+ Reply to Thread
Page 122 of 137
FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 120 121 122 123 124 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,660 of 4096
Thread
  1. Yo seeker47,

Howbout this pinhallOfame?

http://www.vpforums.org/

Probably the best website for pinballs like you and i.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Meanwhile, as workaround, you have 2 options:

- Export the chapters from your mkv and use the Import Chapters tool (Edit Title > Chapters)
    Thanks MrC for the explanation, I do have a couple of additional remarks for this method...

A2D can only import chapters in the IFOEdit Celltimes format (for exporting chapters it also supports the OGG format). This means that you need a method to export the chapters from the source MKV in the Celltimes format. MKVExtract cannot do this, so MKVMergeGUI-2 and also GPower-MKVMergeGui have no option to do this. The only software which can do this directly without an additional conversion step (from OGG to Celltimes) is chapterEditor by hubblec4. But unfortunately this tool relies on the correct versions of MKVToolNix.

The version of MKVToolNix which comes with A2D is 6 years old and VERY deprecated. Only older versions of chapterEditor work with this version. It makes sense to install a current version of MKVToolNix (unless you are still using WinXP) and then use the current version of chapterEditor.

Importing chapters as frame numbers also has a few more implications if A2D is used to change the frame rate, especially if a standards conversion from NTSC to PAL or from PAL to NTSC (with Soft Pulldown) comes into play. The chapter points will only be correct if they are recalculated using the "Presentation Framerate" (NOT the Encoding Framerate). For an NTSC target with Pulldown a frame rate of 29.97 and not 23.976 must be used. If A2D is told to employ PAL speedup or NTSC speeddown then users need to be careful again to use the correct reference frame rate.

All this leads me to a feature request for AVStoDVD (I think djerk will agree):
    It would be real nice if A2D could import chapters in the OGG format additionally. Users would not need to pay any attention to the correct frame numbers, A2D would do all the math. Probably a lot of work for MrC, so I'm not sure how far up on the ToDo list this request will end.

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the following error with the Release 2.8.7 Alpha build 171212 but it did make the DVD successfully, tho it is oversized at 4,8Gb so I have to use DVDShrink or DVDFab to re-encode it to a normal 4,3Gb DVD-R ...
    For some reason I can not upload the image here,so I link it to an external site..
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	avstodvd_error.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	45139  

Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    The version of MKVToolNix which comes with A2D is 6 years old and VERY deprecated. Only older versions of chapterEditor work with this version. It makes sense to install a current version of MKVToolNix (unless you are still using WinXP) and then use the current version of chapterEditor.
    The next A2D release will have both MKVToolNix and MediaInfo updated to the more recent releases.

Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    It would be real nice if A2D could import chapters in the OGG format additionally. Users would not need to pay any attention to the correct frame numbers, A2D would do all the math. Probably a lot of work for MrC, so I'm not sure how far up on the ToDo list this request will end.
    Ok, will do.

Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
    I got the following error with the Release 2.8.7 Alpha build 171212 but it did make the DVD successfully, tho it is oversized at 4,8Gb so I have to use DVDShrink or DVDFab to re-encode it to a normal 4,3Gb DVD-R ...
    For some reason I can not upload the image here,so I link it to an external site..
    Hi Kamala, welcome there. A couple of questions: do you get the same error with the latest AVStoDVD 2.8.7 stable build? If yes, could you upload the project log file?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM

The warning you get if you have installed ffdshow and LAV Filters at the same time is just a precaution. If you have set the Preferred DirectShow Filters to LAV then the LAV Filters will get used even if ffdshow is also installed. One thing which might cause problems is the splitter. With ffdshow you need to install a separate splitter, and in most cases this will be the Haali splitter. Haali has the nasty habit to put itself to the foreground even if the LAV splitter was installed later (with a higher filter merit). This may or may not work, you need to find out for yourself.

Cheers
    manolito

Does that mean I should ditch Haali ? (I can't be sure of this offhand, but there may be some other installed programs having this dependency ? Not even sure how I would go about checking that out.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ]
    DVD-RB would be a third option.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    ]
    True, that would be the best option..
    I have it installed aswell.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ]
    True, that would be the best option..
    I have it installed aswell.
    actually if you post your log, it would be helpful in determining what went wrong,
    99% of the time AVStoDVD gets the bitrate right
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does that mean I should ditch Haali ? (I can't be sure of this offhand, but there may be some other installed programs having this dependency ? Not even sure how I would go about checking that out.)
    Haali development has stopped quite a while ago, and in my experience the LAV splitter can do everything (almost...) what Haali does. At least for me all software which claims that it needs Haali works with LAV splitter, too. Unless the software explicitly checks for the presence of Haali.

Here is what nevcairiel (LAV developer) says about Haali:
    However, some other splitters register in a "bad" way and force all players
    to use them. The Haali Media Splitter is one of those, and to give priority
    to the LAVFSplitter you have to either uninstall Haali or rename its .ax file
    at least temporarily.
    This does not mean that the LAV video and audio filters do not work with Haali. But if you get some weird audio-video sync problems with certain source files then the first thing I would do is disable Haali.

In AVStoDVD there is an easy way to determine which splitter gets actually used. Under "Codecs" create a DirectShow Filter Graph. The box to the left is the splitter. Right-click on it and choose "Properties". This will tell you if Haali or LAV is used as your splitter.

Cheers
    manolito
    Last edited by manolito; 12th Apr 2018 at 23:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by djerk View Post
    Yo seeker47,

Thanks for the link, will check into it. Don't want to wander too far afield of this thread except very briefly, but I have heard from fellow hobbyists on VH from time to time. Pinside.com seems to be the major online enthusiast community that has come to my attention. Besides my longtime sig, the museum in Banning CA. (so far only open to the public a few times per year, unfortunately) is a wonderful facility, and less than half the drive to LV.

At first glance, that forum seems to concentrate on the virtual game -- a somewhat controversial category. It's true that some major strides have been made in the simulations. I've sampled a few of them. But I have some doubts as to whether they will ever actually be able to duplicate the "real thing" experience.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD Error! AviSynth is NOT installed. Most of encoding routines will not work.

I researched this error code and followed the advice to install it to the same directory as AVStoDVD. I still get this error. What am I doing wrong??
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hi.heaux View Post
    AVStoDVD Error! AviSynth is NOT installed. Most of encoding routines will not work.

I researched this error code and followed the advice to install it to the same directory as AVStoDVD. I still get this error. What am I doing wrong??
    What advice did you follow?
    Download it from here and install to default locations

https://www.videohelp.com/download/AviSynth_260.exe
    Quote Quote  
  13. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    This post.

I did download it here at Videohelp. And before you ask, I installed with the full installer, not Portable.

And I've been reading every Wiki, every guide — for both of the programs — and every similar query here on Videohelp. Like blues legend Willie Dixon first composed (and Led Zeppelin made famous): I can't quit you babe, but I have to put you down for a little while! During the install I basically left every default in place, with the exception that I have the program installed to a different directory. This looks like such a great program, I just wish I understood why it won't work.

On a whim I dropped an MP4 'tube video into the main interface of AVStoDVD and changed very few of its options — just to see if I could get anything in the program to work — when suddenly a Command window popped up and the program began compiling (something) into a huge .M2V file, roughly the equivalent of a blank DVD. I have FAB DVD 7 and (as you can guess) FAB couldn't find anything in the directory, even when I tried its Raw/Mobile method. That shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone since what it compiled was a mangled something-or-other without AviSynth.

In researching all possible conflicts I read something about FAVC conflicting with (something). I do have this installed. I also have a log from AVStoDVD. What do you think?

EDIT:
    I didn't install IMGBURN because I have Ultra ISO (and a bunch of other ISO tools) and my plan was to write the ISO — as I do currently when backing up my movies — and then burn it using any of a handful of rippers I use.
    Last edited by hi.heaux; 14th Apr 2018 at 20:09.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This post.

I did download it here at Videohelp. And before you ask, I installed with the full installer, not Portable.

And I've been reading every Wiki, every guide — for both of the programs — and every similar query here on Videohelp. Like blues legend Willie Dixon first composed (and Led Zeppelin made famous): I can't quit you babe, but I have to put you down for a little while! During the install I basically left every default in place, with the exception that I have the program installed to a different directory. This looks like such a great program, I just wish I understood why it won't work.

On a whim I dropped an MP4 'tube video into the main interface of AVStoDVD and changed very few of its options — just to see if I could get anything in the program to work — when suddenly a Command window popped up and the program began compiling (something) into a huge .M2V file, roughly the equivalent of a blank DVD. I have FAB DVD 7 and (as you can guess) FAB couldn't find anything in the directory, even when I tried its Raw/Mobile method. That shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone since what it compiled was a mangled something-or-other without AviSynth.

In researching all possible conflicts I read something about FAVC conflicting with (something). I do have this installed. I also have a log from AVStoDVD. What do you think?
    That advice is wrong. Avisynth is a system wide tool, usable by any program that accepts .avs scripts as input. The install creates a folder in \Program Files(x86)
    and avisynth.dll goes into \Windows\SysWOW64 (64 bit OS). For a 32 bit OS the locations are \Program Files and \Windows\System32

It's easy enough to see if it is installed properly, create a simple file in notepad and save it as test.avs on the desktop
    it should contain one line
    version()

Drag it into Virtualdub filtermod and you should see some info about it
    Quote Quote  
  15. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That advice is wrong. Avisynth is a system wide tool, usable by any program that accepts .avs scripts as input. The install creates a folder in \Program Files(x86) and avisynth.dll goes into \Windows\SysWOW64 (64 bit OS). For a 32 bit OS the locations are \Program Files and \Windows\System32

It's easy enough to see if it is installed properly, create a simple file in notepad and save it as test.avs on the desktop
    version()

Oh man did I get that wrong! Okay, I'll do it. Should I just uninstall everything and begin from scratch? I have VirtualDub (used it for years, great app) but I gather the filtermod is a different animal? Can I put it in my same VirtualDub folder?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That advice is wrong. Avisynth is a system wide tool, usable by any program that accepts .avs scripts as input. The install creates a folder in \Program Files(x86) and avisynth.dll goes into \Windows\SysWOW64 (64 bit OS). For a 32 bit OS the locations are \Program Files and \Windows\System32

version()

Oh man did I get that wrong! Okay, I'll do it. Should I just uninstall everything and begin from scratch? I have VirtualDub (used it for years, great app) but I gather the filtermod is a different animal? Can I put it in my same VirtualDub folder?
    Virtualdub Filtermod (AKA Virtualdub2) is a replacement with many functional updates, using many of the same file names. Best to use a separate folder.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub Filtermod (AKA Virtualdub2) is a replacement with many functional updates, using many of the same file names. Best to use a separate folder.
    Okay, I want to be absolutely certain I get these steps explicitly correct since there are 3 different programs we're talking about. Edit as needed:
    1. I'm uninstalling VirtualDub? [YES] [NO]
    2. I'm uninstalling AviSynth? [YES] [NO]
    3. I'm safe to leave AVStoDVD in its current directory on my preferred partition? [YES] [NO]
    4. I'm safe to install the [32bit version] of VirtualDub2 to my preferred partition? [YES] [NO]
    5. I'm installing Avisynth to \Program Files\avisynth\ which is its Default folder? [YES] [NO]
    6. The Avisynth install will automatically register avisynth.dll to \Windows\System32? [YES] [NO]
    ... Or do I have to place the avisynth.dll file in \Windows\System32 manually?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's easy enough to see if it is installed properly, create a simple file in notepad and save it as test.avs on the desktop. it should contain one line

version()

I got it to work. Dave thank you so much. AVStoDVD opens like champ, and the test is flawless in virtualdub2. Is this the preferred thread for additional AVStoDVD questions? They really should give the program its own hub (just my 2˘).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this the preferred thread for additional AVStoDVD questions? They really should give the program its own hub (just my 2˘).
    Yes it is...

This thread has been here since 2007, so most A2D users have gotten used to this location. Just bookmark the URL...

FWIW there are two other AVStoDVD forums. One is at SourceForge, but it is not very active. The other one (the oldest one) is at Doom9. Doom9 is a little more developer orientated than VideoHelp, and since most developers are now abandoning the DVD format it also has become a little quiet lately. So I guess that this is the right place for you.

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
  20. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it is... (the preferred thread for additional AVStoDVD questions) manolito
    Hey Manolito, thanks for clarifying that.

I have a 'tube video that I downloaded with VLC and saved as an .MP4 file (approximately 250 MB). As Dave advised, I need to convert this .MP4 file to the one file type my cheap, Non-BluRay DVD Player will recognize, ►MPEG-2 (aka MPEG2).

This is my first attempt to reproduce a youtube video into something that I can burn onto a blank DVD playable on my DVD player. Up to now I've been backing up my movie collection to .ISO files stored on my computer's hard drive, using primarily ►DVDFAB version 7. I've submitted each .ISO to a pre-burn test using an old video utility called ►DVD SHRINK on the premise that if an old trooper like SHRINK can't open the file, there is no way I'm going to start burning coasters! If anyone has a better, bulletproof utility than SHRINK I welcome all suggestions.

And thank you to VideoHelp for curating this thread. I had hoped I might be able to download the entire thread —all 122 pages — but there is apparently no way to do it, and I'm not going to sit here 122 times doing it manually.

Where should I start with AVStoDVD? Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The most important thing to do is in the preferences - set whether you want PAL or NTSC output.

The program defaults to Directshow for it's source filters, so you should have something like LAV filters installed.
    The alternative is to set FFmpegsource for video and audio on the avisynth tab which works pretty well.

Most of the stuff in the preferences are self explanatory and can be left at the defaults.

You should invest in a small supply of re-writable disks for your testing, then you don't have to worry about wasting disks
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM

Where should I start with AVStoDVD? Thanks everyone.
    You can find good beginner's guides here and here.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flips61 View Post
    Yes the first one is Baldrick's 122-Page Impossible-To-Download Guide I complained of in my previous post. But the CLUB.MYCE.COM GUIDE is perfect flips, and rich with graphics (which never hurts). With a touch of editing (in Firefox's Print Edit Addon) in minutes I downloaded the entire mercifully-on-one-page file and I thank you. I still want Baldrick's thread (for the rich content that comes right after his lead post) but I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

The most important thing to do is in the preferences - set whether you want PAL or NTSC output.
    O Ho and do I know about PAL. I only have my cheap R1 DVD player but I have two very expensive UK Shakespeare titles in PAL with which I'm biding my time until I have a region-free player (which may be never since I'm primarily a reader).
    The program defaults to Directshow for it's source filters, so you should have something like LAV filters installed.
    I'm pretty certain I installed these.
    The alternative is to set FFmpegsource for video and audio on the avisynth tab which works pretty well. Most of the stuff in the preferences are self explanatory and can be left at the defaults.
    GOOD! Have mercy! Let me understand this one before we introduce a 4th program (they'll have to put me in a rubber room)
    You should invest in a small supply of re-writable disks for your testing, then you don't have to worry about wasting disks
    Okay I'm going to pause here because this is important. I'm happy to use my rewriteables but I've always been under the impression that rewriteables are notoriously unstable media: They'll play some titles, won't others; they'll like some players, not others; and they'll like some brands of rewriteable media, not others. I presume you read my reference to DVD SHRINK? What do you think about that old trooper? Or is there some other one you prefer for pre-burn testing?

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flips61 View Post
    Yes the first one is Baldrick's 122-Page Impossible-To-Download Guide I complained of in my previous post. But the CLUB.MYCE.COM GUIDE is perfect flips, and rich with graphics (which never hurts). With a touch of editing (in Firefox's Print Edit Addon) in minutes I downloaded the entire mercifully-on-one-page file and I thank you. I still want Baldrick's thread (for the rich content that comes right after his lead post) but I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

O Ho and do I know about PAL. I only have my cheap R1 DVD player but I have two very expensive UK Shakespeare titles in PAL with which I'm biding my time until I have a region-free player (which may be never since I'm primarily a reader).
    I'm pretty certain I installed these.
    The alternative is to set FFmpegsource for video and audio on the avisynth tab which works pretty well. Most of the stuff in the preferences are self explanatory and can be left at the defaults.
    GOOD! Have mercy! Let me understand this one before we introduce a 4th program (they'll have to put me in a rubber room)
    Okay I'm going to pause here because this is important. I'm happy to use my rewriteables but I've always been under the impression that rewriteables are notoriously unstable media: They'll play some titles, won't others; they'll like some players, not others; and they'll like some brands of rewriteable media, not others. I presume you read my reference to DVD SHRINK? What do you think about that old trooper? Or is there some other one you prefer for pre-burn testing?

Thanks everyone.
    FFmpegsource is not another program. It's a setting in the AVStoDVD preferences.

I'm not sure what you're doing with DVD shrink. I always create VIDEO_TS folder (ISO will also work) and then see if it plays back as I expect
    on the computer. Assuming it's good I then burn it it to a disk. Are you trying to make the process more complicated than it is??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know the degree to which that concern about rewriteable discs may be overstated. (Some sources claimed 'X' # of uses before reliability issues crept in, 'X' possibly being a fairly low number.) I've historically had good luck with the TDK 4x-rated rewriteable discs, which seem to have gotten harder to find. (Had to order my last batch online, and they may have come from an eBay seller in the U.K. ?) One thing you can do, as soon as you know you have a good, working disc, and want to turn the contents into a keeper, is copy it off right away to a regular dvd, or at least to hard drive storage. Then you've got it, no matter what becomes of the temp / test disc.

It happens that these days I burn a small fraction of the discs that I once did. Most anything of consequence goes onto portable HDD storage -- usually to copies on a couple HDDs, for safety and redundancy. A portion of that will in time get deleted to free up space, once it has been viewed and is no longer deemed a keeper.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by djerk View Post
    Yo seeker47,

Thanks for the link, will check into it. Don't want to wander too far afield of this thread except very briefly, but I have heard from fellow hobbyists on VH from time to time. Pinside.com seems to be the major online enthusiast community that has come to my attention. Besides my longtime sig, the museum in Banning CA. (so far only open to the public a few times per year, unfortunately) is a wonderful facility, and less than half the drive to LV.

At first glance, that forum seems to concentrate on the virtual game -- a somewhat controversial category. It's true that some major strides have been made in the simulations. I've sampled a few of them. But I have some doubts as to whether they will ever actually be able to duplicate the "real thing" experience.

Seeker47, pls register on vpforums and you will enter pinball heaven.
    All the info you need to make yre own table, and *all* the downloads available to turn your pc into a virtual pinball table.
    Stern, Williams, Bally.... its all there.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Thanks so much maniputilo, for kickin MrErnieC's butt on my behalf, hehe.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    FFmpegsource is not another program. It's a setting in the AVStoDVD preferences.
    Okay.
    I'm not sure what you're doing with DVD shrink. I always create VIDEO_TS folder (ISO will also work) and then see if it plays back as I expect on the computer. Assuming it's good I then burn it it to a disk. Are you trying to make the process more complicated than it is??
    No, I think we're describing the same thing: If it plays under DVD SHRINK, there is typically a (something like) 90% probability that it will play on my cheap R1 DVD player. Thus far my experience has been limited to backing up my DVD FILM & TV collection. It goes something like this:

......1. If it's a title/set I purchased Used from Ebay, wash the disc(s) w/soap & lukewarm water
    ......2. Using my flatbed scanner, perform Hi-Res scans of my covers, inserts & boxes
    ......3. Using VirtualDub if needed, extract any particularly notable frames as .PNG graphics
    ......4. Using VirtualDub if needed, extract select performance clips to .MP4

.............(the one .MP4 I extracted using VirtualDub came out perfectly, so I'm very comfortable using this great little program!)
    ......5. Using FAB 7, uncheck previews of other titles not explicitly related to my title and save as #1.ISO
    ......6. Using DVD SHRINK, open and then confirm that the #1.ISO plays; uncheck all language options other than English; and save it as #2.ISO
    ......7. Using DVD SHRINK, confirm that the English-Only #2.ISO plays

.............In the unlikely event that DVD SHRINK can't read its own English-Only #2.ISO -and/or-
    ...........issues remain, I resign myself to attempt editing with my
    least favorite editor, VobBlanker.

VobBlanker remains the most problematic video editing utility I have ever used, and it's one reason why I hope to learn — and then replace it with — AVStoDVD. My attempt at getting one of my PAL titles to export to NTSF format was so butchered after a VobBlanker session not only did it lock up my computer, it locked up my DVD player such that I had to cut the power and manually get the disc out of my player with a paperclip! Still, SHRINK being unable to open its own compiled file is the exception, not the rule. So
    ......8. After verifying DVD SHRINK reads/plays its own language-edited temporary #2.ISO file I RIP it one last time — to #3.ISO — and it's pretty much fair sailing from this point.
    ......9. If I have room on the disc, I open #3.ISO in Utra ISO and add goodies (reviews, scene notes, actor roles, posters, covers, links, TV Episode Notes, and performance pics etc.), before I
    .....10. Burn the .ISO with Ultra ISO

Let me add: This looks like a nightmare, but I'm spelling it out explicitly for the benefit of anyone wishing to follow the steps I use. In fact, the bit that does take time is/are the graphics . . . but I can imagine most people aren't as obsessive with graphics quality as I am (ask my scanner; he'll tell you)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One thing you can do, as soon as you know you have a good, working disc, and want to turn the contents into a keeper, is copy it off right away to a regular dvd, or at least to hard drive storage.
    I hear you brother. Mine are on hard drives curated in a safe deposit box. This is why I immediately backup new titles in my collection. One scratch, and you've pissed away $(fill it in). The other issue with me is that my most valuable titles aren't new releases, but old ones: I have my entire 1966-71 DARK SHADOWS TV series (ABC) backed up. And there are other of my older TV series likewise backed up, the Original 1970s SURVIVORS TV series (BBC) to name another. Twilight Zone? Well D'UH! My house can burn down but nothing threatens my TV/Film backups unless you're robbing the damn bank!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ hi.heaux

Here are some of my thoughts about your conversion workflow (in random order):

There is no such thing as "The One And Only Correct Way" to do such conversions, use whatever works for you.

Does DVDFab convert the main movie only, or does it keep the menus and extras (unless you uncheck some of them)?

Checking the ISO with DVDShrink is just one way to check it. VLC does play ISO files directly. You can mount the ISO with VirtualCloneDrive or similar. After all ISO is just a container. If it does not play then the content within this container is broken, not the ISO container.

For burning DVD-Video ISO files I would recommend using IMGBurn instead of UltraIso. IMGBurn does some smart things before burning like aligning the BUP files or put the layer break to an appropriate location.

I believe that VOBBlanker has no room in your workflow, AVStoDVD is certainly no replacement for VOBBlanker.

Now about PAL to NTSC standard conversion:

First of all you should find out if your player cannot play PAL DVDs because of the region code, or because it generally rejects the PAL format. The majority of players sold in the US choke on the PAL format, but the real cheap ones mostly accept it. To test this you can remove the region code from one of your PAL DVDs by transcoding it in "Full DVD" mode with DVDShrink. This will keep it in PAL, but removes the region code. If your player accepts this DVD then you have got no reason to do a standards conversion at all.

BTW have you checked if you can make your cheap DVD player region free? VideoHelp has a section "DVD Hacks", and with a little bit of luck you may find a keystroke pattern on your remote which makes the player region free.

If you do need to do a standards conversion to NTSC then AVStoDVD is indeed an excellent choice. But it requires a little understanding about the differences between the two standards. You should be familiar with the meaning of Telecine and Pulldown, you need to understand what Interlaced is all about. AVStoDVD supports all the different methods to convert PAL to NTSC, but the user needs to pick the right one. And of course you have to know that you can only convert single titles, there is no way to keep the original menus and extras.

Cheers
    manolito
    Last edited by manolito; 24th Apr 2018 at 04:44.
    Quote Quote