VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have a video mpg clip from which I want to capture only the Right side of the split screen because I am in that scene
    with my friends. Have searched for a very long time about how to do this but with no luck. Can anyone suggest
    a way to do this? Thanks for any input.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Assuming it's 16:9 at 720x480 to begin with and you want to take the right half and reencode it for a 4:3 DVD:

Crop(360,0,0,0)
    Lanczos4resize(480,Height)
    AddBorders(120,0,120,0)

Or, if you want to crop off the left half and then sort of zoom in to the right half, cropping some more from the top and bottom so there isn't any black added to the left and right to maintain the AR:

Crop(360,80,0,-80)
    Lanczos4Resize(720,480)

and encode for 4:3. This is using AviSynth. It's not required, but it's the easiest and best way to go about it. You haven't really supplied enough information about the source or the destination. Is it 720x480, or some other resolution? Is it 16:9 or 4:3? Is the screen split exactly in the middle? Do you have to keep the entire right half (necessitating adding black bars to the left and right), or can you zoom in? In any event, this is a pretty simple operation, with the help of FitCD. Hope I didn't mess up. There are some other possible variations as well, some other resolutions that can be used, for DVD or just for MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What a quick response! Here is more info you asked about this.

Details From AVI Codec Program
    File: woodstockclip.mpg 18.29 MB (29 MB),duration:0:00:31,type: MPG,1 audio stream(s),quality: 83 %
    Video : 27 MB, 7500 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 720*480 (4:3), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD),Supported
    Audio : 1.41 MB, 384 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 5 channels, 0x2000 = AC3 DVM [0x80],Supported

Details from Topaz Moment Player
    Video: MPEG2 Video 720x480 (16:9) 29.97fps 7500Kbps [Video]
    Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 6ch 384Kbps [Audio]
    Subtitle: DVD Subpicture [Subtitle]

This is a link to a frame capture of the split screen movie and a cropped pic of the right side.
    That would be me in the brown shirt.

http://home.hvc.rr.com/sjmo/

Link to the film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066580/

Will be finding the programs and trying out your suggestions.
    Let me know if your advice changes knowing this additional info.
    And thanks so much.
    Want to get this done and give it to the guys who went to Woodstock with me. They don't have a clue
    they are in the film.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Although the AVI Codec Program says it's 4:3, the Topaz Moment Player says it's 16:9, and since the DVD is definitely 16:9, I'll go with that. What does GSpot say about it? Anyway, I'll stick with my earlier scripts for how to split it in half and reencode it for 4:3. It does have to be reencoded, so rather than using a probably already reencoded MPG as a source, I'd recommend going back to the DVD to get it as nice looking as possible. I wouldn't think you and your friends would be in there for more than a few seconds, so I'm not quite sure I understand the point. Nor have you stated in what format you want to share it with them, DVD, MPG, AVI, what? Personally, I think I'd go with a photograph or 2 taken from the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The other alternative, goes like this:

Load your avi to virtualdub. Go to "Video" = > filters. Choose "null transform" from the list. Then, hit "Crop" (it is on the bottom right)

A window pop up with a preview with your movie. Use the boarder marks so to crop out what you wish from the preview. What ends up is the part of the screen you wish to keep.

Now, choose "Save Avi" from your virtualdub. (add a codec like picvideo or huffyuv so to keep your file normal in size)

Download the demo of Deemon's Video Enhancer. Install it.

Load the new avi there and hit "Super Resolution" (S.R). Keep what the program suggest you for the upscale, set the output tab to 720 x 480 and hit OK.

Now set up a new codec for the same reasons you did that with virtualdub and output to a new avi. Wait (this program is slow).
    Encode the avi result to NTSC mpeg 2.

That way you have in a zoomed and upscaled form the part of the original picture you wish to keep, in the best possible software way today.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That DVD is 4:3, mixed fullscreen/letterboxed 2.35:1 (unless any new version, use GSpot to be sure). Don't know if it is hard telecined to 29.97 (as your test shows) or encoded at 23.976 with pulldown (I have PAL version). In first case you'd need to inverse-telecine it for safe resizing the cropped part.
    Alternatively, you could centre the cropped image without resizing, e.g. crop in AviSynth and send to CCE with its 'For DVD' setting checked (this centres image and adds complementing black borders) or use it as overlay (AviSynth function) on a picture of flowers . What do you prefer?
    Quote Quote  
  7. That DVD is 4:3
    But it's not. I don't know for sure about the MPG he has, but the DVD is definitely 16:9, and my scripts were based on that:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=3926
    http://www.dvdcorner.net/html/main/index.php?direct=show_review&index=747

I'm assuming he has the Director's Cut version. I believe any earlier version(s) would be long out of print. And it could say 29.97fps and still be encoded as progressive 23.976fps. I'm also assuming that to be true. It might be useful though, for him to make a small sample of the source available to us for examination.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Strange. All sources say AR varies from 1.33:1 (Amazon; dvdtimes uses word 'fullscreen' but says 'anamorphic' in next column, it also says 2 sides 1 layer that is different from my dual-layer) to 2.35:1, but I can't remember pillarboxing anywhere (I'll check my PAL version later). Anyway, GSpot will tell the truth .
    Type of encoding is still worth exploring, some Criterion Collection editions are hard telecined.

Update: here's the link to German version of Director's Cut: http://www.ciao.de/Woodstock_DC_DVD__Test_8262514

'Produktdaten' button gives technical details in pop-up (4:3).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thank you manono, SatStorm and Alex_ander for your generous advice.
    Downloaded all the apps recommended and installed them and got the
    job done. This is all new to me and was quite confused but used SatStorms instructions and got great results.

The picvideo was the best outcome but it left a watermark on the output so am going with the huffyuv output on the home page. Used Video Enhancer and the resulting NTSC mpeg 2 was great but too big
    for my web page which shows an avi file.

Am going to try all the recommendations at my leisure. Kind of strange
    finding yourself in a 37 year old movie!
    This will be a shock to my friends who were there with me.
    Again, thanks for all the support.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a screen shot of your results when you've done with it all? I remember Woodstock, but it was too far away for me at the time. Good times, though.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I remember Woodstock, but it was too far away for me at the time.
    Damn, but you're old!

I had a summer job at a Post Office near Washington DC at the time, and tried to get off to attend. They wouldn't give it to me. Good thing, too, as I never would have made it back to work the following Monday.

quark258-

You didn't say earlier what your intended final format was to be. If this is for the internet, then you can use a smallish resolution AVI to keep the size down, and not the 720x480 for DVD I was assuming. Also, your final resolution will be a 1:1 320x240 AVI I guess, or something like that, rather than a 4:3 720x480 DVD. I don't really know what you've done so far, so I don't know what to tell you about properly resizing it for your final AVI (XviD or DivX, maybe, and not HuffYUY), if that's what you intend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All of the concert footage from the late 60s looks like it was shot in 16mm and blown up to 35. The film grain is especially coarse.

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Can you post a screen shot of your results when you've done with it all? I remember Woodstock, but it was too far away for me at the time. Good times, though.
    Here is the link for full screen pic, right screen pic and Right Screen avi capture.

Originally, the festival was to be held about 2 miles from my house in the Industrial Park off Rt. 211 in Middletown
    but the rights were revoked. Bethel is about 25 miles away from me.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    I remember Woodstock, but it was too far away for me at the time.
    Damn, but you're old! IYou didn't say earlier what your intended final format was to be. If this is for the internet, then you can use a smallish resolution AVI to keep the size down, and not the 720x480 for DVD I was assuming. Also, your final resolution will be a 1:1 320x240 AVI I guess, or something like that, rather than a 4:3 720x480 DVD. I don't really know what you've done so far, so I don't know what to tell you about properly resizing it for your final AVI (XviD or DivX, maybe, and not HuffYUY), if that's what you intend.
    Was 18 years old in '69 fresh out of high school. Was a very good year. Now I'm old and retired!
    I followed SatStorms suggestion from an earlier post.
    Virtual dub, Deemon's Video Enhancer. "Super Resolution" (S.R), output tab to 720 x 480,
    Encoded the avi result to NTSC mpeg 2(final format). This was too big to post on home page so there is only an avi.
    We were also filmed being stopped by a trooper which is about 20 sec earlier in the film so am going to redo all this to include that part which just shows my car pulling up to the trooper. He made us pull over but then they moved the
    barricade behind us so we just drove up to the site. So will wind up with about a 35 sec mgeg 2.
    I had already done frame captures and had photos printed to give to the guys who were with me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like your screen caps turned out very well. I did make it to the 67' Monterey Pop Festival. It was awesome. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop_Festival
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Life was beautiful then.

(seriously)

====
    Quote Quote