VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

For the last couple of recordings, my JVC VHS/DVD player/burner (Model DR-MV5SU) won't playback timed recording on Maxell DVD-Rs (4.7 GB/x16 100 spindle bought at Office Depot). If I look at the back of the DVD-R, I can see that the burner did add something to the disc 'cause it's clear where there's content and the purple part where there isn't but I get a message saying "Unreadable Disc."

The JVC unit says to use DVD-Rs that are 4x speed; the Maxell DVD-Rs I use go up to 16x, which I guess it means it can record at all speeds up to 16x?

If I insert a blank DVD-R and hit record, the records and plays back the DVD-R but for some strange reason it record the timed recording but doesn't play it back.

I use these DVD-Rs on my PC, too and haven't had any problems.

Is it the unit itself that's faulty or the DVD-Rs? What should I do?

PS I can't remember how old the unit is but would say about 2-3 years and haven't had any problems (yet).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maxell is not a good Dvd-R according to the DVD Media section, Try JVC own brand. JVC is picky with its selection it likes.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maxell DVDs are terrible. Before I learned anything about DVD quality at
    http://www.nomorecoasters.com
    I foolishly bought a 25 pack. I had so many coasters I said "Never again".

I would recommend either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DVD-R discs. The quality is excellent and they rarely have playback problems. I'd go to the website I listed and see what they say about JVC discs before I would buy those.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maxell-manufactured media are some of the best discs you can get.

HOWEVER...

The problem is most stores now only carry Maxell-branded media, which is Ritek-manufactured.

Manufacturer vs branding rears it's ugly head yet again.

JVC does not manufacture discs either. They buy cheap Chinese and Hong Kong crap. Avoid those.

Only use Verbatim DVD-R in the JVC, for the best experience. In the USA, buy online (meritline.com, gotmedia.com, supermediastore.com) or in stores (Office Max, Best Buy).

The JVC book is several years old now. Forget what is says about media speed. It burns realtime on all media (less than 1x), and will work well on 16x Verbatim. Only use 2x DVD-RW, not 4x DVD-RW, if using RW media. I would not suggest using DVD-RAM.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I made a mistake when I bought three (3) 100 spindle Maxell DVD-Rs at Office Depot? Now that I think about, maybe that's why they were on special -- $19.95 (regular price $59.95). I thought: I can buy 3 for the price of 1(!) but didn't think why the price was reduced so much.

The Maxell DVD-R that I though work (great) (well, I haven't had any problems yet) when I'm burning files on my PC, so I guess I'll use them there but will definitely look at the brands (Verbatim got to mentions so I'll look at that one first) and sites mentioned here to record on the JVC stand-alone unit.

Thanks so much for the replies and info, guys!
    Quote Quote  
  6. mica

I have used many different disks and have had no problems.
    Mostly I use Verbatim but also Maxell both are top disks.

All to often a specific disk is blamed for a problem when it is the unit at fault or the operator has goofed.
    I would think by your last post, you goofed Thats OK we all have

The advice given by lordsmurf should be well taken by those that feel a disk or firmware is the problem.
    My Liteon units record as he states. The disk speed makes no difference, or the disks themselves
    I use + and –R disks and only +RW I did have a problem way back with the +RW in an erase issue but was solved when I used a proper procedure.

Edit

When you bought a spindle of 100 Maxell disks for $20 you got a good deal on a good disk
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah. I guess I goofed in my excitement over the deal I was getting that I didn't stop to think why the price was so low. I mean it could be just this spindle that's giving problems. I've used only Maxell before (both DVD-RW and -R) and haven't had any problems.

I will look at Verbatim though and use those with my stand-alone DVD player/burner. I haven't had any problems with Maxell and my computer, so I'll use the remaining 200+ DVD-Rs there.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim "Made In Taiwan" discs are on special all the time up here. I bought 2 100 piece spools last week for $19.95CAD/spool. No need to buy cheap media...EVER!
    Quote Quote