VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if anyone can help, I'm getting rather confused trying to sort this out

I have an AVI file (mpeg4 codec) that has no date/time stream. I want to display a date/time (of my choosing) when viewing the file.

is there any way to create a date/time avi stream? I don't have a DV camera to create a file to steal it's stream unfortunately.

an alternative would be to merge/overlay two AVI files (the second being a black screen with date/time displayed on it in white text-captured from my ancient anologue camera) it looks possible but the script instructions were a little cryptic-

could anyone show me an example script?

thanks

ken
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry to sound daft.....i'm very new to using scripts........

could you show me an example script? I'm not sure how to decide how to fill in all of the variables (eg font, angle, colour etc) which ones are numbers, and which are words?

what do you think about the overlay idea?

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Write the following text in a Notepad window:

BlankClip(fps=25, length=1500, width=640, height=480)
    KillAudio
    ShowSMPTE(offset="00:00:15:00", x=520, y=448, font="Lucida Console", \
    size=20, text_color=$ffff00)
    , save as "BlankClipSMTP-test.avs", open this latter in VirtualDub, play it.

Change the parameters in Notepad, re-save, press F2 in VirtualDub, re-play.
    Repeat the process until you're happy with the results.

Good-luck (and much patience as well).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

P.S.: Remember to have Avisynth installed on your computer,
    first of all!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks-I'll have a try when I get back home, just a few Q's...

where does the script generate the date and time from?

what does $ffff00 mean for "colour" and do you know the codes for other colours?

Do you think the overlay thing is possible as that would give the result i'm looking for (ie the date and time in the same position/clour as the other vids) I just need to know how to set the black background to transparent and the white numbers to opaque and then overlay this over the original image?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah yes, I need the date too............that wouldn't come with the SMTP timecode would it?

more complicated than I thought!

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    where does the script generate the date and time from?
    While the clip is running:

(frame_index_# + 1) ÷ (framerate) = elapsed_time

what does $ffff00 mean for "colour" and do you know the codes for other colours?
    $RRedGGreenBBlue is equivalent to the hex triplet used in HTML (#000000 = black, #FFFFFF = white, #c0c0c0 = silver, etc.)

ah yes, I need the date too............that wouldn't come with the SMTP timecode would it?
    No --- you will have to use the resource "Subtitle" in Avisynth to display the date along your video.

Unfortunately I nearly have no experience at using overlays (I used Avisynth's Overlay
    only once, for creating an "infamous" scanline effect ). If I were you, or if you
    were me, whatever, I'd call the source .avi via Avisynth, add the commands ShowTime
    to display the timecode and Subtitle to display the date, and re-encode as a new .avi
    (with VirtualDub) or as a new .mpg (with HCenc or something). Anyway, you'd better take
    some time to read the Avisynth documentation and start practicing the art of encoding
    video. I myself still have much to learn, before November of 2006 I still was a complete n00b,
    but I am not ashamed to share the very little I have managed to learn so far.
    Ganbatte! ^_^

================
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To whom this may interest... 8)

generated with Avisynth's ShowSMPTE and VSFilter's TextSub.

monica_veloso-preview.m1v
    Quote Quote