VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I seem to be unlucky with the latest 5001 I have. This one makes perfect recordings except that if you use +RW discs in HQ speed, the disc will fail to work in 50% of cases. I get freezing in all players as well as the recorder itself. Sounds like it isn't supplying enough power to the laser to make the burn. But it's flakey. I did 2 recordings the other night. The first wouldn't play but the second was perfect. The flawed discs also can't be ripped. It's not like I'm using cheap media as these were new Verbatim +RWs. Oddly enough though, if you use Verbatim +Rs in HQ speed, they work great though it's much more costly than using reuseables. Time to relegate the Liteon to VHS/Beta copy duty and find a replacement (again).....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you use -rw with this recorder? I'd try that first before jumping for a new recorder. I know my liteon recorder does - and + r. Though I don't really use it for recording any more since I got my tivo last winter (though I still use it for dvd playback).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, -RW not compatable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh than I guess you might as well start looking for a new model. Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just(this morning) had a bout of THROW THESE DAMN THINGS AWAY with 3 or 4 RW's that would not even burn as a data disc with either IMGBurn or Prassi Ones.
    I hate RW discs, never trusted them and really did pitch my last ones....some of them were at the bottom of the spindle and never used and I still pitched them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've always had best results with Sony +RW disks with my Liteon 5006b recorders and the original drives in them. Since changing the drive myself I've had no problems with any new disks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have a number of Liteon recorders, some with HDD. One being a 5001 and is basically the sane as my 5005 units.
    They all will accept a –RW disk. There are those that say a –RW is a more reliable disk that a +RW disk but have only used them a couple of times.
    I purchased some 60 Verbatim and 15 Maxell +RW disks when I only had the ilo units that will only accept a + disk

These disks Did Present a problem, in that the liteon or ilo units did not seem to erase them correctly. They might be accepted or rejected. They might also indicate a recording when they were not.
    ( A recording on any make with + or- disks was 0k ). All this was with units that had the original DVD burners and those with PC Burners as a replacement.

The more I tried to correct the problem with the stand-alone units the worse the problem disks got and I had about 35 disks that would not work in any machine.

While The disks were reported by the recorder as erased. When checked in a PC there were VOB files still on them and they would play on the PC with Power DVD but not in any recorder

I placed these disks in the PC and using Nero, did a full erase on them. ( I did not allow Nero Format the disk, to do so could confuse the recorders ) On some disks this had to be done 2 or 3 times
    I than placed the disks in a rcorder and Erased (which also formats) them

I was able to salvage about 20 and the rest were coasters About 9 were Maxell.
    This was almost 2 years ago and I have had no problems since. Some disks have been used over a hundred times
    I have been very careful in the use of +RW disks and have seen that they are properly erased and have only had to use the Nero routine some 6 times (with success).

I make sure that Each +RW disk is erased and accepted by the unit as a valid disk. This is not a problem unless a large number of disks allowed to accumulate, which I avoid.

I can only conclude that somehow I had miss-handled these disks

PS
    Thats for any speed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't really like DVD+RW discs. THe only ones that consistently work for me are older INFODISC-manufactured Memorex branded discs.

My LiteOn 5104 recently bit the dust, the drive won't read or write anymore. All I have left is my modded 5001, and it has the jitter problem when recording, so it's just a player..
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use HP(cmc) DVD+RW in my 5005. A record on them, edit the files, reburn on DVD+R and erase the +RW on my PC.

Never a problem. I did have some flakiness when I was erasing in the Lite-On.
    Quote Quote  
  10. should have been clearer on the use of Power DVD in the PC. It would play some of the remaining VOB files as individual files but the full program was corrupted. More files would not play than would

I erase mostly with the units erase. I do have concerns though even using a PC to erase and do check to be sure that the disk are/will actually record So I guess I do not have confidence in them and that’s not good. They are Verbatim and that would lead me to feel as lordsmurf does, about +RW disks. However I now have 4 units with HDD and record very little on a disk to be erased

While I have not had any recent problems It seems that a general consensus favors -RW disks I should get a few and try them for programs that I might record to use on other units and than erase.

For Keepers that are edited and dubbed to disk, I always use + or – R disks without any problems. Mostly Verbatim But some Maxell and Memorex (made by Ritek)

I have used a number of different Manufacture disks and have had no problems.
    I feel that many problems are being blamed on specific disks or firmware that is not really causing the problem they are having.

Some problems may/are caused by the firmwar?
    The comment by oldandintheway on the Liteon units could have merit as I have seen more complaints on the +RW disks by Liteom users. – BUT
    Most of my units have replaced DVD drives and would be controlled by the stand-alone units firmware and many are the same as in the PC units that did not have problems with +RW disks, when used
    Is a Problem with the +RW disks a problem of the Liteon stand-alone firmware as to these phase change disks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pulled out some old Verbatim -RWs (MCC 00RW11N9) and tried them in the 5001 and got an "Invalid Disc" message right away. Too bad I was never able to find an ILO R04 to experiment on as I believe you can change them to use -RWs as a 5005x.....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just did another with the Verbatim +R 16X MIT and got a perfect burn in HQ. I'm dumping the +RWs for HQ mode. Will have to experiment with other speeds but so far so good with SP and LP on the old Memorex +RWs. Even if DVD Decryptor balks at making an ISO with those, I can rip in IFO mode and author the mpegs with TDA.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Prior to getting the Liteon 5045 units I changed my ilo R04 to a Liteon 5000x and back to a R04 on a regular bases so I could burn a –R/RW disk. I used them mainly with –R disks and they worked fine. They could not be hacked as a 5000x, for analog MV but could be changed back to a ilo R04
    The 5000x is really a re-bag R04 in looks but has different firmware to make it allrite. The files are here
    http://www.ncc2315.com/ilo/
    They were developed by --- (kain)
    Quote Quote