VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi

i do cine conversions and from time i get requests to create a file which is best for mac users. what would be the best quality file format options that i could offer to a mac user ( i believe that an avi is out of the question). secondly
    would i need a mac to capture? sorry if these are stupid questions..
    philippe
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most any video formats are usable on a Mac, much the same as a PC. Quicktime would probably be the best choice, though, as a more 'native' format. Take a look at Quicktime Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Mac" covers a wide range. Is the target a stock iBook or a Final Cut Pro edit station?

"best quality file format" means playable on the widest range of machines or best picture quality?

What format is the file now?

Is this file to be edited at the destination or just played? If edit, RAW DV format as in .DV

Quicktime Pro will convert DV.AVI to DV.DV Raw.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    im looking to give them a quality copy that they can use with the widest range of machines and best picture quality

sorry cant be clearer really!

if i had to guess, 9 times outta ten it would be to play and edit using higher end programs such as final cut pro
    philippe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devdev
    im looking to give them a quality copy that they can use with the widest range of machines and best picture quality

sorry cant be clearer really!

if i had to guess, 9 times outta ten it would be to play and edit using higher end programs such as final cut pro
    If in doubt, stick to Raw *.dv for post production and routine Quicktime for playback.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are supplying to most post houses Uncompressed 8bit Quicktime is always the best for FCP users. If they are going to be editing in smoke, fire etc you can never go wrong with TGA sequences delivered on external drives as they are large (1 gbish a minute). If you are going to smaller post houses QT DV will probably do it all depends on what the client wants and the final output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would help to know the source format. By "cine conversions" I thought you meant home movies on film. If you are a serious film transfer house you should know your current video format. I agree that the ideal film transfer would output TGA or Tiff sequences on hard disk.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote