VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a mov file that I'd like to read into Vegas. It doesn't recognize the format. Is there some accessory that will do the job?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i think you first have to install quicktime or quicktime alternative
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm don't check Vegas 6, but... Vegas 7 required QuickTime 7 to import .mov files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That seems very odd that one would need QT itself to get Vegas to work. I sent a message to the fellow who wrote the program to produce the mov file. He may have used some compression, camera rate or other property that's not compatiible with QT. Maybe he has a codec that can be used with Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any sample file?

Show file information from MediaInfo.

(Sometime possible change container to AVI - example when video is DV or MJPEG...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That seems very odd that one would need QT itself to get Vegas to work
    Why ?

a) You don't need quicktime to get Vegas to work, just to import MOV files.

b) Vegas will happily import any number of formats, as long as you have the correct codecs installed on your system. It doesn't load Huffyuv or Lagarith files natively. Is this odd ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    a) You don't need quicktime to get Vegas to work, just to import MOV files.
    I'm can't import .mov file in Sony Vegas 7 (from cam - Apple JPEG (MJPEG) and uncompressed audio) without QuickTime.

b) Vegas will happily import any number of formats, as long as you have the correct codecs installed on your system. ...
    Not exactly and not always...
    Example Sony Vegas 7 can't handle DX50 and XVID FourCC (when DivX 6 and Xvid installed of course).
    Can use DivX VfW or ffdshow VfW, but after change FourCC to DIVX.
    Can't use Xvid VfW to decoding video.

I'm check only trial version Sony Vega 7, well...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What does QT have to do with importing anything? Import to what? Are you talking about the Import on the File menu in Vegas? I've never used it. I just tried it with Media, and it gave me an error msg.

I have no trouble dragging and dropping a typical mov (well, I did this just once to try it) what I would call a typical mov file. I do have trouble with the attached file. It runs properly in QT. The original images are in an uncommon format, and an intermediate program written by a colleague turns them into mov files. Maybe he uses a compression or some image property that's not acceptable to Vegas. I sent him a msg to ask if he produces some sort of codecs for his program that might work with Vegas.

v20070923_230731_dashdot.mov
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's sprite animation - not video!

I'm don't see possibility open animation in Sony Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I vaguely have an idea what you mean by sprite animation. Apparently, the file I posted uses small images imposed on a static image. Is that what you mean? I have little knowledge of QT and it inner workings.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by solarblast
    I vaguely have an idea what you mean by sprite animation. Apparently, the file I posted uses small images imposed on a static image. ...
    Hmm... yes.

QuickTime Sprite and Tween Tracks

In traditional cel-based animation, images appear in every frame. With sprite
    an image (a sprite) is sent once and the user's computer draws the image in
    locations as the movie plays. Sprites make it possible to have complex animations
    virtually no bandwidth cost.

To add sprite animation to a QuickTime movie, you create a sprite track in an
    program and then import the track into QuickTime. The animation can be an
    short image sequence, or a video clip moved around in the frame.

One sprite track can contain multiple sprites. They can pass in front of or behind
    other, and change their depth order (allowing variable visibility) in the course
    movie. The source for a sprite can be a single bitmap, a bitmap image sequence,
    vector image, a video track, a live stream, or even a source specified by a URL.

A "tween track" modifies other tracks. A tween track is often used with sprite
    specify the animation of the sprite. Tween tracks can also be used for things
    smoothly fading video in or out or turning the movie volume up or down.
    Sounds similarly as Flash...

Something other...
    MOV may contain video and... MIDI audio track.
    Of course Sony Vegas (and many other soft) can't handle MIDI audio track.
    Quote Quote