VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some help please. My friend (lucky one) just installed Verizon Fios at his home. Awsome spped. Question is, sometimes he downloads from p2p networks, will he be in trouble with Verizon. He had Optimum before and never had a problem with it. He is worried.

Another question he has if it's ok, is that with the latest utorrent software, what settings he would need to change in order to get the full affect of the super download speed. Please explain in a newbie form since he doesn't know how to chenge anything and I will print it out for him to do. Thanks all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to understand how P2P works. A faster connection may not mean faster downloads if no one is 'seeding' a file. The speed you get depends on the uploaders, not the ones downloading. This Wikipedia page may give you a better idea how the system works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer

For help with setting up Utorrent, go to their website and they should have tutorials available.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Traffic shaping can be an issue too

+++++++++++
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    You need to understand how P2P works. A faster connection may not mean faster downloads if no one is 'seeding' a file. The speed you get depends on the uploaders, not the ones downloading. This Wikipedia page may give you a better idea how the system works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer
    Yes but the nice thing about torrents is that if you have a hot one then there are so many seeders that you can actually take advantage of all that beautiful bandwidth

You can use torrents on FiOS as long as they're of the legal sort without any retribution from Verizon just like any other ISP. Obviously anytime you use your internet connection for illegal activity, such as pirating movies and music, then you run the risk of losing more than just your internet connection. You gotta pay to play, so if you think it's worth the risk then go right ahead. FWIW the risk is roughly the same as it was when you had the previous ISP. I don't think Verizon is monitoring their traffic any more or less than any other ISP.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mn072065
    Question is, sometimes he downloads from p2p networks, will he be in trouble with Verizon. He had Optimum before and never had a problem with it. He is worried.
    Doesn't Verizon still have its own NNTP servers, so you don't have to pay anything extra to suck-down usenet files??

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/vz/7.2_Newsgroup

Unlimited, "free" usenet - at FIOS speeds- should reduce, if not eliminate, the need for file-sharing.

They don't care what you download... they will take an interest in anything you upload...
    "Dare to be Stupid!" - Wierd Al Yankovic
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have read that Verizon blocks certain ports on Fios such as Port 80 used for web servers.

Could be a problem with P2P akin to misconfigured firewalls.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for the response, I will pass along. He doesn't know how to upload, so I know he will not do that. And I guess like I told him before, as stated above, if you are doing something illegal, than perhaps you don't need to be downloading anything. To each his own. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using most any P2P software means it's going to upload while it's downloading unless the user sets it up otherwise.

Good point about the uploading. You're really only breaking the law once you distribute some of those downloads.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  9. He doesn't know how to upload, so I know he will not do that.
    Obviously He doesnt really understand P2p Software... everytime you download, you upload. Every thing that you are downloading you are also uploading (klaxons blaring, "warning warning will robinson, uploading is taking place!")
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote