VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last night i edited the registry to fix another burning program. I was told what to do by a company. But now whenever i start up my computer it lets me login but explorer exe ain't even starting up. Is there anything i can do to fix that without reformatting my computer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer? Either way, it's not easy to destroy them.

I would try a 'System Restore' and never go back to that 'company' for advice.

You will find it in 'Accessories>System Tools>System Restore'. Pick a date before the 'modification'.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows explorer I did system restore 3 times and it aint helping. The company that told me what to do to fix this before was Alcohol 120%. Cause in the past nero and Alcohol 120% hated each other. And now with both in nero will go weird at times. So Alcohol 120% told me to edit the registry to fix the problem. This never caused windows explorer exe to just stop on me before. For me to get into my pc i gotta bring up task manager and add new task to load windows explorer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to restore old registry files on windows vista. I never saved the registry file i edited before. If not then i got no choice than to format.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's not good. If you mess about in the registry, you should make a backup of it first. That way you can recover from a error by loading in the backup. Any changes in the registry are instantaneous. It will never ask you if you really want to make the change like Windows or warn you of the consequences.

You may be able to repair the damage if you can reverse what you did. Or you may be able to do a repair of the OS with the Windows disc. Worst case, re-install the OS. I would back up your important files, just in case.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for trying to help me out. I did the registry edit before just when i got windows vista and everything was fine. Unless Something in my pc maybe interfeared in a way that caused explorer to do this. If i can get another windows vista explorer exe will this maybe fix my problem?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In short, no .

Re-edit and return registry values to pre-state order .

If you could supply the details of what needed to be changed, what you were told to change, it may be easier for us to see what the default values should be for those area's of the registry, which should solve the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Does your Start Menu show up?

If so, that makes it easy to get back into regedit.

If not, you can press Ctrl-Alt-Del, select Task Manager and then choose Run... to start a new process - type in 'regedit'. You can use this same method to try to run Explorer (type in 'explorer'). If Explorer shows up then this means that the problem doesn't lie with Explorer itself but rather the start up sequence.

If neither of the above let you get to regedit then you need to use the command prompt. When the computer boots, press F8 (you'll see the option) and choose "Safe mode with command prompt" (or something like that). This will let you use the command prompt instead of the normal Windows desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah none of the things helped fixed it. Oh well. Ill be formating it. Or maybe ill just go back to xp until next year. Since it seems like im having all shorts of issues on vista and not xp when i had it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23
    Yeah none of the things helped fixed it. Oh well. Ill be formating it. Or maybe ill just go back to xp until next year. Since it seems like im having all shorts of issues on vista and not xp when i had it.
    oh well at least you aren't alone - a very significant slice of 1st generation XP STR8 to Vista "upgraders" (ROLTLMAO) have suffered the same experience. Now what was the irresistable reason to migrate so quickly/completely despite all the criticisms early on from those made well before Vista's initial release aswell as first users ? Would you repeat the same decision after your recent Vista experience or opt for a less hasty approach considering a possible similar corresponding encounter in the future......
    Quote Quote