VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks,

I have a question that has probably been brought up before, but I am wondering how many passes with CCE-SP2 is normal if one use it with DVD-rebuilder?

Johansson
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

How about a 5 page thread on just that subject, along with some metrics for the number of passes done?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=129163

Within that thread, the developer, jdobbs, says:
    It is my firm recommendation, based upon hundreds of tests, that most discs should be done with two passes, and only rarely, on very hard-to-encode sources you may want to use three passes.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1037224#post1037224

I might add that I don't subscribe to his statement. And to you I would just say to use the same number of passes that you usually use outside of DVD-RB. The fact that you're using CCE within DVD-RB doesn't make any difference.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I use 3 passes all the time. Other people tend to agree with manono's advice.
    The only time I would recommend more than 3 passes is if you have a very good reason for doing so. I was once given a sample file from an SVCD where some guy did some crazy stuff in shrinking the movie "Kill Bill Vol. 1" into SVCD format so that the entire film would fit on one CD-R. It looked much better than I expected, but it wasn't as good as the original source. The guy who made it did something like 20 passes with CCE. Unless you have something very unusual like that to do, 2 or 3 passes is usually enough.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    At least 6-pass if its full DVD9>DVD5 for me, sometimes I did 8 and more passes depending on the source type, however I don't know how good is latest CCE2 since I'm still using old CCE 1 if I need to...

BTW in DVD-Rebuilder I usually did set more passes and less space for menus (like 10-pass) if I include them on DVD5. I hate when discs have lavish, often at max CBR video menus that are there just to 'fill the space'
    And I disagree with jman98, 2 passes is almost never enough. Maybe if the source video is mostly static / low motion type, stills compilation or such, but normally you can see difference between i.e. 2-pass and 6-pass right away on any larger screen tv.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

If one look at a site with quality ratings, the movies are often done with 6-passes. I don’t know why as I’ve heard that 2 or 3 passes is good enough. Are they only in for to impress by the amount of time they putting their time on the picture or what, or are they just not informed how to use CCE?

Johansson
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I want to convert HD-DVD rips, I use 67 passes + 1 for Video Information File that CCE collects
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Belfour
    Are they only in for to impress by the amount of time they putting their time on the picture or what, or are they just not informed how to use CCE?
    Scene requirement, although a case can be made that the entire DVDR scene is just not informed how to use CCE.
    Originally Posted by Delta2
    When I want to convert HD-DVD rips, I use 67 passes + 1 for Video Information File that CCE collects
    Hehe, I hope you meant to say 6 or 7, rather than 67. Unless you were joking. Or unless you are really particular.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's all up to how particular you are about your idea of quality but 2 to 4 passes max is what I use to shrink a movie in DVD-RB.
    Geez Delta2! I sure hope you meant 6 to 7 passes too. I have an AMD 2.8GHz X2 and it takes about 2hrs to do 3 passes on movie like Ocean's 12. 67 would be a lifetime!
    You can fool some people all the time,you can fool some people part of the time, but you can't fool everybody all the time
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bullworth
    Geez Delta2! I sure hope you meant 6 to 7 passes too. I have an AMD 2.8GHz X2 and it takes about 2hrs to do 3 passes on movie like Ocean's 12. 67 would be a lifetime!
    Yeah..lol

read this thread :

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic299618.html?highlight=matrix

and then read this one :

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic326127.html

1 pass - CCE SP2 - Dual core threads ( audio + video )

it's enough you to understand,

Portuguese people love SPEED, 98% of them, and those that uses CCE SP2, I don't allow them to use more than 3+1 passes.....for converting movies
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Delta2
    Originally Posted by Bullworth
    Yeah..lol

read this thread :

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic299618.html?highlight=matrix

and then read this one :

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic326127.html

1 pass - CCE SP2 - Dual core threads ( audio + video )

it's enough you to understand,

Portuguese people love SPEED, 98% of them, and those that uses CCE SP2, I don't allow them to use more than 3+1 passes.....for converting movies
    youre forgetting "speed" (of encoding) is directly relative to the machine's power.
    If someone has an old rig, even 1-pass CBR will go on as long as someone else's 6-pass VBR on newest rig, hence I don't understand your 'statement' about portuguese people LOL 1 - it sounds like youre some kind of dictator ("I don't allow them..."), and 2 - you assume that *all* "portuguese people" use some kind of outdated rigs only

and I dont even want to ask where you get the stats about "98% of portuguese people preferring SPEED" since it could be only from a .bs domain site
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888

youre forgetting "speed" (of encoding) is directly relative to the machine's power.
    If someone has an old rig, even 1-pass CBR will go on as long as someone else's 6-pass VBR on newest rig
    Of course it is, never said it wasn't, but for those people that still have 486DX with Win95...I will recommend WinAVI, maybe also VSO, or some other light encoding soft, but never CCE or HCEnc...whatever

=====
    hence I don't understand your 'statement' about portuguese people LOL 1 - it sounds like youre some kind of dictator ("I don't allow them..."), and 2 - you assume that *all* "portuguese people" use some kind of outdated rigs only
    ========

I make my words that from the developer, jdobbs, quoted above

If you make more than 3+1 passes...you are crazy, you wont get any better quality ..never

======
    and I dont even want to ask where you get the stats about "98% of portuguese people preferring SPEED" since it could be only from a .bs domain site
    =======

That stats comes from underground

And you don't get any download from that server, but from CLIX ISP provider , which is D2MP also portuguese, changed that recently because of my hosting problems

http://avi2iso.planetaclix.pt/avi2iso.rar

http://d2mp.planetaclix.pt

D2MP don't accept CCE SP2, I made another choice, but is BETA...ALPHA, well say BS Beta-Alpha....

for my fun only as I said elsewhere, and M$ life experiences
    Quote Quote