VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. Just thought I'd say hello first.
    This is my first post here.
    I had been trying to find some good software to restore VHS and came across Alive Studios.
    Just curious to see what they do, I had a look around and saw this demo of restored VHS.
    The video plays on site with Quicktime or Media player.
    Amazing what you can do if you have the money.
    Code:
    http://www.alivestudios-memories.co.uk/-movies/video/demo-qt.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Stuart, welcome

You can use NeatVideo to restore video to similar specs. $50

http://www.neatvideo.com/index.html

Video examples:

http://www.neatvideo.com/examples.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or if you want to experiment with some freeware, VirtualDub has many filters available for video. http://www.thedeemon.com/VirtualDubFilters/

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    Gonna have a look at Neatvideo, and have used VirtualDub a few times.
    Never got results as good as the ones in the video though.

Will persevere.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RE the above link, which is here again -
    http://www.alivestudios-memories.co.uk/-movies/video/demo-qt.html
    can someone explain what the problems are in the origonal (left) and how they've been fixed in the final (right).
    I'm sure StuartB4 would be interested and me too.

I'd say a full TBC/sync(for jitter/rolls), soften with some mellow NR, and contrast down.
    I think the result looks a bit dull/dark in places.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say a full TBC/sync(for jitter/rolls), soften with some mellow NR, and contrast down
    Probably, along with a white balance or RGB adjustment.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I use a Panasonic dvd recorder, it does a fine job with its filters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What a joke. Those videos are not even remotely damaged.

"Oh wow, look at me, I can track a VCR and use a TBC." Whoop-dee-doo.

No filters needed, just pure hardware.

The contrast and color quality in the final video is pretty terrible. The original looks better.

This is a misleading example. Hell, it's a borderline outright lie.

If the video has a damaged tracking area, it won't restore like that. What they're showing you appear to be a normal VCR that is known to be crappy, and comparing it to a good VCR that can lock the signal down. You are possibly viewing the difference in false MV detection from the before, and a TBC in the after. Not that the TBC filtered anything, just that it prevented the capture device from doing something wonky.

Sites like that piss me off. They're not being fully honest.

It does look like they can do good work (all the right signs are there, things Joe Blow wouldn't know to look for), but they could lay off the bullshit a bit. A used car salesman appears to have written their copy.

Also notice the fine print:
    You may however like to choose our 'unbranded' option which for an extra £100 per order, removes any trace of our studio branding from the film and the packaging. This also allows you to send in your logo to be included on the box
    They write their name all your videos. I think that's bullshit too.

And yes, I'm being exceptional harsh. I find these business models to be annoying and damaging to the rest of the video conversion/restoration field. I almost want to take a shower after viewing those kinds of sites, I feel like I was just dipped in slime.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sites like that piss me off. They're not being fully honest.
    Well I though it looked fishy too me, and I did wonder how good (um.. bad) that first VCR used was.
    So you think tracking is a big issue to start with which is very mis-leading as that's not hard to sort with an average VCR. And the contrast, etc. looks over corrected to me.
    But they make the example look better overall, and I can see why it would attract willing customers.
    StuartB4 keep looking at the Restoration topics and they should help you if you fancy doing it yourself, if the equiptment is bought S/H and cheaply then you can sell it off when you've finished coping and hence cut your losses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I personally thought this thread is a shitload of SPAM myself when I first saw it. Is it just me or what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    I personally thought this thread is a shitload of SPAM myself when I first saw it. Is it just me or what?
    Nope, its not just you....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad I picked fault then! Hope that distroyed anyone's belief in the companies ability to provide value for money transferes.
    In my humble opinion
    It's as good to see bad examples, as is good examples. Helps you focus on the possiblilties in restoration.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ha Ha Ha What a Con Game, someone is making sure that it has tracking problems. I hope know one fell for the ookie dookie..................
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Did anyone else notice his (StuartB4) post count is 2? Both in a thread pushing his 'product'????
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you think he runs their website? I bet he didn't like the used car salesman analogy.

I run a very successful transfer company, a big competitor to Alive Studios and not too far away. I doubt they would use this approach to get links, they are pretty big, it's probably genuine. I know the owner and she is a very nice gal and I doubt they have time for this tomfoolery.

To be honest, in our experience there is not a great deal you can do to a VHS image other than the usual colour, intensity, saturation corrections, but I would be interested to know if it is possible to scale up the image via a HD scaler, then take the output of that into the editing suite? Would it work, have I explained it correctly?

Cheers
    Ian
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On this post about VCR's
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic326492-30.html
    Undead Saga's used my jpg stills of a VHS transfere to upscale to HD and run aditional NR.
    Considering the far from direct nature I thought it looked promising.
    The caps are near the bpttom of the page. If you captured in DV quality and converted to HD, and filtered I'm sure the results would be better, but not for me, too long winded
    Quote Quote