VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 137
FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 4096
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any reason why using the microsoft codecs the conversions are way out of sync, but using LAVFilters everything is fine and in sync

I've remove the 'noinstall' of AVStoDVD and LAVFilters as I upgraded them all to the latest versions, and also cleared out any registry references to AVStoDVD. Copied the latest 'noinstall' and installed LAVFilters 0.65 and all my encodes were way out of sync

Thought about it for a day or so while doing other things, and remembered last time I had this problem the codecs was still on Microsoft and hadn't changed when I installed LAVFilters, checked today and they were still on microsoft codecs again... changed it in the codecs options to use LAVFilters and everything is now back in sync that previously wasn't ??

Why .....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you really want to listen to some more heavy duty M$ bashing?

There is a reason why immediately after the M$ DirectShow filters were introduced in Win7 the DS Filter Tweaker Tool was developped. It is not only that the M$ filters are much inferior to LAV or FFDSHOW, the main thing I hate them for is that they actively disable third party DirectShow filters. They think that it's them and not you who own your computer. One of the many reasons why I prefer XP over Win7 or Win8.

Cheers
    manolto
    Quote Quote  
  3. About MS DS decoders, actually not all of them are too bad. E.g. the mpeg1 video and the mp3 audio do their job quite well.

The real pain comes with DVT-DVD decoder who grabs the nowadays very popular H.264/AVC video streams.

I wonder what do we have to expect from win10...

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, I used the Filter Tweaker tool last time when the codecs refused to change to matter what I did, inlcuding uninstalling and reinstalling LAv Filters, clearing out registry entries, etc etc

I forced it to use LAVFilters with the tweaktool and all my synch issues went away, once LAVFilters were being used instead of the Microsoft ones
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Hi _MrC_,

I've been (belatedly) trying out 2.8.1 -- the NoInstall version -- and whenever a job is ready to go it gives me an error message about the burner ("Drive D Not Ready"). First of all, I never burn these jobs directly from AVS, but separately, sometime later on. Secondly, I don't recall seeing this error from any of the many installed versions of AVS that I've had on various computers -- or even from prior NoInstall versions, for that matter. And doesn't the NoInstall version just adopt the existing Preferences from whatever installed version you had on the computer ? If there was something relevant to this error in Settings, I did not find it.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Hi _MrC_,

I've been (belatedly) trying out 2.8.1 -- the NoInstall version -- and whenever a job is ready to go it gives me an error message about the burner ("Drive D Not Ready"). First of all, I never burn these jobs directly from AVS, but separately, sometime later on. Secondly, I don't recall seeing this error from any of the many installed versions of AVS that I've had on various computers -- or even from prior NoInstall versions, for that matter. And doesn't the NoInstall version just adopt the existing Preferences from whatever installed version you had on the computer ? If there was something relevant to this error in Settings, I did not find it.
    The latest 282 alpha is supposed to address this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    O.K., something else to mention in passing to _MrC_:

I recently had a case where a job kept failing at the subtitle integration phase, with nothing useful showing in the job logs. The subs were .SRT type. In comparing the SRT file to other recent SRT examples that had worked just fine, I could not detect any clear problems. When I tried to open this one separately in Subtitle Creator (thinking that I might try to convert it to .SUP, a move that has proved a necessary workaround in some cases), SC would not load it at all, returning an error to the effect that the first line of the subs was not in the correct format. Again, I could not see where this differed from working SRT subs format. (I found one alternate SRT subs file for this at OpenSubtitles, but it suffered from the same issue.)

I believe that _MrC_ has put in some subs-fix routines in the past, along with some to fix AC3 problems ?

Anyway, just for grins, I tried the portable Subtitle Workshop 6, which can be found in the Tools section here. Unlike Subtitle Creator, it would open the troublesome SRT file, and reported 45 various errors when I used the appropriate tool from the menu. (I'm afraid these format errors were too subtle to be apparent to me.) I then let SW6 correct the errors with its automated function, and output the result back to a new SRT file. And this one worked, in a follow-up AVS run, using the previously generated M2V and AC3 files.

I'm mentioning this in case it is of use to anyone else. I'm inclined to say that Subtitle Creator is old news, when it comes to dealing with some more current problems. And I just stumbled my way through using SW6, not having ever tried it before, and without reading up on it at all.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks Seeker47 for the subs report.

You are right, A2D has a built-in routine to convert SRT subs from Unicode to ANSI code (the only format accepted by SubtitleCreator) and another routine to fix SRT formatting errors and non-standard format tags. Anyway the fixing routine is far from being comprehensive of all potential errors, it is a sort of work-in-progress, as it is A2D in many aspects. Do you still have the problematic SRT file? Could you please send it to avstodvd@gmail.com? Thanks.

If you want to import a SRT into SubtitleCreator, make sure the file is ANSI coded, otherwise SC will reject it. You can simply use Win Notepad to perform the check and the conversion.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Thanks Seeker47 for the subs report.

You are right, A2D has a built-in routine to convert SRT subs from Unicode to ANSI code (the only format accepted by SubtitleCreator) and another routine to fix SRT formatting errors and non-standard format tags. Anyway the fixing routine is far from being comprehensive of all potential errors, it is a sort of work-in-progress, as it is A2D in many aspects. Do you still have the problematic SRT file? Could you please send it to avstodvd@gmail.com? Thanks.

If you want to import a SRT into SubtitleCreator, make sure the file is ANSI coded, otherwise SC will reject it. You can simply use Win Notepad to perform the check and the conversion.

Bye
    Thanks for that info, _MrC_. I don't think I still have this subs file. If it turns up though -- or another one exhibiting the same issues -- I will forward it to you. Hopefully that would enable some improvements to those fixing routines.

Are there some clear signs distinguishing ANSI coded SRT subs from those that are not ? (I guess I had been looking for something more in the timecode format . . . . )
    Quote Quote  
  10. To understand if one text file is coded in ANSI, you can use Notepad++. It is able to change the coding in a thousands of formats.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  11. Is it possible by default to always have GOPs closed and not check that box title by title? If not would you consider adding this into the preferences? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JukeboxJezabel View Post
    Is it possible by default to always have GOPs closed and not check that box title by title? If not would you consider adding this into the preferences? Thanks in advance.
    Mmmh, closed GOPs should be used only when strong random accessibility is demanded (for example to make post editing easier - you can make a cut at each I-frame), but image quality slightly drops (less B-frames in a GOP).

Why do you need ALWAYS closed GOPs?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Originally Posted by JukeboxJezabel View Post
    Is it possible by default to always have GOPs closed and not check that box title by title? If not would you consider adding this into the preferences? Thanks in advance.
    Mmmh, closed GOPs should be used only when strong random accessibility is demanded (for example to make post editing easier - you can make a cut at each I-frame), but image quality slightly drops (less B-frames in a GOP).

Why do you need ALWAYS closed GOPs?

Bye
    DVD Lab Pro (something I bought a long time ago and never got around to using) requires GOPs to be closed otherwise you can't author using that program. I took a look at the older 'The Film Machine' software and all of the encoders tabs the 'closed' box checked by default. I don't know much about authoring or the minutia about frames etc. but I'm trying to learn. I read that there is faster searching if GOPs are closed. I have a few Martial Arts VHS tapes that I would like to convert to DVD and since this are instructional there will be a lot of back and forth replaying.

thanks for the quick reply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you intend to convert martial art VHS to DVD, why not insert a chapter point at each important section, that way you could add the chapter to a menu and make it much easier to navigate without fast forward/backward
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ JukeboxJezabel

This is from the CCE SP manual:

Closing all GOPs When strong random accessibility for a stream
    is demanded * , set this option, then all GOPs can be set to Closed
    GOP (individual frames in a GOP do not refer to frames outside the
    GOP). Since image quality slightly drops, use this function only when
    absolutely necessary.

* An example is when a multi-angle is used for DVD creation, where frequent
    channel hopping is executed.

And from what I've been reading here on VideoHelp it should be safe to ignore the "Open Gops" warning in DVD-Lab Pro.

If you really need to have closed GOPs in all your encodings, you can use a workaround for HCenc to permanently add this parameter to HC.ini. Have a look at this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread?p=2343036&viewfull=1#post2343036

In this example you have to replace *LOSSLESS with *CLOSEDGOPS

Cheers
    manolito
    Last edited by manolito; 8th Jun 2015 at 07:02.
    Quote Quote  
  16. manolito thanks for your patience. This is what DVD pro presents:

Open GOPs were detected in the file
    The file will play fine but chapter points may not start accurately
    In your encoder always select Close GOPs to avoid such problems

I'm trying to learn so I will try both methods open and closed to see if there are any discernible differences. I have been using AVStoDVD to create just a muxed file. (this is a great program).

Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    If you intend to convert martial art VHS to DVD, why not insert a chapter point at each important section, that way you could add the chapter to a menu and make it much easier to navigate without fast forward/backward
    I intend to do that but in this one tape the guy is dressed in a potato sack like loose cloths to purposely obscure what he is doing so you have to really take small chunks and watch it over and over in slo-mo. I'm around sixty and when I was a teenager if you wanted to learn to play a song off a record you would plug the record into a motor speed control to slow the song to get the timing right albeit a different register and then speed it up. MA learning off a tape is like this.

Thanks a lot guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Suggestion

I know you mentioned it previously, but is there a bit more hope of adding the HC.ini option for those that really want to load the HC.ini instead of hacking the registry, and also the ability to load add your own matrix into the list of possible matrix that's currently available in a similiar fasion to be able to add resizers of your own to the resizers list

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. @steptoe

thanks for the suggestions, for sure I will consider them.

BTW, you know that you can edit the HC.ini file at runtime using the 'Edit Command Parameters at runtime' option, don't you?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  19. Release 2.8.2 Alpha build 150613 is available to download

For testing purpose only.

Cumulative change log from 2.8.1

- Some bugs fixed
    - Added .style file generation routine for SubRip hard-encoded subtitles font customization
    - Added auto adjustment of colour coefficients if source is using ITU-R BT.709 set (thru ColorMatrix plugin)
    - Added handling of MediaInfo Channel(s)_Original tag
    - Added auto selection of HCenc AVAMAT7 matrix for very low bitrates (below 2500 kbps)
    - Added Hard FrameRate Conversion option in 'Preferences'/'AviSynth'
    - Revised Video Encoder selection criteria in 'Preferences'/'Video' and 'Edit Title'/'Video'
    - Replaced PgcDemux with FFmpeg for DVD video and audio demuxing
    - Removed PgcDemux from Installer and NoInstall packages
    - Moved location of Profile.xml file from SubtitleCreator folder to Local AppData folder
    - Improved Profile.xml file generation routine
    - Improved handling of interlaced sources (added support to MBAFF and PAFF tags)
    - Improved bitrate calculation routine
    - Improved log activity
    - Updated main AVStoDVD icon (32, 48, 64, 256 px)
    - MediaInfo updated to release 0.7.74
    - LAV Filters updated to release 0.65
    - AviSynth updated to release 2.6.0

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    06-13-2015

Hi! all
    Nice job you're doing, keep it.

Here's my setup.

1: Windows XP Sp3
    2: DvdFab 9 to rip to .iso (Free & No watermark)
    3: Handbrake to do .MKV (For backup, keeping 2 audio tracks)
    4: AvsToDvd 2.8.1 (using .IFO) to Build Video_TS to Dvd5 (ready to burn)

Everything work properly but once over 3 or 4 time I have an out of synch audio "Video_TS"

So I take the 2 tracks "xxxxxxx.ac3" left by AvsToDvd and using Audacity I add mostly .4 to .6 sec
    of silence at the beginning , then save the new files and replace the audio tracks in the AvsToDvd
    and START again. Then I burn it with IMGBURN if OK. I use VLC (Tool/Track synch) to find how many sec I need
    The .MKV and the original Video_TS are always fine. It's really in AvsToDvd that the synch occur.

Question 1: What can cause such an out of synch.
    Question 2: Is there an easier way to do it.

Thanks all
    Dan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Dan,

if you use the .IFO as the source for AVStoDVD, previous versions had a bug. See this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread?p=2388451&viewfull=1#post2388451

Please use the very latest 2.82 Alpha, it is totally stable IMO, and this bug has been fixed.

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
  22. And if you still have sync issues, please post the project log file.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Suggestion

I know you mentioned it previously, but is there a bit more hope of adding the HC.ini option for those that really want to load the HC.ini instead of hacking the registry, and also the ability to load add your own matrix into the list of possible matrix that's currently available in a similiar fasion to be able to add resizers of your own to the resizers list

Thanks

Hi steptoe,

I have no idea how high your suggestion is on MrC's ToDo list, in the meantime you could try a little tool I just made especially for you...

http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/JrX3xHkt/file.html

This tool makes it possible to add your own HCini commands to the HC.ini file which AVStoDVD generates for every encode. Very easy to use, just enter your commands into a text file to have them appended to the original HC.ini file.

Let me know if this works for you...

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks, I'll give it a go when I get in from work later today

Looks like I'll finally be able to try out the kika custom matrix for anime/cartoon encodes now
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! Again

Still the same, around +0.4 sec needed.
    I include the log file as per your request.

The present video is "Minority Report with Tom Cruise".
    The Video_ts file plays well either by .ifo or .vob

I have a Asus P8Z77-V PRO + Intel i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge) @ 3.6Ghz + 4gb DDR3 ram.
    (Fresh re-install Windows XP SP3)

Does it matter if the input file is on an external drive ?
    Does it matter if the machine has something else to do (Slowing down AvsToDVD) ?

I saw in the "info" Textbox in HCenc 0.26 window "adjusting average bitrate: -0.02%"

Thanks guys.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your log file looks OK to me. And it should not matter if the input files are on an external drive, neither should it matter if your computer does something else while converting.

Maybe MrC has an idea what's going on...

Meanwhile you could try to open your DVD source using a different method. You have two choices:
    1. Use the "Parse DVD" tool to demux all needed elementary streams. Then open the streams in AVStoDVD by adding one stream at a time (start with the m2v of course).

2. Use MakeMKV to repack the desired title into an MKV container, then use this MKV as the source file for AVStoDVD (this is my preferred method).

Good luck
    manolito
    Last edited by manolito; 14th Jun 2015 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really don't understand the first method and as for the second. it means that I have to do one more step.
    1: DvdFab to decrypt
    2: MakeMkv for AvsToDvd (Looseless mkv)
    3: AvsToDvd to check and burn
    4: Handbrake to do a .mkv for backup.

Question 1: Is MakeMkv able to do a .mkv from .ISO (For AvsToDvd)
    2: Is MakeMkv able to shrink from .ISO to H.264 for my backup in .mkv.
    3: Is MakeMkv able to keep both Audio tracks in it's output

I tryied the .mkv (My backup made with Handbrake) as an input to AvsToDvd and the Video_ts is OK.
    The video is 2h:25m long.

Is there a way with AvsToDvd to add a delay on both tracks. (- or +)
    Cause it's very time consuming when I do it with audacity.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, let's forget about the first method because it requires that you have AnyDVD or DVDFab PassKey installed.

The second method will actually save one of your previous steps. DVDFab for decrypting is no longer required since MakeMKV takes care of the encryption just fine. So you can skip your first step.
    Your step #4 is questionable anyways, because HandBrake creates a H.264 MKV which is lossy. For backup purposes you should keep the original format (if HDD space is not an issue). The MKV created by MakeMKV would be ideal as a backup.

Your question #1:
    Yes, MakeMKV can open ISO files, but as I already said, you can skip the DVDFab step.
    #2:
    No, MakeMKV cannot reencode the DVD source to a different format. If you need a smaller H.264 backup then HandBrake (or any other H.264 GUI) must be used.
    #3:
    MakeMKV will keep all audio tracks, all subs and the chapter information (you can deselect the tracks you do not want).

And yes, AVStoDVD can delay the audio tracks independently, you can use different delays for each track. If MediaInfo (or AVSMeter) detects an audio delay, this will be done automatically. But in your case both audio tracks are detected as having 0 audio delay. This means that you will have to enter the audio delay values manually.

After loading your source click "View/Edit Title Settings". Select the "AviSynth" tab, uncheck "Auto AviSynth Script" and click on "Audio". Enter a delay value, you can check the A/V sync by starting the preview (lower left corner button).

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tips. You seem to know well that stuff.

I think I will stay with Handrake using it twice, once for my backup (RF=20) and once for AvsToDvd (RF-15), both in .mkv. But if you tell me
    that there will be a difference in quality with the Handbrake @ RF=15 versus MakeMkv , once passing thru AvsToDvd to DVD5, I'll take a look at MakeMkv. I have more than 350 DVD and growing up for now , and I don't mind a lower quality as backup.

And I'll try the audio trick tomorrow, depending of your reply.

I did have another video this afternoon, Lucky Luke with only one audio track, that have this synchro trouble.

But for now, does it mean that AvsToDvd won't be able to accurately produce the output file while using "Video_ts" as input
    and going straight thru IMGBURN, without checking it before burning?
    Meaning is it safer to use .mkv instead of Video_ts as intput ?

I'm at the start of backing up my collection, so I want something safe and easy as it's for a long run.

Thanks again for kindness
    Dan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by djdan View Post
    Thanks for the tips. You seem to know well that stuff.

I think I will stay with Handrake using it twice, once for my backup (RF=20) and once for AvsToDvd (RF-15), both in .mkv. But if you tell me
    that there will be a difference in quality with the Handbrake @ RF=15 versus MakeMkv , once passing thru AvsToDvd to DVD5, I'll take a look at MakeMkv. I have more than 350 DVD and growing up for now , and I don't mind a lower quality as backup.
    The workflow you have in mind for creating a DVD5 is really not good. You will be converting your source twice using a lossy conversion method. Of course CRF=15 is very high quality, but it is still lossy. You really should go directly to DVD5 from your source.

And I'll try the audio trick tomorrow, depending of your reply.

I did have another video this afternoon, Lucky Luke with only one audio track, that have this synchro trouble.

But for now, does it mean that AvsToDvd won't be able to accurately produce the output file while using "Video_ts" as input
    and going straight thru IMGBURN, without checking it before burning?
    Meaning is it safer to use .mkv instead of Video_ts as intput ?
    Yes, using VOBs directly as input can introduce problems. I remember the good old days of SVCD, and whenever someone complained about sync errors, the first question was: How did you rip your original DVD? At that time DVDDecrypter was the preferred way to do it. Today many people (like Stax and me) recommend MakeMKV.

I'm at the start of backing up my collection, so I want something safe and easy as it's for a long run.
    All the more reason to do some tests in order to establish a method which will always work for you. Try MakeMKV, you've got nothing to lose - it is free (while in Beta, but it has been in Beta forever and will probably stay in Beta forever).

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote