VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you using special toolbars in your web browser?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you have a lot of extra toolbars setup in your webbrowser?

I have a few video/pic search bars installed at the moment. Though I don't think I'll be using them much. I generally like my display free of clutter. They'll probably come off the next time I think about it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just a single toolbar with back/forward/refresh/stop/home/address bar/and search. I find additional toolbars annoying.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just the Web Developer addon for firefox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Toolbars = spyware!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is a browser?
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Took me four hours to get rid of one of those damn things on my dad's computer. I leave them alone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, no NO! I hate them, and every app you download (lately even apps from previously "trusted" sources) that try to sneak a toolbar or 2 past you, as part of the install. This used to be a practice employed in the dark alleys of the Internet - now it's suddenly everyday accepted practice, just like popunder ads and whatnot. What is this world coming to...?
    The upside is I pay more attention to the EULA before I hit Accept.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not just "no", but "HELL NO!".
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dwill123
    Toolbars = spyware!
    Depends on what toolbar and what your definition of spyware is or what's acceptable to you. I use the the Google toolbar for example and it has a feature to report Googles pagerank when viewing a page. It's useful for people like myself who want to gauge how relevant Google feels your pages or the competitions pages are. Only way for it to work is for it to report what page you are viewing to Google, this is something I want and don't consider it spyware. Also note this feature can be turned off if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some apps that give you a choice regarding add-ins etc. have the "yes, install" choice as the default. It pays to take a little time when installing anything to make sure there are no embedded surprises. For example, Sun Java will install some Google add-in stuff if you aren't careful. It's tempting when installing any kind of software to rush through it by clicking next, next, next, yes, install. But it is important to take a little bit of time and read what it is "asking" first. Otherwise, you will inevitably wind up with some stuff in your system that you don't want.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    But it is important to take a little bit of time and read what it is "asking" first. Otherwise, you will inevitably wind up with some stuff in your system that you don't want.
    http://itstudent.org/blog/stuff2/ie-toolbar-hell.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Toolbars are the Devil!!! even Google ... Remember when Google used to automatically put the most relevant pages at the top of the searches? When did they become advertising whores?
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nitemare
    Toolbars are the Devil!!! even Google ... Remember when Google used to automatically put the most relevant pages at the top of the searches? When did they become advertising whores?
    You cannot buy your way into Google search results, if the results are poor blame it on the spammers and Googles inability to filter them out. You can only purchase ads on the left or top, both of which are clearly marked as ads.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No way, never, I hate them. I hate Explorer 7 as it added another unnecessary line in the toolbar. Reminds me of NetZero where a large part of that screen is covered with toolbars. Not on my browser.

There was a post a few months ago that had a link that showed where someone had made up a whole browser page of just add on toolbars with nothing left for a browser window. Funny. Wish I'd saved it.

EDIT: I should have read closer. Midzuki has it: http://itstudent.org/blog/stuff2/ie-toolbar-hell.jpg Perfect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nitemare
    Remember when Google used to automatically put the most relevant pages at the top of the searches? When did they become advertising whores?
    About at the moment they had enough regulars. I'm confident it's been in their business plan all along.
    The reason I "discovered", and immediately switched to, google was I was sick & tired of all images, flash animations, popunders and popovers you hade to wade thru in all "search engines" at the time, and google came out just delivering what I searched for.
    At least google doesn't litter their pages with graphic ads - "Sponsored links" (what a nice metphor for advertisement!) top/right I can live with.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google = Spyware

Google collects massive amounts of data on your searches and sites visited and sells it in varying forms.

Remember, if you have a broadband connection with fixed IP address, your are identified even if not logged into Google.

You see if you can understand their privacy policy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    Google collects massive amounts of data on your searches and sites visited and sells it in varying forms.
    Of course. It's a business, not public service.
    Remember, if you have a broadband connection with fixed IP address, your are identified even if not logged into Google.
    As there's no way they can know if I'm on a fixed or dynamic IP, I can't be identified by my IP, no. They may assume I'm the same user based on IP, but even that is far fetched, as many share the same public IP - at work maybe 1000's of users, at (my) home at least 3, with completely different Intenet habits.
    You see if you can understand their privacy policy.
    Not without hiring a lawyer, no...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  18. Of course!, My WebSearch Rules!!!!

Yeah right!.....

1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Google = Spyware
    I don't know how many times this has been said by me and others elsewhere. It's not spyware. The features it has that do collect data can be turned off, they are not hidden. It even asks you during the installation if you want these features turned on.

??? you identified by your IP every site you visit, it's no different than going to google.com to do your search.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Way too many Toolbars are installed by spyware as spyware. They will steal your privacy, They will slow down your computer, they will slow down your internet.

Install a toolbar, I include Googletoolbar too ? No thanks I want my computer to work properly, speedily. I'd just as soon Mow a lawn covered in dog byproducts barefoot.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ooooops! I had forgotten to mention this one:

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1743310/toolbarhell.jpg

Fortunately Mozilla-based browsers cannot get that sick

+++++++++
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    needlesearch is a great malware free toolbar. I highly recommend it. I've seen a few other good toolbars, but the majority are spyware city.

Rog
    There are many ways to measure success. You just have to find your own yardstick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well finally uninstalled my two toolbars I added. I didn't really use them anyway. No sense in adding a potential hazard to my system right? I won't be adding any more third party toolbars except if they come from microsoft or yahoo or ebay and google and the like. Those I could trust I guess. Otherwise I'll keep away.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote