VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I'm in the market for a 19" LCD PC monitor, a multifunction printer (canon or HP only), ipod, and a Nvidia graphics card.

1) I don't know what to look for in a pc monitor. Are there any things I should pay special attention to? Are there any brands that are known for making good flat panel LCDs?

2) I can't decide between a Canon or HP multifunction printer. I've heard more about Canon than I have about HP. Could anyone with experience with one of their recent released multifunction printers let me know how they like it? Also, I imagine ink cartridge prices is something I should consider as well.

3) Here, I can't decide between a 5.5 80gb video Ipod and a ipod classic. I'm not happy with the color scheme of the new ipods but htere are some interesting features in them aren't available in the 5.5. My main concern is accessory compatibility. I've really wanted an Ihome for a while but could never afford it (or the ipod for that matter). Any recommendations there?

4) I have a 650 PSU but can't decide which Nvidia graphics card to purchase. It has to be compatible with Directx9 though. Any recommendations there?

Well, that's it. I figured I'd bunch all of my inquiries together to minimize threads.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A few suggestions
    1. Samsung
    2. Both good. Both have high ink prices
    3. ... no opinion
    4. For games or what?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Oh, I know I shouldn't push my luck but I do need a digital camera and camcorder. I swear I am actually able to buy all these things at once, lol.

1) I know samsung is good at making larger model flat panels but ones specifically for pcs?

2) High ink prices? The only other brand of quality is epson and I here they were or are having legal issues over that.

3) k

4) For everything...games and otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. I'm liking my 22" Samsung 226BW. They make larger and smaller.

4. 7600GT or 8600GT for adequate game performance and good video acceleration. 8600GT if MPeg4 AVC high def is important.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another vote for Samsung here. Tom's Hardware has consistently rated Samsung monitors highly for their color accuracy, speed and build quality. I'm using two 913V 19" monitors. In spite of being analog only the sharpness is superb. My next upgrade will hopefully be a pair of 245BW panels.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) I've used several different ones. I have dual NEC 19" 92VX models at work. They have a nice sharp picture and good color reproduction. I have a 20" WS ACER at home which I also like very much and has performed flawlessly (and I'm a gamer). The current generation of LCD panels don't suffer from most of the drawbacks of the older models (refresh and brightness issues). Mainly watch resolution (a standard 19" has a resolution of 1280x1024, my 20" is 1680x1050, choose a model that has the resolution that you use), refresh rate (for games only), and choose a model in your price range. Newegg is a good place to shop and read reviews.

2) Again, try a site such as Newegg and read reviews. Both should be reliable.

3) n/s

4) If you are only interested in DirectX 9, then any of the nVidia cards will meet your criteria. It boils down to cost. The best bang for the buck would be the 78xx/79xx series. If you have the money to spend, the 8xxx series would be roughly 1.5/2 times faster. For a little future proofing, the 8800 GTS 320MB version is the way to go at the moment ($280 or so regular price at newegg).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) Samsung and Viewsonic makes the best monitors... must have at least 19" Widescreen. I usually look at its contrast ratio and other features like TV tuner, audio, etc. The other major point is resolution, 1920x1080 is the highest and most expensive. Most 19" are 1440x900 for widescreen. Shop around and compare the models for your price range as long as its either Samsung or Viewsonic, both will be good to ya.

2) Get a Canon, more specialized in printers than HP... IMO.

3) Does it have to be an iPod...? Its mostly the hype, sound quality is less than Creative, screen smaller than competitor, uses proprietary software and you can't easily "browse" your iPod with Windows Explorer. Video is only in MP4???? what kind of crap is that... I like Creative Zen W for multiple video format support. Only thing iPod has is its small design and look...which I can live without since I wont be flashing it around like a design fad.

4) Bang for your buck? 8600 GT ($100) is the way to go and can easily slap on another cheap 8600 GT for SLI mode and performance is close to a $450 card for only $200!! And yes its my current setup...performance is amazing in BioShock, Stranglehold, Lost Planet, and everything else lol By amazing i mean 50+ FPS at FULL detail on my 26" 1360x768 resolution LCD
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Original post was for a 19 inch monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Original post was very vaugue about budget.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The review was posted in the last few days. I thought you might find it useful even though they weren't the size you were looking for. Different sizes of the same family have the same components and perform similarly. Guess I shouldn't have bothered.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The review was posted in the last few days. I thought you might find it useful even though they weren't the size you were looking for. Different sizes of the same family have the same components and perform similarly. Guess I shouldn't have bothered.
    I only want people to comment on 19 inch lcds. I'll make that specific statement now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Original post was very vaugue about budget.
    I have $13,000 to buy all these things.
    Quote Quote