VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,
    I just bought an hong kong movie "Flash Point", insert it to my SONY DVP-NS55P and it says "CANNOT PLAY". the movie is an DVD9 media, so I used Nero Recode to recode the entire DVD to DVD5 format and burn it on an DVD+R media from TDK but the SONY player still give me the same error "CANNOT PLAY" after I success recode the movie to DVD5.
    I did tried to recode using DVDFab but same error.

    Can anyone help me so that I can burn it and watch it on my SONY DVD Player?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Transylvania
    Search Comp PM
    If its a pal disc sony won't play it. Even if it is region free. It will only play ntsc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    On the back of the cover saying DVD-9 and NTSC. I had some Pal before and use Nero Recode to do it and I can watch it on the Sony DVD Player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try with a DVD-R?
    Does it work fine in your PC?
    And the obvious, is your player region free?

    Besides that, I can't think of anything else. I don't know about HK but Japan uses R2 NTSC. From what I've seen, a lot of Hong Kong movies are region free so it just shouldn't be a problem.

    Hope this help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I used an DVD+R to burn to, it played on my pc just not the Sony DVD home player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Transylvania
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Unikfreak
    Did you try with a DVD-R?
    Does it work fine in your PC?
    And the obvious, is your player region free?

    Besides that, I can't think of anything else. I don't know about HK but Japan uses R2 NTSC. From what I've seen, a lot of Hong Kong movies are region free so it just shouldn't be a problem.

    Hope this help.
    Even if it's region free, if it's in pal format it will not play. You have to convert it to ntsc to play.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cracula

    Even if it's region free, if it's in pal format it will not play. You have to convert it to ntsc to play.
    That may or may not be true. Some Sony players in the past certainly could play PAL video and convert it on the fly to NTSC. Whether this particular model can or can't I don't know, but you might want to offer hard evidence (ie. you own the player and tested it and know it doesn't work, the DVD Players list on the left says it won't play PAL discs, etc.) to support your claim. I tend not to believe people who just say stuff like this because for all we know, you have never owned a Sony player and are only repeating what you think. I remember one time on another forum I got into a private discussion with a guy who insisted that a certain model Apex DVD player would play a format that it totally did not support. I asked him what version of the firmware he had, whether he had upgraded it, where he got newer firmware from, what discs he used and so on and he told me "Uh, I don't actually have the player, I just read that it plays that format". So unless you can back up your claims with evidence, you may or may not be right.

    techworld - What you need to do is determine if the disc is bad or not. Try to play it in a PC. Will it play at all? If yes, then the problem is with your player. You'll need to determine if the disc is PAL or NTSC. You can use IFOEdit to open the VOB files it will tell you which you have. If you really have a PAL disc, then cracula may be right. However, I'm betting if it's from Hong Kong it's most likely NTSC. If your PC won't play it, give it to a friend or two and have them try to play it in their PCs and DVD players. If nobody you know can play it, the disc is probably bad.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Deleted, jman98 said it better
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Transylvania
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Originally Posted by cracula

    Even if it's region free, if it's in pal format it will not play. You have to convert it to ntsc to play.
    That may or may not be true. Some Sony players in the past certainly could play PAL video and convert it on the fly to NTSC. Whether this particular model can or can't I don't know, but you might want to offer hard evidence (ie. you own the player and tested it and know it doesn't work, the DVD Players list on the left says it won't play PAL discs, etc.) to support your claim. I tend not to believe people who just say stuff like this because for all we know, you have never owned a Sony player and are only repeating what you think. I remember one time on another forum I got into a private discussion with a guy who insisted that a certain model Apex DVD player would play a format that it totally did not support. I asked him what version of the firmware he had, whether he had upgraded it, where he got newer firmware from, what discs he used and so on and he told me "Uh, I don't actually have the player, I just read that it plays that format". So unless you can back up your claims with evidence, you may or may not be right.
    What you believe doesn't matter to me. Most new sony players do not support pal even with a hack. I have had 4 and none worked for me. There may be a few models that are hackable, but most of the new ones are not. I speak from experience, not guessing. Look at sony dvd player hacks and get your answer here. People crack me up tryin to talk like they have authority. And most apex players play anything.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    On the cover of the movie say its an NTSC type, but according to IHoe in this forum:

    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/570564#3451641

    so the movie is an PAL type. I can play the movie on my pc with no problem. I did used anydvd to rip it with region 1 United States and burn it with Nero Recode on an DVD+R disc with the booktype of DVD-ROM output but still the same error "CANNOT PLAY".
    I tried the DVD Decrypter method found on this link and it doesn't work.

    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/backup%20with%20Decrypter&Shrink.pdf

    Thank you all for your help
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Transylvania
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techworld
    Hello,
    On the cover of the movie say its an NTSC type, but according to IHoe in this forum:

    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/570564#3451641

    so the movie is an PAL type. I can play the movie on my pc with no problem. I did used anydvd to rip it with region 1 United States and burn it with Nero Recode on an DVD+R disc with the booktype of DVD-ROM output but still the same error "CANNOT PLAY".
    I tried the DVD Decrypter method found on this link and it doesn't work.

    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/backup%20with%20Decrypter&Shrink.pdf

    Thank you all for your help
    Just like i thought. You need to completely redo the movie. Change the framerate and aspect to ntsc specs. Just making it region free wont work. I had two movies that made me get rid of my sony player for that exact reason.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    /sigh
    i used ImTOO DVD Ripper to rip the movie to .avi with sub and then .avi to dvd, burn it using nero. finally i can watch it on SONY. but the quality does not as great as the original.
    thanks all for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member Krispy Kritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    St Louis, MO USA
    Search Comp PM
    There are better ways of performing the conversion and there are guides available here. The quality loss is a result of the conversion to avi and then back to mpeg2.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    I stand corrected cracula, but it was it really so hard to say how you knew that Sony players didn't now support PAL discs? Was it really necessary for me to call you out before you would say that you had personal experience and weren't just parroting what you read elsewhere?

    techworld - If you think you will have a need in the future to watch PAL DVDs, I strongly suggest investing in a DVD player that you know can convert PAL to NTSC. Oppo makes a highly regarded series of players that can do so. There are cheaper options too.

    Another great reason not to buy Sony any more. Their older DVD players had no problems to convert PAL to NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Transylvania
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    I stand corrected cracula, but it was it really so hard to say how you knew that Sony players didn't now support PAL discs? Was it really necessary for me to call you out before you would say that you had personal experience and weren't just parroting what you read elsewhere?

    techworld - If you think you will have a need in the future to watch PAL DVDs, I strongly suggest investing in a DVD player that you know can convert PAL to NTSC. Oppo makes a highly regarded series of players that can do so. There are cheaper options too.

    Another great reason not to buy Sony any more. Their older DVD players had no problems to convert PAL to NTSC.
    I have a lot of respect for you(jman98) stepping up to the plate. Most people wouldn't even attempt t say that maybe they were slightly wrong. That says a lot about your character. I will now look at your posts as speaking from the heart rather than the bullshit some speak from. As for my initial response i didn't say i knew it from personal experience because i didn't deem it necessary. So maybe part of the fault lies with me. And i agree that techworld should buy a cheap everything player rather than have to re-encode everything. No matter what you will still lose some quality. If you do decide to re-encode use one of the guides on this site. They have the best guides out there so you can't go wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    United States of America
    Search PM
    From the DVP-NS55P user manual.

    (Unable to play)

    A DVD Video with a different region code
    A disc recorded in a colore system other than NTSC, such as PAL or SECAM (this player conforms to the NTSC color system)

    Most likely if it doesn't have a region code on the back it's limited to the region from the country sold.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads