VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

After searching the web for hours I don't see another way than posting my question here.

I've ceated a video file (mp4 with h.264 and aac audio) with Megui. I added a subtitle to this video and the VLC plays the subs perfectly. However, when I play it with iTunes or Quicktime, the subs are not displayed.

Is there a way to burn the forced subtitles into the existing mp4 file I ceated with Megui?
    If not, how can I burn subtitles into the video (mp4, h.264, with acc audio) permanently?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    download mkvmerge GUI and input the mp4 video file and the srt files and then Start Muxing. It will gives you an MKV files in 10 minutes with the subtitle. Hope that help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you go down the mkv route then you can forget itunes/quicktime (not that they are great - or even good - media players). The only reason I can think of to use either is because you have an apple player of some type (ipod, touch, iphone), in which case you might want to look at Srt_iPhone
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, try srtiphone.

Or if you want burned in subtitles you can do that in megui, you adjust the avisynth file, see for example https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338487.html . If it's too complex you can try handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  5. hi

I got the same problem.

I convert my video files with 'Any Video Converter'. the videos work perfectly on my PSP, but when I use MKV Merge to add subs and make it one video file, my PSP says the file is damaged.

So my question is: is there a program just like MKV Merge that will allow you to merge video and subs in about 5 minutes.
    I want to be able to do it fast, not wait for 4 hours or so until the program is done converting. The AVC can convert and add subs in the newly converted file, but that goes wrong a lot of times, showing the wrong sentence at the wrong moment. (the SUBS and VIDS are synced perfectly using either 'Easy Subtitles Synchronizer' or 'Subtitle Processor'

BTW, i already tried xvid4PSP but it didnt work fast enough. I let it on the entire night( from 23:00 till 11:00) and it was still doing first pass encoding, whereas the AVC took me only 3 or 4 hours.
    Last edited by Ceesar; 19th Oct 2010 at 07:00. Reason: forgot a few facts
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does the PSP support any soft/switchable subtitles? If not then it's not just possible to do without reconverting.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think so because you can buy Movies like the matrix on UMD and its got to be like normal movie watching.

But is there to MP4Merge program or a similar one that doesnnt change the coding format of the video file when adding the subs?

These are the supported video formats for PSP( from manual site)

You can play files of the following types on the PSP™ system.
    Memory Stick™ Video Format
    - MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC)
    - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (CABAC) (AAC) and Baseline Profile (AAC)
    MP4
    - MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC)
    - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (CABAC) (AAC) and Baseline Profile (AAC)
    AVI
    - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
    - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
    Hints
    Depending on the data type, some data items cannot be played.
    The system cannot play video data containing video recorded for longer than approximately 6 hours and 30 minutes.
    Some files distributed over the Internet may have playback limitations. For details, contact the content provider.

EDIT:
    Yes it does support changable subs, just like the PS3 because you can change that while watching the movie. using the triangle button and then subtitle options
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi, I have Apple tv but it doesn't play mkv files, only mp4 (h264) with no problems, I use to mix mp4 and srt subtitle with Xvid4psp with succes using in format: Mp4 : X264 Q21 HQ Film but it takes about 55 minutes on my quad core Q8200 4gb ram.
    Is there another program that I can mix the video and subtitle faster without loosing video quality ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Prerequisites:

1. Download and extract the application ffmpeg.

2. Download the MP4 files and the corresponding .srt caption files.

Step 1: Preparing the MP4 and .srt files

1. For each pair of MP4 and corresponding .srt file, name the two files exactly the same while maintaining their file extensions. For example, for one video, you will have VIDEO1.mp4 and VIDEO1.srt (You might want to use clearer file names).

2. Place all the MP4-SRT pairs in the same folder as the ffmpeg.exe file that you previously extracted. These should be in the bin directory of the ffmpeg folder.

Step 2: Create the fonts.conf configuration file

1. You'll need to create a file named fonts.conf and place it in the bin directory alongside the ffmpeg.exe file.

2. Open fonts.conf and paste in the following XML (don't worry about the formatting):

<?xml version="1.0"?> <fontconfig>

<dir>C:\WINDOWS\Fonts</dir>

<match target="pattern"> <test qual="any" name="family"><string>mono</string></test> <edit name="family" mode="assign"><string>monospace</string></edit> </match>

<match target="pattern"> <test qual="all" name="family" compare="not_eq"><string>sans-serif</string></test> <test qual="all" name="family" compare="not_eq"><string>serif</string></test> <test qual="all" name="family" compare="not_eq"><string>monospace</string></test> <edit name="family" mode="append_last"><string>sans-serif</string></edit> </match>

<alias> <family>Times</family> <prefer><family>Times New Roman</family></prefer> <default><family>serif</family></default> </alias> <alias> <family>Helvetica</family> <prefer><family>Arial</family></prefer> <default><family>sans</family></default> </alias> <alias> <family>Courier</family> <prefer><family>Courier New</family></prefer> <default><family>monospace</family></default> </alias> <alias> <family>serif</family> <prefer><family>Times New Roman</family></prefer> </alias> <alias> <family>sans</family> <prefer><family>Arial</family></prefer> </alias> <alias> <family>monospace</family> <prefer><family>Andale Mono</family></prefer> </alias> <match target="pattern"> <test name="family" compare="eq"> <string>Courier New</string> </test> <edit name="family" mode="prepend"> <string>monospace</string> </edit> </match> <match target="pattern"> <test name="family" compare="eq"> <string>Courier</string> </test> <edit name="family" mode="prepend"> <string>monospace</string> </edit> </match>

</fontconfig>

3. Save fonts.conf.

Step 3: Create your OUTPUT folder

1. Create a folder named OUTPUT in the bin directory. This is where your resultant MP4 files will be placed once the subtitles have been burned onto them.

Step 4: Create the burn.bat script

1. Create a file named burn.bat and place it in the bin directory.

2. Paste the following for-loop into the file:

for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%~na.mp4" -vf subtitles="%%~na.srt" "OUTPUT\%%~na.mp4"
    pause

3. Save the file.

Step 5: (If your using a Windows OS) Set your environment variables

1. Create the following system environment variables:

FC_CONFIG_DIR = [to the bin directory where ffmpeg.exe resides]

FONTCONFIG_FILE = fonts.conf

FONTCONFIG_PATH = [to the bin directory where ffmpeg.exe resides]

2. Save these settings.

Step 6: Run burn.bat

1. Open a command prompt and cd to the bin directory where the burn.bat file resides. The following files and folders should also be in the bin directory:

OUTPUT folder

MP4-SRT file pairs

ffmpeg.exe

2. At the command prompt, run burn.bat. After all your MP4-SRT files are processed, you should have for each pair of files, (1) MP4 file of the same name in the OUTPUT directory. So for VIDEO1.mp4 and VIDEO1.srt in the bin directory, after burn.bat completes, in the OUTPUT directory you should see VIDEO1.mp4.

Step 7: Check the files in the OUTPUT directory

1. Play one of the MP4s in the OUTPUT directory. Verify that the subtitles have been burned in.

2. If everything looks good, you can share the MP4 on a video sharing site.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have followed jobechoi's advice and setup everything as instructed. Unfortunately, everytime I try and run the bat file, I am getting the following error:

C:\FFmpeg\bin>for %a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%~na.mp4" -vf subtitles="%~na.sr
    t" "OUTPUT\%~na.mp4"

C:\FFmpeg\bin>ffmpeg -i "video.mp4" -vf subtitles="video.srt" "OUTPUT\video.mp4"

ffmpeg version N-61444-gf3d3e3f Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
    built on Mar 13 2014 22:24:23 with gcc 4.8.2 (GCC)
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-av
    isynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enab
    le-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libcaca --enable-libfreetyp
    e --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --ena
    ble-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-l
    ibopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libsp
    eex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-aa
    cenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavp
    ack --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable
    -zlib
    libavutil 52. 66.101 / 52. 66.101
    libavcodec 55. 52.102 / 55. 52.102
    libavformat 55. 34.101 / 55. 34.101
    libavdevice 55. 11.100 / 55. 11.100
    libavfilter 4. 3.100 / 4. 3.100
    libswscale 2. 5.101 / 2. 5.101
    libswresample 0. 18.100 / 0. 18.100
    libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'video.mp4':
    Metadata:
    major_brand : isom
    minor_version : 1
    compatible_brands: isomavc1
    creation_time : 2013-11-15 17:30:09
    Duration: 01:01:37.13, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2334 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1920x1080
    [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 2206 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 24k tbn, 47.95 tbc (defaul
    t)
    Metadata:
    creation_time : 2013-11-15 17:30:09
    Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 12
    4 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
    creation_time : 2013-11-14 00:27:20
    [Parsed_subtitles_0 @ 00000000003f8000] Unable to open video.srt
    [AVFilterGraph @ 000000000031a200] Error initializing filter 'subtitles' with ar
    gs 'video.srt'
    Error opening filters!

It's almost as if it's having some kind of problem reading the srt file. I have searched the web to no avail. I can find examples of the error. However, all of those posts are either way more complicated than this simple for-loop or way over my head. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here and/or how to fix it...? Thank you in advance...

Chris
    Last edited by attrition4u; 14th Mar 2014 at 13:40. Reason: More information...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Nobody have any ideas? It's driving me batty...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  12. After extensive searching, I think I have discovered the source of the error. The subtitle file must contain either a line 0 or 1. So, if you add the following to your srt file,

00:00:01,000 --> 00:00:01,000

It will pass it off to FFmpeg for encoding without an error. Whether or not the corresponding file is okay, I have yet to gather. Still encoding. I will report back.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi,

I'm getting the following error when trying to run the burn.bat file:

Code:
    [Parsed_subtitles_0 @ 00000000002fa3c0] Error decoding: Invalid data found when
    processing input (ignored)
    [subrip @ 0000000006672da0] Invalid UTF-8 in decoded subtitles text; maybe missi
    ng -sub_charenc option
    [AVFilterGraph @ 0000000000302340] Error initializing filter 'subtitles' with ar
    gs '12.Years.a.Slave.2013.srt'
    Error opening filters!

C:\Users\x\Downloads\ffmpeg-20140319-git-ce9d3da-win64-static\bin>pau
    se
    Press any key to continue . . .
    Any ideas on what I am doing wrong
    Last edited by tiosega; 19th Mar 2014 at 20:19.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Seems like your subtitle file is not saved in UTF-8. Open the file in Notepad and select all files...save it with the same name and extension but make sure you select UTF-8. Then make sure you see the post above and that there is a 1 or 0 line in the subtitle file. Try again...
    Quote Quote  
  15. The resulting subtitle font size is rather small. Any way to change the font size and make it bigger? Also to change the font itself?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by sakiski View Post
    The resulting subtitle font size is rather small. Any way to change the font size and make it bigger? Also to change the font itself?
    SRT subs are plain text only , no formatting - no control over colors, fonts, sizes, effects, styles. Unless the other application has special display options, they will be displayed plainly.

You can convert them to ASS subs for more control. Aegisub is a good sub editor for ASS subs, and all those parameters are part of the subs themselves (don't have to rely on the other program)
    Quote Quote  
  17. I am trying to burn in idx/sub subtitle files into mp4. Can ffmpeg, handbrake, mencoder or any other programs do this?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by sakiski View Post
    I am trying to burn in idx/sub subtitle files into mp4. Can ffmpeg, handbrake, mencoder or any other programs do this?
    Any other programs? Yes. Handbrake accepts VobSub input. As does XviD4PSP. I'd recommend using the older version 5 rather than the newer ones. As does any program that accepts AviSynth input (with the Vobsubs in the script), which is many encoders (but not Handbrake).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	65519
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	26755

File directory: D:\ffmpeg-20140806-git-305f72a-win64-static\bin

Movie is YIFY MP4 file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Legion2099 View Post

File directory: D:\ffmpeg-20140806-git-305f72a-win64-static\bin

Movie is YIFY MP4 file.
    Wild guess: you somehow created a UTF-8 file which adds the first three bytes to the command-line, and the result is garbage.

BTW --- "YIFY" is a subject that not only violates the forum rules, but also suxxx terribly
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Wild guess: you somehow created a UTF-8 file which adds the first three bytes to the command-line, and the result is garbage.

BTW --- "YIFY" is a subject that not only violates the forum rules, but also suxxx terribly
    I changed from UTF-8 to ANSI and its working. Thanks.
    Quote Quote