VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    **Note - this is a long post. Mostly to be informational, however, there is a minor issue listed at the bottom.

I recently decided to begin using removable hard drive trays as a way of backing up and sharing data between my two computers. I already have the pc's on a LAN, but moving/sharing large amounts of data is a pain and it's slow.

While both pc's are using SATA drives as the primary drives, the second pc only has two SATA ports (both already being used). So I chose to go with removable IDE drives to minimize setup cost and also as a way of using the extra IDE drives sitting in the closet. I chose the Icy Dock MB123AK-B http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817186004 because of it's low price and decent reviews.

The unit was installed on the secondary connectory of the Primary IDE controller. All you have to do is set the M/S/CS jumper on the HDD (in this case the HDD is set as SLAVE), install the drive into the removable tray, and then insert the tray.

The units worked as advertised with only a minor annoying issue (more on this later), well two annoying issues. The first issue being someone decided the trays should have keys and that the tray HAS to be locked before it can be used. Which is a real pain in the azz when the pc is sitting under a desk in the dark and you have to unlock the tray to remove and then lock it again to use it. But they all seem to be this way, so I'll deal with it.

I set up and used with issue three HDD's, an 80G, 120G, and a 160G, without any problems. I then bought a 500G WD drive http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136110 and then the trouble began. On bootup, the BIOS was recognizing the drive and bootup would continue to the XP loading screen. It would stay on the loading screen approx. 3 minutes (much longer then usual) and the pc would then lock up. A hard reset or power off would be required. Removing the tray would allow the pc to boot normally, so nothing else was wrong inside the case. I then pulled the HDD from the tray and installed it into my other pc where it was immediately found on bootup. I then initialized, quick formatted the drive, and placed it back into the removable tray. Back into the original pc, and it locks on bootup (even when trying to get into Safe Mode). At this point I'd had enough and called it a day.

Before removing the rack and tray to connect the HDD directly to the cable, I decided to try changing the cable arrangement. I swapped the two devices on the IDE cable, set the Pioneer 112D as the SLAVE and changed the HDD to MASTER. I then crossed my fingers for luck and powered on. The pc quickly booted into Windows and the drive was recognized and can be used. So I don't know if this is a WD issue (some of their older drives have had similar issues and don't like to be the SLAVE) or a Windows issue with large HDD's. I think it is a WD issue. But the bottom line is that it works.

The second annoying problem (which appears to be XP related) occurs when changing drive trays. For example, Tray A is in the pc and operational. I power off, remove Tray A and insert Tray B. After XP boots, I will get the "new hardware found" pop-up (actually two, the first is a generic new HDD found, the second will show the drive model), soon after the 2nd pop-up XP locks up and a hard reset is required. After XP boots the 2nd time, everything is fine. This occurs everytime I change drives. Any ideas?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  2. I used to deal with removable trays all the time.
    The locking part is easy to fix, but it requires you to remove the tray from the computer.

Is the Key lock located under the silver lever? The pics on neweggs site don't show the key lock like this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=17-994-054-02.jpg%2c17-994-054-03.j...num+Drive+Case

If you look at the locking mechanism, it will most likely be a pin or a hook style latch. If it's the pin style, just turn to the locked position and unscrew the pin. They usually have a slot in the top to use a small standard screwdriver. If not use a pair of neddlenose pliers. If it's the latch style just unscrew the nut the hold the latch in place.

Just remimber its an electrical switch that kills the power when its not in the locked position. So that means you can always use a jumper wire on it.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had thought of looking at the lock part. I just haven't had time lately. I was happy enough to just get the new drive working. Thanks for the input, I'll experiment on the spare rack.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    also, superclean your connectors, that's been my only issue with trays; it can lead you on a real wild goose chase...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These are all new and the problems are the same with any of the 4 trays that I currently use.

The only problem at the moment is the XP lockup issue when swapping drives.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just an update for anyone else that may experience a similar issue.

I rebuilt the pc in question and after a fresh installation of XP on the new hardware the lockup issues no longer occur. This would seem to be the result A) replacing the motherboard (replaced the problematic ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nForce 2 socket A chipset with a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce 4 socket 939 chipset) or B) a fresh install of XP.

I tend to believe the fresh install of XP solved the issue, however, I was a few other funny IDE related issues on the old MB. Either way, now that I know XP can function correctly with removable drives, I would definetly recommend a fresh install of XP to anyone having similar issues.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote