VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I want to convert a DVD to .avi or something similar. The DVD contains Video_TS and Audio_TS. The weird thing is, that the Audio_TS folder is empty but the sound works when I watch it. Thus, I assume, the sound is somewhere inside the Video_TS folder. For example, I watched the DVD with VLC, and left the Audio_TS folder out (I didn't drag it into the playlist), and it worked fine. Now, as I mentioned, I want to convert the whole DVD, so, also the sound. I tried it a few times, the picture always works fine, but I just never have any sound. I tried a few things, for example I added the Video_TS as audio... I am just not really familiar with converting and stuff, thus I hoped someone from here might be able to help me? I would really appreciate help! Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by VideoHelp.com Glossary
    AUDIO_TS

UDF file name used for the DVD-Audio directory on a DVD disc volume. DVD-Audio is a separate format from DVD-Video so on a standard DVD-Video is the AUDIO_TS folder empty.
    Best bet for dvd to avi conversion is to use autogk.
    What was the software you were using that didn't give you the audio?
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was using ffmpegX, I tried avi and mpeg with different encoders (or components).

Thank you for the link to this application, I will try it with this one, hopefully it will work.

Edit:
    Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that I am a Mac OS X user, and apparently the application only works for windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh. Then I'm not going to be much help to you because I don't know anything about macs.

I noticed you posted in the newbie/general discussions forum. You might get better luck in the mac forum.

https://forum.videohelp.com/mac-f9.html

Mabe a mod will move this thread for you.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What often confuses newbies is that the audio_ts folder does not contain the audio track of your movie. So, it should normally be empty. The audio track is muxed with the video track (.vob files) inside the video_ts folder.

On macs, *by far* the easiest way to convert DVDs into divx avi is to use D-vision3. Not only is it totally free, but its user interface is particularly friendly for pros and newbies alike. I highly recommend giving that a try. Unlike many other tools that do similar tasks, you have to work hard to screw up a conversion with D-Vision3.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for your help! I managed to convert the DVD properly now!
    Quote Quote