VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just got my MVP and the box I WAS building fried (sigh :>( ) Want to store some 200 + dvd(s) I have in a compressed format. (Have a 160 g hd coming). Whats the best way to convert the DVD's for a balance between size and quality?
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to add 'time involved' also as part of the 'best way'. Personally I would convert them to Xvid or Divx at about 1-1.5GB size with a program like AutoGK. Or FairUse Wizard.

No matter what software method you use, it will take some amount of time, depending on your CPU speed. Faster CPU=faster conversion time. But it will take more room than 160GB, though I assume you will add more storage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just did RATDvd on 16 blocks. Quality is in credible. Wonder if this m MVP will see it though. Any feed back on this ??
    Thanks for the input btw :>)

Bonie
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I prefer to just rip them, no compression, but I strip the very annoying copyright warnings at the beginning of the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RealTelstar
    I prefer to just rip them, no compression, but I strip the very annoying copyright warnings at the beginning of the disc.
    Same here, get more HDD space and leave the quality alone. If you ever view these files on a large screen TV you will be glad you did not re-encode them. The more action and motion in the video the more quality you will lose. DivX, Xvid, Nero Digital and even the fabled h264 are not miracle software, when you reduce video file size you have to lose something. H264 may the best of the bunch but in the end you lose.

BTW I think you will have a problem with AC3 audio and the MVP. My MVP does not play AC3 and most commercial DVDs are AC3 or DTS.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by THE_oldguy
    Just did RATDvd on 16 blocks. Quality is in credible. Wonder if this m MVP will see it though. Any feed back on this ??

Bonie
    No, it wont play the ratdvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmmm How do you like your MVP.?? Any thoughts on set up and do you use the server software from Hauppaug ??
    What about ripping DVD to Mpeg 4 or 2 .. Just the main movie??
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick

Bonie
    No, it wont play the ratdvd.

wHAT ABOUT RIPPING TO MPEG 2 OR 4.. WILL IT STILL BE AN ISSUE? (sorry caps lock stuck :>) )
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmmm How do you like your MVP.?? Any thoughts on set up and do you use the server software from Hauppaug ??
    What about ripping DVD to Mpeg 4 or 2 .. Just the main movie??
    I have been using the MVP for a few years but recently replaced it with another Linkplayer2. The main issue for me with the MVP was that it is limited to SD mpeg2 with mp2/mp3 audio. I used the server software that came with GBPVR(freeware) instead of the Hauppauge server software because it provided a nicer UI. Other formats like DivX can be played using the MVP BUT BUT these files have to be transcoded on the fly, which means that your PC has to be quite beefy in order to get smooth playback. The bottom line is that the MVP was designed and is sold to run mpeg2 video.

If you re-encode your DVDs to mp4 then you will not be able to play them using the MVP. My suggestion is to just rip the main movie in its native format, mpeg2, and convert the AC3 audio to something that the MVP accepts.

If you are going to be watching the ripped DVDs on a small screen SD TV using the MVP and you do not have a beefy computer then your only option is to leave the rip as mpeg2 and convert the audio.

Check out the GBPVR site and forum for information on the file types that can be transcoded on the fly and viewed with the MVP but if I am not mistaken I think DivX is the only one.

I am pretty sure you will find a lot more information regarding the MVP using Google. The MVP has been around a long time and many of people have worked on ways around its limitations.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tanx , Been running the forums a lot latley (up til 2 am last night.. . sigh...) lots of conflicting info. Unfortunatly the box I planned to use for the server fried the hard drive the other day.. How envasive is the software? Can I load it temp on my main system and not bollucks it up??

Bonie
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tanx , Been running the forums a lot latley (up til 2 am last night.. . sigh...) lots of conflicting info. Unfortunatly the box I planned to use for the server fried the hard drive the other day.. How envasive is the software? Can I load it temp on my main system and not bollucks it up??

Bonie
    For my tastes GBPVR is pretty invasive. It is primarily for scheduling TV recordings but has a plugin for serving to the MVP. The really invasive thing is transcoding on the fly. If you use the MVP server software and stream mpeg2 files with the correct audio then the amount of system resources used is very small. The MVP does the mpeg2 decoding but if you want to use a different video format, such as DivX, then you have to use your servers cpu and ram to decode the video from DivX to mpeg2 BEFORE streaming it to the MVP. Transcoding from DivX to mpeg2 on my P4 2.53 XP Pro systems pretty much pegs the cpu and makes the box unuseable for anything else and it does not play the full video smoothly.

I hate to say it but the MVP has you boxed you in...is there anyway to return it and get a different network media player? One that plays more formats?

Otherwise, given your setup, you really have no other option but to stream mpeg2 with the correct audio using the Hauppauge MVP server software.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OH WELLLLL Whats the best way to convert vob to mpeg.. trying out vob2mpg now.. seems ok any sugestions?
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OH WELLLLL Whats the best way to convert vob to mpeg.. trying out vob2mpg now.. seems ok any sugestions?
    VOB2MPG works fairly well. My software of choice is VideoReDo. When I get home this evening I will check to see if VRD can convert AC3 audio to MP2 or MP3 while it is creating the mpeg file. VRD will also convert ISO to a single mpeg file. I mention this because every so often VOB2MPEG and VRD will not be able to create the full mpeg file from the vobs in the video_ts folder.

FWIW Linkplayer2 from I-O data can be bought online for $149 and you may also be able to get one at a local CompUSA. I recently purchased my second one at CompUSA for $120. The DVD player in the LP2 is worthless but for streaming WMV, WMV HD, DivX, DivX HD, mp4, DV avi, mpeg2, ts, vob and ISO along with AC3. AAC and a host of other audio types, it is rock solid especially if you use server software called WIZD. WIZD uses no resources and provides some nice capabilities. It is easy to setup and as long as your network is operational it will find it and connect. The MVP can be somewhat fussy in that regard.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with ripping with VOB2MPG and using that file is it's size. If you were to end up with even 5GB videos, you would only get about 32 on your 160GB hard drive. I have one 400 disc DVD changer that is a lot simpler solution.

I also have two video server computers, but they use Xvid, Divx or what ever format the originals were. The video files are read over a LAN connection to the HTPC which plays them with a software player to a video projector. For DVDs, I just use the DVD changer direct to the projector.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    The problem with ripping with VOB2MPG and using that file is it's size. If you were to end up with even 5GB videos, you would only get about 32 on your 160GB hard drive. I have one 400 disc DVD changer that is a lot simpler solution.

I also have two video server computers, but they use Xvid, Divx or what ever format the originals were. The video files are read over a LAN connection to the HTPC which plays them with a software player to a video projector. For DVDs, I just use the DVD changer direct to the projector.
    ER UH Did I tell you my middle name is CHEAP!! What 400 disk changer do you have?
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They are in my computer profile: 2 X Sony DVP-CX995V (400 disc DVD changers.) About $350US when I bought them. But I use my video servers more. Combined, about 5TB storage.

I just access the wanted drive from my HTPC over the gigabit LAN and play the video with either KMPlayer or VLC Media player. I don't bother to convert the formats anymore, so no problem with PAL, Ogg or RMVB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wHAT DO YOU USE AT THE TV TO ACCESS YOUR SERVERS?
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    (Have a 160 g hd coming).
    You need more disk space. Until you have AT LEAST 500 GB to play with, this discussion is pointless. You will have to compress beyond what most of us would find to be acceptible in order to fit 200+ DVDs on a small 160 GB disk drive.

Properly encoded Divx files can give excellent quality results. I don't recommend H.264/X.264 encodes for your use as they take too long to encode on all but the most powerful systems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update on MVP
    AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH :>( #$%# Thing seems to be DOA !! Got the server built /loaded xp/ all service packs/ lplugged all in in all the little places.... NADDA/ Called Hauppauge and they confirm DOA... Giving me an RMA #
    THE ONGOING SAGA..... (sigh)
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am SOOOO embarrased See What had happened was...... Wrong set of av cables... uh OOOPPPs
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bits Wrote:
    "VOB2MPG works fairly well. My software of choice is VideoReDo. When I get home this evening I will check to see if VRD can convert AC3 audio to MP2 or MP3 while it is creating the mpeg file. VRD will also convert ISO to a single mpeg file. I mention this because every so often VOB2MPEG and VRD will not be able to create the full mpeg file from the vobs in the video_ts folder. "

Ok now I feeling brain dead.... Mpegs created with Vob2mpg have no sound/ same with VRD... MVP won't even see DviX files created with Fairuse... Any Tuts available to convert mpg ac3 to mp3 ?? Preferably in original pass. How do you guys convert vob file to mpeg?
    HELP!!!!!
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did PM you.....I just read this post and I think the issue you are having with no sound in the VRD file is that you have to tell VRD to convert the AC3 audio while it is creating the mpeg2 file. When you go to Save As there is an Options button that you need to click on and in there in the Audio Properties you choose MPEG. Then save the file and as the file is being saved it will convert the audio to MPEG which the MVP will play just fine.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bits
    I did PM you.....I just read this post and I think the issue you are having with no sound in the VRD file is that you have to tell VRD to convert the AC3 audio while it is creating the mpeg2 file. When you go to Save As there is an Options button that you need to click on and in there in the Audio Properties you choose MPEG. Then save the file and as the file is being saved it will convert the audio to MPEG which the MVP will play just fine.
    Actually did that,(I think), last night. Gonna load it in server and try .... later... will keep you posted.
    What about converting mpeg sound to mp3? Any killer ,(as in quick / FREE), appps for this??
    T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    wHAT DO YOU USE AT THE TV TO ACCESS YOUR SERVERS?
    I use my HTPC computer for accessing the servers. I can use the projector screen, but I have a 15" LCD monitor from the HTPC that I use next to my coffee table, along with a keyboard and mouse. Remote controls are too much of a bother to me.
    Quote Quote