VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I replaced my directv receiver box. Now, when I record to dvd from my new box I have no closed captioning on playback. I had cc when I played back a dvd recording made from my old receiver. Can anyone explain this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, your new DirecTV receiver doesn't appear to be CC capable. Or, more likely, it doesn't write the CC data to the DVD. Since CC is a requirement for US broadcast equipment, do the CCs display when watching live TV? You might want to carefully word a letter of disappointment and send it to DirecTV.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi:
    Don't know a thing about DirecTV. But the DVD must be
    interlaced; top field first. CC uses line 21 of the top field to store the CC info.
    So if that receiver should deinterlace and/or reverse the fields you won't get CC.
    Also if it crops the image, no CC. If you can drag one of the VOB's into Gspot,
    that will show if it is interlaced and TFF. Good luck.
    hunter99
    The Second Amendment:
    AMERICA'S ORIGINAL
    HOMELAND SECURITY
    Quote Quote  
  4. Be sure you're not using progressive scan, if your box has it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Also, try setting the resolution on the DirecTV box to something other than "Native", and/or test with a 720p or lesser video stream.

I have confirmed that when using this setting, with a 1080i broadcast, the S-Video-out stream no longer contains Closed Captions. They do in all cases come thru the HDMI for TV display.

Don't know how this will affect the firewire capture, but it might be a factor.
    Quote Quote