VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a DVD Player and could it play Divx or XviD? The name and model or serial is below?

Apex AD-1600
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by php111
    Hi,

I have a DVD Player and could it play Divx or XviD? The name and model or serial is below?

Apex AD-1600
    The APEX dvd players are not divx or xvid capable. I have a APEX 1500 and have tried playing back a dvd disc that had divx files on it and all I got was disc error.

If you want a dvd player that's divx capable then it's time to upgrade to a new dvd player that has that feature. Take a look at the philips dvd players if you want a cheap one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Hi,

Apex AD-1600
    The APEX dvd players are not divx or xvid capable. I have a APEX 1500 and have tried playing back a dvd disc that had divx files on it and all I got was disc error.

If you want a dvd player that's divx capable then it's time to upgrade to a new dvd player that has that feature. Take a look at the philips dvd players if you want a cheap one.
    budz,

Does your Apex play SVCD on a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic337888.html#1758799

https://www.videohelp.com/svcd#struct

Absolutely, crystal-, -clear?

Or when you say "SVCD" you mean a standalone ###x480/576 MPEG-2 file?

++++++++++++++++++++
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The Apex-1500 plays SVCDs fine. But it's been out of production for quite a long time. To play a Divx/Xvid file, you need a Divx DVD player. And the file needs to be Divx set top compliant. Most Divx/Xvids off the net are.

If you look to the left for DVD Players, you can use Divx/Xvid playback as a search option. The cost of Divx compatible players is reasonable at present. If you want one of the best, look to the OPPO brand. Not cheap, but very good quality.

ASIDE: budz, you still have a working Apex-1500? That was a great DVD player. Too bad they didn't last too long. I loved mine. Would play about any DVD disc. And inexpensive for it's time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    The Apex-1500 plays SVCDs fine. But it's been out of production for quite a long time. To play a Divx/Xvid file, you need a Divx DVD player. And the file needs to be Divx set top compliant. Most Divx/Xvids off the net are.

If you look to the left for DVD Players, you can use Divx/Xvid playback as a search option. The cost of Divx compatible players is reasonable at present. If you want one of the best, look to the OPPO brand. Not cheap, but very good quality.

ASIDE: budz, you still have a working Apex-1500? That was a great DVD player. Too bad they didn't last too long. I loved mine. Would play about any DVD disc. And inexpensive for it's time.
    OK thank you. The next step after encoding the SVCD is trying to get it on a DVD to play.. Real fun. Who wants to help?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    SVCD is a CD format. Not really compatible with a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by php111
    The next step after encoding the SVCD is trying to get it on a DVD to play.. Real fun.
    That player can probably play MPG files on ISO or UDF data DVDs. I'd try that first since it's simple.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For those who don't know, Apex essentially vanished from the marketplace a few years ago when the CEO was jailed on a visit to China over tax issues. He apparently didn't pay the right people nor did anyone in his company ever attempt to pay the right people to get him out of jail. Apex ground to a halt and although they still have a website and in theory (the last time I looked) the website claimed that it was possible to mail order directly from them, they only had 1 model left. No stores that I know of carry Apex products any more. As far as I know the CEO of Apex is still in jail in China and nobody has ever made any attempt to satisfy the demands of the authorities to get him out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had heard he owed the equivalent of $750 Million. Built the business entirely on credit with his "uncle". These guys never figure they are doing anything wrong and then go back home for a visit and get nabbed. Seems to happen a lot in that part of the world.....
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The next step after encoding the SVCD is trying to get it on a DVD to play.. Real fun.
    That player can probably play MPG files on ISO or UDF data DVDs. I'd try that first since it's simple.
    How do i burn a ISO or UDF using Nero Burning ROM?
    Quote Quote  
  12. From the New Compilation wizard select CD-ROM (ISO), CD-ROM (UDF), DVD-ROM (ISO), or DVD-ROM (UDF), then drag your MPG file to the compilation window and burn. Don't use Multisession.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Yup, I have one APEX 1500 left that still works great. I think it works well because I hardly use it as the unit is known for heating up while in use. I used it sparingly since I have many other dvd players to use. I sold my other APEX 1500 to a friend who needed a region free dvd player.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    From the New Compilation wizard select CD-ROM (ISO), CD-ROM (UDF), DVD-ROM (ISO), or DVD-ROM (UDF), then drag your MPG file to the compilation window and burn. Don't use Multisession.

Thank you so much jagabo, but instead of doing SVCD or VCD. I am doing Xvid. I might or i want to get a Phillips DVD Player with Divx playback. What is more known Divx or XviD? I have to see if i can afford the money for the player out of pocket. If i do get it, it will be in a store and not ordering it online. I don't have a bank account or credit and debit cards i don't have. I have a bad time racking up phone bills as it is. One year a phone bill was about $1300 or $1400 so no debit or credit for me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by php111
    instead of doing SVCD or VCD. I am doing Xvid. I might or i want to get a Phillips DVD Player with Divx playback. What is more known Divx or XviD?
    They are both MPEG 4 part 2 codecs. Most players that play Divx will also play Xvid. I think Xvid is slightly higher quality than Divx but Divx encodes faster.

There are some features of both codecs that some players cannot handle. To be safe: Don't use GMC (Global Motion Compensation) or QPEL (Quarter Pixel). Avoid Packed Bitstream with multiple consequtive B-frames. Stick with frame sizes at or below 720x480 at 29.97 fps, and 720x576 at 25 fps. Deinterlace interlaced sources.

<edit> just fixed the quote
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote=jagabo]
    Originally Posted by "php111instead of doing SVCD or VCD. I am doing Xvid. I might or i want to get a Phillips DVD Player with Divx playback. What is more known Divx or XviD?[/quote
    They are both MPEG 4 part 2 codecs. Most players that play Divx will also play Xvid. I think Xvid is slightly higher quality than Divx but Divx encodes faster.

There are some features of both codecs that some players cannot handle. To be safe: Don't use GMC (Global Motion Compensation) or QPEL (Quarter Pixel). Avoid Packed Bitstream with multiple consequtive B-frames. Stick with frame sizes at or below 720x480 at 29.97 fps, and 720x576 at 25 fps. Deinterlace interlaced sources.
    jagabo,

I know you didn't reply to my other thread but will you please answer my audio question in the DVD to AVI thread? I really hope you reply but you don't have too. Let me know if you want to help me or not because one of my encoding is almost done and i posted a question in that thread about audio.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't forget to use only "Constant Bitrate" for the audio. Using "Variable Bitrate" for the audio will save some space, but not a lot and can cause A/V sync problems especially if you have to transcode the video for any reason like to add a subtitle to it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KTH
    Don't forget to use only "Constant Bitrate" for the audio. Using "Variable Bitrate" for the audio will save some space, but not a lot and can cause A/V sync problems especially if you have to transcode the video for any reason like to add a subtitle to it.
    I don't know how to set audio for Constant Bitrate or Variable Bitrate but my question is as follows. Under stream then stream list. When i add my audio in, and right click and select no compression. In that same windows do i click "save wav" Or do i click OK then go to file and save as?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Before clicking "save .WAV", you MUST choose an audio codec
    with which VirtualDub will compress the audio stream. Select
    "LAME MP3" + 48kHz + CBR + Stereo + anything between
    128kbps and 256kbps.

+++++++++++++++
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Before clicking "save .WAV", you MUST choose an audio codec
    with which VirtualDub will compress the audio stream. Select
    "LAME MP3" + 48kHz + CBR + Stereo + anything between
    128kbps and 256kbps.

+++++++++++++++
    It's still not working. It won't save or do anything. It won't do not a thing. I tried saving as WAV nothing happened then i tried saving as nothing happened.
    Quote Quote