VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Are you using a network media streaming device?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So are you using a streaming media device at all? A modded xbox perhaps? Slingbox? Tivo with the mpeg streaming? A linksys or dlink media hub? A hauppauge device?

I am not using any currently. I do have a tivo which can stream dvd level mpeg files off of a computer. You can also buy amazon unbox videos on it. But I find it easier and more convenient to simply burn a dvd if I want to go that way. Now if I had a wifi N router and tivo made a wifi n adapter for the series 2 than it might be more practical.

I also don't really need to look into a network music player either, though it would be nice. I do have a 30gb dell mp3 player so most of my digital music is already on the player itself. I can just plug it into any speaker set I want and I have my music ready to go.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recently got me a D-Link DSM-G600 (as NAS) and it also doubles as uPnP server. Unfortunately the only PC software working as uPnP client (lots seem to work as server!) I found was Yahoo! Media Jukebox (a.k.a. MusicMatch) - But I'm unable to get it working.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup. Got an XBOX with XBMC installed on it. I love it. I got it connected to the wireless network so I rip the DVDs to my computer hard drive and stream the movies over to the XBOX.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've had a Slimp3 connected to my stereo for five years (http://www.slimdevices.com - current version is Squeezebox) with Slimserver hosted on a basement computer. It has completely changed my listening habits. I use a capture card to timeshift FM radio, then add a mix of podcasts, and listen to Internet radio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a D-Link MediaLounge DSM-320 Wireless Media Player for a couple of years and it's OK with its built-in wireless G, but I'm looking forward to wireless N devices. Any good ones out yet?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    seriously, this is the only forum I've ever seen that doesn't allow multiple choices in a poll....

We have a Win2K "juke box" machine in the living room/party room.
    The HTPC and office PCs stream music off of it.

I also use an non-modded X-BOX to stream music off of it.
    Addionally, the PS3 streams music off of it.
    However, very few X-BOX games actually take advantage of the custom soundtracks option and at this point ZERO PS3 games can do this, so setting it up was really a waste of time.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  7. No - Other.
    Actually, just No. Not streaming anything. Not looking to. But it's not because I prefer physical media to streaming. I just haven't had enough interest to look into it.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am actually considering two options. Since I got my 32" westinghouse hdtv this past weekend I'm looking to either buy a xbox 360 or setup my vista pc next to the tv as a htpc. Either way I'd be able to watch digital video on the tv without physical media. My vista pc is vista premium so I do have media center on it with which I can transfer to the 360.

I think in the end I might just get a 360 because I don't truly see myself using a computer with a tv.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a couple of FYI's for you. The Pinnacle ShowCenter 1000 is considered at "end of life" and will not support Vista. The newer model the ShowCenter 200 has a new firmware release that will allow streaming from a Vista based host PC using Windows Media Player 11.

I have a ShowCenter 1000 that I've had for about three years. I run it via ethernet because wireless just isn't fast enough for smooth video. It runs fine and I haven't had any problems with it. The only minor problem is that the remote control is a little weak.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've been using networked (10/100/1000 TX ethernet) Windows based computers for audio and video streaming (or playing off the local drive) to televisions for many years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been looking at the Pinnacle ShowCenter 200:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Digital+Media+Adap...ShowCenter+200

I haven't purchased a device such as the Pinnacle yet, because I already own a laptop (XP) that connects to my LCD TV via the VGA port. A simpler solution should be to create a home network to my other PCs in my home (Vista + OS X), but this is easier said than done when dealing with multiple OS systems and both software and hardware firewalls. I can use iTunes to stream music, but video has to be in h264, not VIDEO_TS folders. I can't get Windows Media Player 11 to read any VIDEO_TS folders that have region code zero. There should be other network media software out there that would do the job. I know VLC can do some media serving over a network.

It does seem to me that a dedicated device such as the Pinnacle would simplify matters?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I use a modded XBOX running XBMC and absolutely love it. For standard definition material, nothing comes close. But if your heart is set on HD content, the XBOX just won't cut it. If you are interested in these kinds of devices you can try taking a peek at the discussions in the Digital Media Servers & Content Streamers forum at avsforum.com. Devices by Tvix and Tomarco seem to be getting most of the attention there lately.

Julie
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by p_l
    I've had a D-Link MediaLounge DSM-320 Wireless Media Player for a couple of years and it's OK
    I have two of these, and I cannot believe that fast-forwarding of video does not work. Either not at all, or after fast-forwarding when you hit play it restarts at the beginning. Does it work for you? What version of the software are you using? (I am using 1.08)

I had gone to D-Link after giving up on Hauppauge MediaMVP which had no support for ff/rw of audio files. No one would buy an MP3 player where you could not ff/rw, and I can't imagine not having this feature in your media streamer either.

lcc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what a network media streaming device is!
    Quote Quote  
  15. AppleTV for me
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by yoda313
    I am actually considering two options. Since I got my 32" westinghouse hdtv this past weekend I'm looking to either buy a xbox 360 or setup my vista pc next to the tv as a htpc. Either way I'd be able to watch digital video on the tv without physical media. My vista pc is vista premium so I do have media center on it with which I can transfer to the 360.

I think in the end I might just get a 360 because I don't truly see myself using a computer with a tv.
    Well fwiw I do have a PC running MCE2005 hooked up to a 32" Westinghouse. I'm hooked up to the TV sets VGA port and a audio cable for sound.

The MCE remote controls audio level. If I use the media player it controls playback.

I can play videos fullscreen and they look pretty good. However I still find myself using VLC and PowerDVD and control everything with the Wireless KB & Mouse.

Push a button on the remote when a commercial comes on and compute away. Press another and back to TV.

I find that the MCE2005 media center software works fine. It changes the channel on my Dishntwork box and records via a Haupaggue USB just fine.

YMMV however.
    Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    7 Hauppauge MediaMVP connected to SageTV Server/Recorder HTPC, with SageTV WebServer & VLC.
    Best Regards,

Tipstir
    MediaMVP Supporter
    Quote Quote