VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    In trying to troubleshoot ERR-14 problems with a Toshiba RD-XS32, I began attempts to identify bad media, even if it was TY.

Things like "edge burr" have been suggested as indication of "seconds" or "factory rejects."

Inspection of the edge, however, revealed a whole universe of defects - the main one is the termination of the dye layer.

What I have gathered is that the dye layer is supposed to taper to a knife edge at its OD or radius.

I have seen:

1) Wandering radii,
    2) Jagged dye "fingers" where the taper is supposed to be that do not even reach the intended OD,
    3) Circumferential cracks where the taper starts,
    4) Evidence of a clear, bonding layer which DOES NOT reach the OD of the dye - the gap between I believe is separation,
    5) Many types of defects on a single disc as you inspect the entire edge (areas of type 1, 2, 3, 4 all on the same disc)

I haven't taken pictures yet nor logged specific manu codes although the discs I checked were Maxell 4x dvd-r yellow and Playo.

Can anyone comment on this?

Regards
    Tom
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have access to a microscope with camera? If so, take photos. It would be interesting and very revealing to see the discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are they 16x discs? When the D-R4 gives that code during finalization it needs a firmware update for 16x discs. There may be an update for the XS32 too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    samijubal,

First, the discs I use were 360 Maxels I bot a few years ago when OfficeMax clearanced them out (something like $3 for a 20 pack w/jewel cases (!) )

So the media should be a constant through out all this. All the problems are related to the last 2 cases I opened. What is suspicious about them is that they contain discs from TWO DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS! TY and MXL I think. Bottom of the barrel maybe?

Further ironically, I only had these problems just a couple of weeks after I installed the latest firmware I received from Toshiba.

So something changed, either the deck or the media. But I can't rule out the media.

I'll work on some images of these edges.
    Quote Quote  
  5. "...TY and MXL..."

bought the same stuff couple of years ago except they were spindles. they are gold in color. have not examine them microscopically but have had no failures. All the spindles I bought (had to look for them individually) were from Japan. still have couple of spindles left myself. all mine are TY.

would love to see some the edges you've uncovered.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, in the beginning, all the cases I was opening were TY's because I remember how happy I was scoring a huge stash of TY's for 15 cents a piece w/jewels....

Only after I started having problems and started inspecting discs again, did I realize I had MXL's too. And to have BOTH in the same 20 disc case sounds real fishy. Has ANYONE ever found TWO DIFFERENT manufacturers' discs in a single case/package/spindle???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These were probably the last of the 4x Maxells and Officemax probably got a deal on remaining inventory - hence the mixed mediaIDs. Maxell probably swept the floors to fill the order.

In the period when 4x were being discontinued OfficeMax got a lot of "deals", many of which were sufficiently bad they had to blow the media out.

Any of the older Playo disks were made by manufacturers which were not noted for quality control, I'd believe anything about them. I'd be surprised if you saw this on 16x Playo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a pic that shows the "jaggeds Type 2" defects. They are visible with the naked eye - easily with reading glasses. You can see the different color of the "taper area" where the dye goes from a full layer to zero thickness edge.

While not perfectly forcused, there are traces of what I think is separation which occurs outboard from the line OD edge of the dye. The radial length of this separation is maybe 1/20th to 1/50th of the radial length of the dye taper.

Quote Quote