VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I've been trying for several months to make HD 3X redlaser home movies to play on my Toshiba HD E1. (I use movie factory to author the mpeg2 file onto the 3X dvd)
    My source material is edited mpeg2 PAL .
    Believe it or not, the European / Australian HD player requires source input from NTSC mpeg2.
    I have tried many different applications to get the best quality convert from pal mpeg2 to ntsc mpeg2.
    All finish disappointingly with jerky poor quality for what is originally a very good hd mpeg2 file when viewed on a hd pc monitor.
    It sounds and appears that this svcd2dvd comes very close and uses scripts that I have been unsuccesful with .
    Can others tell me how/ if this application (or any other for that matter) is able to convert the pal mpeg2 file to ntsc mpeg2 file. (the video file already has the audio muxed in)

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi gearo - all lot of that means nothing to me... but, yes S2D will create a NTSC DVD from your PAL mpeg... Are you however trying to retain the high definition in the NTSC output?
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and thanks for your time.
    Yes, I am looking to retain the HD quality..
    I noticed today that when I use svcd2dvd and import the hd mpeg2 pal file, it accepts it, but when asked to convert to the ntsc, the files, albeit vob's that I don't know how to get back to mpeg2's, finish up at way low bitrate to equate to standard definition.
    Will this application or others that provide quality results enable me to achieve what I'm looking to do?
    thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the purpose of SVCD2DVD is to create DVDs - and hence standard definition output. It would not take much effort to add an option to retain the HD. However, before i spend effort on this - did the _S2D.mpg files you ended up with satisfy in terms of smoothness?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Your results from the hd pal file to the converted sd vob ntsc files are excellent.
    The smoothness result is better than I have seen when compared with cce, procoder and tmpgenc. These 3 all give quite jumpy results, procoder is the smoothest but less clarity. (Obviously, the low bitrate with your existing product provides much less quality than the original hd source)

Even the clarity, crispness is not far off from the frameserved tmpg sd results off the hd timeline, which I've spent many many hours getting as high as sd quality from this hd timeline.
    So, WELL DONE with your scripting and the ease that people such as myself can use such technology !
    If you are kind enough, (I am also willing to purchase same all going well as I'm sure many are..), to spend time in setting up my needs here my outlined needs are along thus..
    HD pal mpg files are typically 1440 * 1080 with upper field first. (sd's are lower first if that matters)
    The maximum bitrate used varies around 20000~30000 kbps
    Audio is typically 48000khz.
    The audio is already muxed with the video to create the final complliant mpeg2 files.
    This way, other hd dvd authoring softwares such as movie factory does not re-encode and result in further loss of quality.
    Thank you once again, an look forward to hearing from you !
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok - i will rustle something up. Is it possible for you to put a sample somewhere for me to work with? There is a tool in the SVCD2DVD\Tools folder to create a sample from one of your files...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi Chris,
    I've sent the small 1mb hd pal file to your e address from the svcd2dvd site.
    thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got it - but it was NTSC already
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Chris,

I know this thread is old, but I didn't want to duplicate threads just to lend support to adding this feature. I would definitely be interested in retaining the HD as well. I actually never burn DVDs from the SVCD2DVD output - just stream the mpg straight from my file server to the computer, so if you do add this, it would be great if SVCD2DVD could output a .mkv file of the HD content. Thanks much!
    Quote Quote