VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I done the latest update on my ipod.
    I get the feeling it has affected sound on playback.
    It sounds more trebly.
    Is there a way i could sort out the problem or get rid of the update?

Plus i am having problems with other things.
    When i plug my ipod into other machines my music is still on my ipod luckily!
    Until i sync it on anothjer pc (after adding more music)
    The option 'Manually manage music' keeps unchecking itself!
    How do i stop this?

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The restore on itunes doesnt ork it doesnt downgrade its software version.

i am so close to taking it back.
    Unless someone can tell me a good thing to downgrade my ipod again?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why isnt anyone answering this, isit really that hard?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You waited two hours before bumping your first post. That just makes you impatient and makes people less inclined to even look at the post.

Go to Apple's support forums and see if there is a know problem or extra discussion about the last upgrade. iPods' like all Apple products, are very closed. You may do only what Apple allow you to do. Therefore, Apple should be your first port of call for support.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the support forums on apple are as much use as an ashtray for a frigging motorbike. lol.

Been waiting 2 weeks and 3 days for a reply on them.

Ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One of the reasons the iPod was awarded lemon product of the year for 2006 over here.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ill agree with that.
    I ******* hate apple im so ******* angry with them.

They must be sponsored by Adolf Hitler.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt the updates have changed the way the sound is playing. Have you tried going to Settings > EQ on the iPod and choosing a different EQ preset - or turning it off altogether?

As for reverting to an earlier version, I'm not sure if you can do that, now that iPod updating is handled exclusively through iTunes. Yours is probably a more recent iPod, but if you had an earlier version, you could try looking for the old stand-alone iPod restore/updater programs, and they used to bundle discs including those with the iPod. Not sure about now, though, and I really wouldn't recommend doing that with any of the newer iPods.

I believe there's something you do to make sure the other PCs/Macs (with iTunes) honor your Manually Manage setting , but I don't remember what it was. Also, I think it may be more likely not to overwrite your library if you have Manually Manage and have the iPod enabled for use as a regular hard drive (you can set that on the iPod itself, but it requires a button-press command I don't remember offhand But you can also set it on the iPod's properties page in iTunes - it should be the checkbox underneath Manually Manage... (I think it's "Enable disc use," or something like that. Since I also use my iPod as a hard drive, I always have both boxes checked.))

Finally, guns1inger's right - you may well find an answer to any problems you might have on Apple's site, in their forums or the troubleshooting pages. And they'll also have a mention of the button-press commands I've forgotten, somewhere.

(Edit: Since you were talking about having no luck with the forums while I was originally typing this, you might have better luck browsing through Apple's support/troubleshooting pages for the iPod, for whatever problems you may be having. The starting page is here: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ ...and then pick your iPod model.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just a thought but in the settings there is an equilizer to adjust the tone settings, your settings may have been overwriten with the upgrade,if not just go through the list of different equilizer names until you get the tone you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you so much guys for all your help.
    Sorry i got a bit inpatient as well im just really angry today with apple!
    I have days.. other days ill be angry with microsoft, all depends what's messing me about!

I'm interestedi n using my Ipod as a hard disk.
    Am i right in thinking it would be the same as if i had an MP3 player and i could copy and paste songs to and from it through my computer?

If so do let me know, i'm keen on doing this!

Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Technically, the iPod is an MP3 player.

But no, you can't just drag-and-drop music into the iPod's folders, unfortunately. You have to use a program that'll update the iPod's library (information) files, so that it knows the music is there, details about it, etc. Otherwise, neither the iPod nor any program that manages it (iTunes, Winamp, Yamipod, Floola, whatever) will see it. (In normal playback. The file(s) will still be there, of course.)

Other than that, though, in disk mode, you can use the iPod as you would any other removable hard drive/flash drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.

Is there software different to itunes which has the manage music manually feature?
    Something really good you would recommend?

I find itunes doesnt manually manage my music.
    Because whenever i connect a new hard disk it looses all the previos music on the ipod but keeps it on the library so after adding the files i have the previous load on the library and the new loto n the library.
    So i sync the ipod and it asks me to connect the other hard disk with music because it cant find the old songs in the library.

How do i sort this?

cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I mentioned above, I think it may work better if you have the Disk Use option enabled as well as Manually Manage..., but I'm not sure. I use my iPod with more than one system, and iTunes respects my library (it doesn't try to sync or change the iPod's library, or iTunes', to match) if I connect my iPod to any of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Enable disk use is greyed out when manually manage music is ticked though :S

why is this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First I've heard of that happening. What happens if you uncheck the Manually Manage Music box? If the Disk Use box can be checked, then, try enabling that first, then re-enable Manually Manage.

Which iPod model do you have? I don't think it matters, for the most part, although I vaguely recall hearing something about Disk Use not working with Shuffles (I'm probably wrong about that, though.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No luck

Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which iPod model do you have? (And/or when did you buy it?)

If you have a 5G/5.5G or earlier iPod, you can try setting disk mode on the iPod itself, using the method on this page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651
    (It'll probably work on the new iPods as well, but I can't be sure.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi mate i have the new 80GB I Pod.
    Its all metal.
    Silver.
    Ipod Classic it says.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... well, checking the Support pages for the Classic iPods doesn't have a link or mention of the above button method of setting the iPod to disk mode - just that it claims activating Manually Manage mode should also automatically place a check in the Disk Use box.

I'd still think the method listed on http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651 should work, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ill give it a go and let you know!

Thanks mate!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had no luck at all withj any of those mate.
    When i tick manually manage muic 'Enable Disk use' Fades out but ticks itself aswell!
    Quite often i find that the sync ipod option under 'File' is also faded.

Any ideas??

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is crazy.

I have just connected my ipod.
    Loaded loads of music from it from an IDE HDD>
    Synced it.
    Disconnected the hard disk.
    Reconnected another big hard disk full of music.
    Synced that but before doing so it aid i had a total of 100+ problems and those being that it couldnt find the songs that were on there before i attached the 2nd hard disk!

There is an option im sure to sort this out!

What isit its killing me not knowing?
    Quote Quote  
  23. There are ways to downgrade your firmware on the IPOD. There are lots of little tricks that you can do to manage your songs as well besides using iTunes. One program that I use is called YamiPod. It is for windows. It has a portable version out there as well that you can run from a portable storage device, i.e. flash drive, etc. I keep it on a separate flash drive, and use it to manage my music at school or at the office. It supports importing and exporting songs and videos. You can also make playlists with it.

Now for the firmware, there is a specific program out there for that as well but I forget the name of it. There are several things you can do with older firmware, like load another music management firmware along with it on your ipod, which allows for some customization of the theme and also adds some games and other features.

If you are interested in these things, you could visit www.ipodhacks.com or www.ipodwizard.com. They both have some solutions for your problem and also show you how to get the most out of your iPOD.

Please note that using some or any of the software in conjunction with your ipod will most likely result in voiding your warranty. (friendly disclaimer)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    chopdog1777: I'm not sure whether or not you can - or should - downgrade the firmware on the new Classic/Touch/etc. iPods. It probably wouldn't have much bearing on SE14man's sync problems, anyway.

Originally Posted by SE14man
    I had no luck at all withj any of those mate.
    When i tick manually manage muic 'Enable Disk use' Fades out but ticks itself aswell!
    Quite often i find that the sync ipod option under 'File' is also faded.
    So, are you saying that you could enable Disk Use, but it doesn't seem to help prevent parts/all of the iPod's library being overwritten when you sync with a different system? Do you happen to have songs you've bought from the iTunes Music Store on any of those computers?

The Support pages I read last night seem to imply that it should behave like I thought it would (as it's doing on my 3-4 year old iPod), but since the Classic/Touch/etc. models are so new, they might do things a little differently. And because they're still quite new to the market, you might want to ask Apple about it directly - either over the phone, or talking to someone in a nearby Apple Store. (Not that I'm giving up, but this is new territory, after all. )
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    chopdog1777: I'm not sure whether or not you can - or should - downgrade the firmware on the new Classic/Touch/etc. iPods. It probably wouldn't have much bearing on SE14man's sync problems, anyway.
    That would be a very good idea not to downgrade the newest IPODs. They rework some of the insides and some of the output calls in the firmware would not respond properly. The stuff I was mentioning was for upto the 5.5G models not including the new Nano, Touch, or Classic. No software has come out to date to add apps as I mentioned for these versions as far as I know, besides the unlock for the iPhone..
    Quote Quote