VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I replaced an hp cd writer i9300 with an hp dvd writer 1040i. I moved the i9300 to another pc. When I tried doing an "hp simple backup" and select full system backup or custom backup the following error message is displayed: program error sbwin32.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. I get this message on both pc's.
    I found the problem with the i9300 getting this message on the pc it was moved to was the power cord was disconnected. After connecting the hp simple backup worked.
    On the system with the 1040i I tried loading the nero software supplied with the drive and I never get a menu. I tried the nero disk on the system with the i9300 and it works OK. Also the 1040i will read other disks and display a menu.
    I sent a problem report to HP a week ago and have not received a response. I also tried calling the hp support line and got a recording indicating no phone support for the 1040i. Anybody have any idea? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Uninstall Nero and the other backup software. Reboot and then install whichever software you are wanting to use. Most likely you are having multiple issues. First, the original software you are using, likely noticed the drive change. Some burning software (like Alcohol 120% for instance), allows you to rescan the system bus after installing/changing drives so that the software can identify all drives on the system. If the software doesn't allow you to rescan, then a uninstall/reinstall will usually solve the problem as a system scan is part of the installation.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reinstalled the i9300 in the original system. Still getting the sbwin.exe error message. Tried removing and reinstalling the simple backup software. This did not resolve the problem. The simple backup software comes on the "hp cd-writer plus" cd. There are 3 other programs on that disk. Installed all the programs on the disk. This resolved the problem.
    I am waiting on a replacement dvd writer. When it arrives I will try uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling the hp cd-writer plus software. I'll post an update.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know if you got your issue fixed, but just in case you didn't. I had the exact same problem and discovered that it was the IDE cable. I change it to a ATA 66 and no it works great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My first couple of CD burners were HP's. I seem to recall having issues with them if I didn't install the whole software suite (it's been quite awhile, so I don't remember all of the details). In my case, it was all or nothing. I chose not to install any of their apps and started using other apps in their place.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote