+ Reply to Thread
Page 126 of 137
FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,780 of 4096
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by boffee View Post
    Does this file play in DirectShow based players like MPC-HC or WMP? The LAV video decoder does support Lagarith just fine, it should play.
    AvisynthP.avs fails in MPC-HC Unable to load C Plugin: "ffms2.dll", error= 0x7e. Batch file does not fix it unfortunately. Do i need to install this dll?
    Post the contents of AvisynthP.avs here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AvisynthP.avs fails in MPC-HC Unable to load C Plugin: "ffms2.dll", error= 0x7e. Batch file does not fix it unfortunately. Do i need to install this dll?
    Did you by any chance try to update ffms2 in AVStoDVD? This means asking for trouble...
    A2D uses the so-called C-Plugin version of ffms2 (maintained by qyot27). You cannot replace this DLL by a standard C++ DLL from GitHub, it will not load because the command is different. You can only update ffms2 with another C-Plugin version.
    For updating A2D helper software see this post:
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1814958#post1814958
    And you should make sure that you do not have a different ffms2 version in your AviSynth\Plugins folder. The versions in the AVStoDVD\Lib folder should be the same as the one in the AviSynth\Plugins folder. Copy ffms2.dll and ffms2.avsi from the A2d\Lib folder into the AviSynth\Plugins folder.

And after reading your other thread, please make absolutely sure that you do not mix 32-bit and 64-bit versions. AVStoDVD is a 32-bit software which can only interface with 32-bit helper applications.
    Last edited by manolito; 2nd Mar 2019 at 21:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Contents of AvisynthP.avs:-

Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

# Video is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
    Video = A2DVideoSource("D:\My Videos\1983 centenary.mpg", CacheFolder="C:\Users\KEITHW\AppData\Local\Temp", FrameRate=25)
    # Audio is frameserved by AviSynth just for Preview and Edit purposes.
    Audio = A2DAudioSource("D:\My Videos\1983 centenary.mpg", CacheFolder="C:\Users\KEITHW\AppData\Local\Temp")

Video = Video.ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
    Lanczos4Resize(720,540).ConvertToRGB()
    I have copied files ffms2.dll and ffms2.avsi from the A2d\Lib folder into the AviSynth\Plugins folder. but still no result and it breaks my Film9 software so I have had to restore as was.

I have opened the AVisynthP.avs with AVSPmod and its player plays the video fine but MPC-HC still errors.
    I have tried MPC-HC on one of my other Avisynth scripts and it errors also.
    Last edited by boffee; 3rd Mar 2019 at 08:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This gets a little bit confusing...
    On the previous page where you posted your source file properties you were talking about a Lagarith coded AVI file (tulloch cine edited 3 .avi), now in the preview script you say that it is an MPG file (1983 centenary.mpg). This is not helpful to spot the problem.

In both cases AVStoDVD uses the script "A2DSource.avsi" to select a usable source filter. It tries source filters in this order: AVISource, DSS2Mod with LAVFilters, FFmpegSource, DirectShowSource. If one filter throws an error it tries the next one. In your case FFmpegSource is chosen as the source filter.

This is already suspicious. If Lagarith is correctly installed on your computer then AVISource would be selected (only if the width of the source is divisible by 4). If AVISource does not work then DSS2Mod with LAVFilters will get tried. And this one should work with correctly installed LAVFilters. Could it be that upon LAV installation you unticked the installation of the 32-bit version? Or did you disable Lagarith in the "Supported Formats" list of the video decoder? Or does your LAVFilters installation come from a codec pack? Something is definitely wrong on your side.

For the MPG source file it is different. When loading the source file AVStoDVD suggests to index the file with DGIndex. You should definitely follow this suggestion. If you do then DGDecode will be your source filter, and this one is the most reliable filter for MPG and VOB sources. It does not use DirectShow so an incorrectly installed LAVFilters package cannot get in the way.

MPC-HC by default uses the built-in LAV filters which may be a little older than the latest official version. In the MPC-HC settings you can specify to use the external LAV filters from your own LAV installation instead. But this will not fix your error because the AviSynthP.avs wants to load ffms2.dll which for some reason it can't. Looks to me like you do not have the correct ffms2.dll versions in your "AVStoDVD\Lib" and/or the "AviSynth\Plugins" folders.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Could it be that upon LAV installation you unticked the installation of the 32-bit version? Or did you disable Lagarith in the "Supported Formats" list of the video decoder? Or does your LAVFilters installation come from a codec pack? Something is definitely wrong on your side.
    Well, I have not done any one of those, so basically I give up, I didn't realize this would be so difficult. Anyway, I have set Virtualdub2 in the preferences as external player and it works fine so I can live with it. I usually use VLC instead of MPC-HC so that is OK as well. Thanks very much manolito for your time and explanations. Much appreciated.

For information, I found this on Doom9 AVStoDVD support page.

It could be a problem of compatibility between your video codecs and the directshow library quartz.dll, that it uses to make previews with internal player.
    Last edited by boffee; 6th Mar 2019 at 05:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could be a problem of compatibility between your video codecs and the directshow library quartz.dll, that it uses to make previews with internal player.
    Yes, quartz.dll is ancient history, but in Visual Basic 6 there is nothing which could be done about it. But the combination of the LAV Filters codecs and quartz.dll works, no question about it. This was the reason why I suspected that your LAV Filters codecs are not used (even if installed correctly). You need to check this under "Codecs -> Preferred DirectShow Codecs Setup". All filter entries need must be set to LAV Filters. (The attached screenshot comes from WinXP so preferred filters do not exist here).

Quote Quote  
  7. You need to check this under "Codecs -> Preferred DirectShow Codecs Setup". All filter entries need must be set to LAV Filters.
    Yes everything is set to LAV Filters. I am beginning to wonder if quartz.dll being a Direct X is being prevented from running, maybe some security setting on my PC. I have run dxdiag.exe and it seems to report all is ok. I am getting sound but no video when I run preview.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the version of ffmpeg.exe in the avstodvd support folder is involved.
    Try updating it to the version mentioned by manolito:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread/page125#post2544200
    Quote Quote  
  9. Perhaps the version of ffmpeg.exe in the avstodvd support folder is involved.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread/page125#post2544200
    Ok thanks davexnet, I have now done this, but unfortunately no result. I have run a Codec checker software by Nirsoft and quartz.dll is shown as installed and enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just out of interest, give this a try.
    Start with nothing loaded, enter preferences/avisynth and set video source filter to directshowsource
    OK out, now add your source and retry your menu
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just out of interest, give this a try.
    Start with nothing loaded, enter preferences/avisynth and set video source filter to directshowsource
    OK out, now add your source and retry your menu
    Sorry, done this, same blank video
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There might be some clues in the A2D log. Can you try and encode a small section o (a few thousand frames,
    you can use the trim function on the edit title/avisynth tab)
    from one of these source files? Don't bother about creating the menu.

I'd be interesting in seeing the log, and if you can do so, a short section of the source file itself

Also may be worth uninstalling avisynth, Lav Filters and AvstoDVD, and using the installer package,
    reinstall AVStoDVD and it will offer to reinstall Avisynth and LAV

Which version of Windows are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Uninstalled & reinstalled avisynth and AVStoDVD. No different. Just to recap, the programme works fine in authoring an ISO, DVD etc, it is only the Preview Title Output video that is blank, though I get audio OK. If I change in "paths" to external player such as windows media player or Virtualdub then it works fine. Can only think it is a problem with the config of Directshow Activemovie Library (quartz.dll) on my Windows 10. I have tried swapping back to microsoft codecs temporarily but same result.
    Last edited by boffee; 11th Mar 2019 at 03:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    If you have installed LAV this does not mean that Windows will actually use it. Starting with Win7 Microsoft determined that users are generally too stupid to let them decide which DirectShow source filters they want to use. Windows will use the Microsoft source filters (which are generally total crap) no matter if you have installed different filters.
    I have changed from Microsoft to LAV filters as suggested, but the problem remains. If I right click the video, Preview Title Output is Blank. I have tried an avi and an mpg but makes no difference. Everything plays fine in Windows Media Player. If I change in Preferences, Paths to use External player, Virtualdub, it works. Went back to version 2.8.7 but same result.
    There is a tool, codecs/display directshow filter graph. Load your project and use that tool. Take note of the filters in use and whether thr file plays successfully when you use the play button

Try having a look at this util, its free and runs from where you download it without installing anything

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Preferred-Filter-Tweaker

Microsoft CODECS seem to think they are better than everything and override a lot of better CODFECS, like LAV Filters. Even if you install LAV Filters correctly the microsoft CODECS still takes priority. This little util forces it change to LAV Filters, making them the default and NOT the rubbish CODECS from Microsoft

I had constant problems banging my head trying to work out why things were failing and the preview window wasnt' playing or failing with errors. I reinstalled AVstoDVD multiple times, portable, installable, cleaned ALL traces of AVS toDVD from my system, registry the lot. Still failed

Used this util and showed LAV Filters STILL being overidden by Microsoft CODECS, change them all to LAV filters from video and audio. ALL my problems went away and AVStoDVD plays nicely everytime. If I update or reinstall AVStoDVD this si the first util I check. I also found out that 64-bit filters were not LAV Filtesr either. Solved my problems in 2 minutes
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the version of ffmpeg.exe in the avstodvd support folder is involved.

I use the very latest FFMPEG nightly, and is faster than older versions

BUT you do HAVE to set PATH as described or it WILL fail

Another one I found after much head scratching wondering why FFMPEG worked, but the latest nighties quit with an error instantly

https://github.com/adaptlearning/adapt_authoring/wiki/Installing-FFmpeg

http://blog.gregzaal.com/how-to-install-ffmpeg-on-windows/

Also, DO NOT try the 64-bit version of FFMPEG. It won't work, and you'll just have to reinstall the 32-bit version

I've tried a few times to convince AVStoDVD to work with 64-bit versions of FFMPEG from various compiles and sources but it doesn't like it at
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I had a recent AVS job failure on an HEVC source (using AVS 287), after having successfully done a number of them with the help of tips suggested here. (CX2D-7 also barfed on the same file.) I may first try again with this latest AVS version, to see if there is any different result, and to post the log file. There were two errors I recall from running the job. It complained about extended ASCII characters . . . but I think that was a secondary issue, relative to the main failure. The other error cited a discrepancy of expected running time for the video the likes of which I don't think I've ever seen: a reported actual length of 0, vs. an expected 1H:28M or so. I can't account for that, but think it likely triggered the abort. The file does play fine on the computer using the latest Potplayer. Because it is HEVC, I doubt it would play on any of my streaming boxes . . . which is why I wanted to convert it to DVD format with AVS. A couple of those streaming boxes are hardware-capable for playing these back, but there is no appropriate software player. I'm doubting that there is a legit APK version of Potplayer.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I've tried a few times to convince AVStoDVD to work with 64-bit versions of FFMPEG from various compiles and sources but it doesn't like it at
    You might get it working if you specify FFmpeg Safe Mode in AVStoDVD. This mode bypasses AviSynth altogether (but of course you won't get any AVS filters). If you do not use Safe Mode then you will be asking a 64-bit FFmpeg version to interface with a 32-bit AVS input, and this cannot work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I had a recent AVS job failure on an HEVC source
    HEVC is still a tricky beast, the video and audio formats are still only partially supported by the source filters and by MediaInfo. In any case you need to post your MediaInfo report about the source file, and uploading a small section of the source file will certainly help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    You might get it working if you specify FFmpeg Safe Mode in AVStoDVD. This mode bypasses AviSynth altogether (but of course you won't get any AVS filters). If you do not use Safe Mode then you will be asking a 64-bit FFmpeg version to interface with a 32-bit AVS input, and this cannot work.

That will be why then, I still use 32-bit avisynth+ and 32-bit filters. I keep meaning to look at MP Pipeline to use 64-bit filters on a 32-bit system to see if I get speed increases on some projects but never manage it as it works as it is. If my projects were really slow scripts then I might make more of an effort but its only the odd ones that crawl along so I live with it running it overnight
    Quote Quote  
  20. How do I reorder the audio tracks? I want the main audio to be track 1 since that is what auto played.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before answering your question I'd like to clarify a few points...
    Many container formats allow audio flags. Most importantly audio tracks can be flagged as "Default" and/or "Forced". All current players do honor these flags. Players DO NOT always play the first audio track by default, they only do this if none of the audio tracks is flagged as "Default" or "Forced". This means that in most cases there is no need to physically rearrange the order of the audio tracks. Flagging the desired audio track as "Default" is all you need to do.

If you really need to rearrange the order of the audio tracks, I found that the easiest way is to remux the source file to MKV using MKVToolNix GUI. You can rearrange the track order simply by dragging the track with the mouse to a different position. Plus you have the option to flag any audio track according to your needs as "automatic", "default" or "forced". Then just load the resulting MKV into AVStoDVD.

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I had a recent AVS job failure on an HEVC source
    HEVC is still a tricky beast, the video and audio formats are still only partially supported by the source filters and by MediaInfo. In any case you need to post your MediaInfo report about the source file, and uploading a small section of the source file will certainly help.
    I would say it's become a moot point, because I managed to play the entire film (normally, EN subs & all) on the Skystream TWO using VLC. That is far from a lock, but it worked this time. Just f.y.i., in case anything jumps out here, I am copying below the MediaInfo file report.

================================================== =======

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42 (isom/iso2/mp41)
    File size : 650 MiB
    Duration : 1 h 38 min
    Overall bit rate : 921 kb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2019-01-23 14:42:31
    Tagged date : UTC 2019-01-23 14:42:31
    Writing application : HandBrake 1.2.0 2018121700

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : @L3@Main
    Codec ID : hvc1
    Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Bit rate : 719 kb/s
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 12 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.069
    Stream size : 507 MiB (78%)
    Writing library : x265 2.9:[Windows][GCC 7.1.0][64 bit] 12bit
    Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=2 / numa-pools=4 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=720x576 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=2 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=25 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=0 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=15 / lookahead-slices=0 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=0 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=2 / limit-refs=3 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=2 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=2 / early-skip / rskip / fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=0.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=1 / aq-strength=0.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=255 / sar-width / : / sar-height=832:575 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=5 / transfer=1 / colormatrix=6 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / max-cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=4095 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr / no-hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-mv-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei

Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.601 PAL
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601
    Menus : 4
    Codec configuration box : hvcC

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Commercial name : Dolby Digital
    Codec ID : ac-3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 135 MiB (21%)
    Title : Stereo
    Language : French
    Service kind : Complete Main
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
    Encoded date : UTC 2019-01-23 14:42:31
    Tagged date : UTC 2019-01-23 14:42:31
    Menus : 4

Text
    ID : 3
    Format : VobSub
    Codec ID : mp4s-E0
    Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 5 387 b/s
    Stream size : 3.80 MiB (1%)
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it's HEVC 12 bit, I had a similar error when I forced FFmpeg as the video source filter.
    Did you check codecs/build directshow filters graph to make sure you get a working dshow graph (ie. it plays properly) ?
    Did you have FFmpegsource set as default?
    Last edited by davexnet; 11th Mar 2019 at 19:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did not find any 12-bit HEVC sample for download so I got stuck with a 10-bit HEVC file. And AVStoDVD handled it gracefully. DSS2/LAVFilters as well as ffms2 decoded it without problems. It even worked in FFmpeg Safe Mode, the FFmpeg command line created by AVStoDVD forces the required pixel format of 4:2:0.

So I believe that a 12-bit HEVC source file should not be a problem, but without a sample it is hard to tell. Could you cut out a 1min sample from the beginning of the source and upload it to a file hoster?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a sample
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the sample, but I cannot reproduce your issue...

My setup:

WinXP
    Latest AVStoDVD 2.8.8 with HotFix
    LAV Filters 0.69.0.85 (latest build which works without SSE2)
    FFMS2 C-plugin 1140+101 from 2016
    FFmpeg by Rogerdpack
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmpegwindowsbi/files/2016-07-18/ffmpeg.static.2016-0...e.zip/download

Your sample works fine with DSS2Mod/LAVFilters. Forcing FFmpegSource also works nicely. And specifying FFmpeg Safe Mode for video and audio also works. All 3 conversions had no audio sync issues.

This means that something must be wrong with your setup. Can you post the A2D log file for such a failed conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently updated FFmpeg.exe to the the version you pointed to above, and the ffms2.dll is
    the one in the avstodvd 2.88 "lib" sub-folder.

Just out of interest, I pointed the script to a different version of ffms2.dll, the one from the 2.86 version of A2d and the job worked this time.
    Here are the properties, 2018 version (fail) and 2016 version (good)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ffms-288.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	48350  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ffms2-286.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	48351  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is my experience, too. See here:
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1814958#post1814958

The ffms2 version from 2016 is the one which works for me most reliably.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it's HEVC 12 bit, I had a similar error when I forced FFmpeg as the video source filter.
    Did you check codecs/build directshow filters graph to make sure you get a working dshow graph (ie. it plays properly) ?
    Did you have FFmpegsource set as default?
    Where do I check these settings ? (And the graph.)
    I used HC 2-pass, with AQ=2, LUM = 1, & Fox-2 Matrix -- as had been suggested here. That's what I've been doing for all the HEVC or X265 material, and which has mostly worked. I do have the LAV filters. I know that the file played on the computer with Potplayer, and on the Skystream using VLC. So, I'm not inclined to think it was a defective file in some way. No problem with the extended ASCII subs, either. They were quite readable and well-synced.

I can also switch to the older ffms2.dll. Will try to cut out a sample and post it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's a separate but possibly (sometimes) related problem: I've never been able to get sound working on this particular computer, which is running Win 7 Ultra X64. The sound drivers just never "took." No clear cut errors, when trying to apply them either. I've confirmed that this is not a hardware failure of any kind. Also have an identical computer running the same OS, which does have sound. What it may come down to is a tedious comparison of all possibly relevant files and working services between the two rigs.

But that's not even the immediate question, which I'm getting to. When I tried to extract a clip, for the purposes of posts # 3774 & 3779 above, I got an error saying that the file could not be loaded (in this case into Machete, my 'Go To' light editor), because the AC3 codec was not present. Maybe I can just apply it retroactively ? But, here's my question:

I know that AVS wants the LAV filters. Looking at this list

https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/codec-packs

which codecs or codec packs should I have installed, for maximum coverage and versatility ? Bearing in mind that I know the warnings about codec packs screwing up some other installed software, which I definitely want to avoid doing. I realize that it may be necessary to cure that lack-of-sound issue first, at least for this rig, but I think the desirable-codecs answer should also have applicability to other computers that I run.

[I should mention that wherever possible, I tend to run portable app versions. So, they are more self-contained, and less prone to clashes with other apps or app files that may be present. AVS is an exception to that, as I tend to go with the installation version.]
    Quote Quote