VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sorry for the second post in a short period, but I've pretty much switched directions from getting a converter for component to s-video and instead would like to buy a DVD recorder with component inputs to record directly from my cable box HD channels (with box outputting 480i of course). Anyway, anyone know of a list of readily available (used/refurb/new) out there for a US consumer so I can get going? I don't think there's a way to search for that feature in the DVD recorders list available on this website.

Thanks,

Ryan
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rba46
    would like to buy a DVD recorder with component inputs to record directly from my cable box HD channels (with box outputting 480i of course). Anyway, anyone know of a list of readily available (used/refurb/new) out there for a US consumer so I can get going?
    The only one I ever heard of like that was the first Polaroid model (w/ 80G HDD -- the 2001G ?), and perhaps they carried that over to the succeeding model that had a 160G HDD ? Quality and performance wise, though, these were said to be a very mixed bag.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The few recorders with component inputs that I have seen were not able to actually record from component. The input was there purely for the purpose of using the recorder as an input switch.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use a Philips 720/17 HDRW 120GB that has Component input. This model is infamous for its crappy TV Guide EPG, I also have a Liteon 5007 TV Guide recorder, no problem with that EPG. I don't use to record TV anyway, I can still do a manual recording if I need to.

I use my hacked Ilo R04 has the component source (set on Interlace has the Philips won't recognize a Progressive Scan/Component feed). I get very good results right up to the 4-hour mode. I'm using the 5-in-1 Component Monster flat screen cable. It's not 480p but it's the best 480i I can get beyond S-Video. No one has been able to find a compatible replacement PC drive for it yet, I doubt that it will ever be found, so I got myself a couple of spares for future use.

I also have the Philips DVDR 72/17 single drive recorder that has component-in.

The 720 HDRW will show up once in a while on ebay, make sure it has a working remote with it, the front buttons on the unit are limited, not enough to properly work this unit (editing).

CC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evening guys.

Well, the Polaroid 2100G unit can record from Component inputs. I've done if
    for a while when I use to do it, before my Hauppauge [s:fcbde30553]HVR-1600[/s:fcbde30553], and now, settled
    with my Pinnacle PCTV HD, a usb version -- to free up a pci slot -- for all my
    HD video content.

With the 2100G (as other units with this feature) you have to watch out for the
    color space levels. They are pretty rich (dark) for my taste, and they do present
    a problem with adjustments during post-processing. However, I can't blame the
    whole problem on the 2100G because the device I had connected to it was an
    external HD Receiver, and it could have been (partly) the blame to the color
    issues. It's not a big deal. It could have been just my error (and equipment)
    and not (potentially) yours. So, don't be put off by this. I was mearly just
    sharing my experience with you regarding this small matter, here.

But it'll do the job if you can't find anything else.

Good luck with whatever choice you go with.

-vhelp 4408
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the tips guys. I ended up ordering a couple of the polaroids and I'm hoping this will do the trick for me. I'm not really even close to what you would consider a videophile or audiophile and so I'm pretty sure the picture quality will make me happy on a recording. If not then perhaps I can at least get it set up as a pass through and output to something else (not optimum, but I'd be willing to do it). Anyway, I don't want to complain as you can probably tell that I've had plenty of help on this forum over the past several years without even having to post questions. Still, is there any way we can get a list of component in dvd recorders or even possibly get the input and output possibilities added to the searchables in the current dvd recorder list? Just a thought.

Thanks again,

Ryan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Componet inputs on DVD Recorder... I have 2 magnovox MRV 660 bought refurbished from heartlandAmerica.com i com for $60. each i can record most anything, I copy 480i from my Samsung HDTV tuner, i get a very beautiful picture. The recordings cost me .30 cents for 2 hours. If you cant share copies easily and for little money, then whats the point ?? I do pridict that in the future everytime we ever LISTEN to any music our bank account will automatically be deducted . I hope Im wrong..
    Quote Quote