VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys

What it is. My laptop keeps crashing when I encode video. I edit the clips, create the menu's etc..then start the process of encoding/burning to disc. I reach around 10% completion, then my laptop crashes

I'm using TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with a 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM. The drive the output folder is situated has 20.9GB free space.

Also, regarding heat. The vents around my computer aren't blowing out hot air (slightly warm if that), although underneath in the central area (below the touchpad/keyboard) it's pretty warm..I wouldn't say hot, though.

Could it be memory..whether it be hardware related or other?

Guys, please help me out. Some advice on some tests or something I could carry out would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

Edit: Also, I've noticed there always seems to be a lot of disk activity on my external HD. It always seems to be ticking over..whether it be, I'm browsing the net/using windows explorer, etc. Is this something to do with a lack of page file space on my internal drive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, just tried encoding again...crashed again after 5% completion. This time whilst encoding, I opened up task manager and done a bit of monitoring.

When the menus where being created this is what it read...

263.928k memory usage (Wow, that's a lot of memory, Photoshop CS3 on a heavy load doesn't come anywhere near that.)

70-100% cpu usage

900MB Page File Usage

When it had finished the menu's and started analyzing the video, everything stayed the same, apart from the cpu usage which shot up to a constant 100%

Altogether I had 62 processes running and 1 application (TMPGEnc)

Anyways, after noticing the base of my laptop getting hotter just before this crash, I decided to open up the back. It wasen't a very pretty sight, lol! I found a 5mm thick wall of dust behind the 2 vents situated near the fan So, cleaned all that out and now I'm going to try encoding again...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My laptop use to crash exclusively during encoding phase, particularly when ambient room temperature reaches over 90deg F in the summer time. I looked into gizmos that dissipate heat by having a fan tray underneath like this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_pc/103-6950956-6270256?initialSearch=1&url=search-al...&Go.y=11&Go=Go

But wasn’t sure it was going to the job, especially when a CPU reaches near 100% during analyzing and encoding phase of DVD Shrink. Therefore, I built myself a home made cooling platform with a cheap $10 portable fan from Wally’s World by blowing under the laptop. Occasionally, it still crashed, so I did one better by having a fan directly underneath this stacking shelf, normally it’s used for keeping the dishes separated in the kitchen cabinet. I don’t have too many crashing problems now, even on hot days. []

TS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Overheat does sound like a good possibility. You could try a different encoder for a test and see if you get the same results, though, if blowing the dust out doesn't work. The memory usage and the rest of that info sounds about right.

There are a few aftermarket temperature reading programs out there that might give you some information, such as Motherboard Monitor or Speedfan. You can find some with a Google search for ' pc temperature monitoring programs '.

Probably one of the better memory tests is Memtest86, if you still need that. http://www.memtest86.com/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

Cleaning the vents out worked. The touchpad/keyboard aren't heating up now and underneath is just slightly warm.

I encountered another problem, though. This time I reached 49% completion (without any overheating) and I received a 'stream reading error' (error code 0x80068001). Aggghh, computers..nothing is ever straight forward, lol!

Well, I best go try and find out some info about this darn error....
    Quote Quote  
  6. laptops are not meant for heavy processing...period.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My desktop used to crash at around 10% encoding in Premiere Pro 2. I Opened up the side panel and have a vortex fan blowing into it whenever i encode for long times. It worked. Never crashed ever since.
    Quote Quote