth or another program then do a zoom in feature. Like if I had two people working on a bicycle, but wanted to zoom in on their hands, could a program do that? Or is that only done with the camera itself?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    does Avisynth or another program then do a zoom in feature. Like if I had two people working on a bicycle, but wanted to zoom in on their hands, could a program do that?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338250.html#1760949

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1760949/avs-animation-demo.avi

HTH.

============
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I've been goign through this site looking at what I need before I start. I tried the AVSedit tutorial from afterdawn just to get a feel for things. I'm thinking the process will look like this:

1) I record my video with my canon camcorder (ZR700? i can't remember the exact model)

2) Use WinDV to transfer the miniDV to my computer? I'm not sure if that's right.

3) Then from there I can use AVIsynth to open the miniDV (I am not sure which filter I use to open the video since I haven't captured the video yet)

4) I saw on the AVIsynth tutorial I can make a still image like a title page and end page into frames and insert those. Is that a good method to do? Or are there better ways of adding title and end pages.

5) I also saw I can zoom in on portions, add a logo, and do slow motion which I am interested in. What I do not know how to do is freeze a frame so I can add subtitles or text explaining something, and add subtitles. I saw that there was a subtitle function in the tutorial on this site, but it looked like it was more for the case of having just a few subtitles. I have not tried the subtitle creator and other subtitle programs yet referenced on this site yet. If these programs work out better, when and where would I use them? Do I create the whole video sequence first in AVIsynth, then add the subtitles afterwards in one of the subtitle programs? Or create the .srt file and add them in later when compressing in Virtualdub or something along those lines?

6) Lastly, compressing. Some videos I will want higher quality because they will be burned to DVDs, others I will just post on youtube or something. I don't really understand the bitrate calculator. I tried searching and read some posts about other people's scenarios, but I don't think I understand it that well still. Is there a guide that explains how bit rate for audio and video work? I am guessing I use that Gspot program as a starter to see what my miniDV video is and that will be part of my calculation but I am not sure as to anything else. I'll probably use the Xvid codec just because I've used it for TV vidcaps and it looks ok to me. But if there are other suggestions since I'm a definitely a noob at this stuff, I'm more than ready to learn and listen. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. 2) Good choice.
    3) If capsferred to Type1 DV-AVI use DirectShowSource(), if Type2 use AVISource(). You can use AVISource() on Type1, but it will not get the audio, only the video.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote