VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Pioneer DVR-510H DVD/HDD recorder, which by my understanding is one of the few standard def. DVD/HDD recorders that offers both a Firewire input and output. When I connect the Firewire output of my DVR to my Mini DV camera, the camera detects the video signal just fine, and if I cared to do so, I could easily record from my DVR to my Mini DV camera via Firewire. However, when I try connecting the DVR to my PC via Firewire, the PC seems to detect the DVR as a generic DV video device, but strangely I'm not able to capture video from my DVR to my PC via Firewire. No video displays when I try to perform a capture in Premiere, nor am I able to do a Firewire capture from my DVR with any of my other DV capture utilities.

I'm able to capture video from my Mini DV camera to my PC via Firewire without any problems, and I'm also able to record video from my DVR to my Mini DV camera via Firewire without problems as well. Why, then, am I not able to record from my DVR to my PC via Firewire? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm afraid that's the way it is. There isn't anything wrong.

The way that miniDV cams and DVD recorders detect each other via FireWire is different than the way that they are detected by Windows (and probably Linux and Mac OS). It all comes down to the DV/FireWire chipsets that the DVD recorders use. Unfortunately, it isn't brand specific. Some Pioneers can, some can't. Some Sonys can, some can't

I have two DVD recorders that both have FireWire input. Naturally, DV camcorders work just fine with them. Only one works with a Windows PC. When connected, it shows up just like a DV camcorder. The other one confuses the cr@p out of Windows and installs the wrong drivers and screws everything up DV-wise (this is on Vista, on XP it just doesn't get installed at all).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BroadcastTech
    I have a Pioneer DVR-510H DVD/HDD recorder, which by my understanding is one of the few standard def. DVD/HDD recorders that offers both a Firewire input and output. When I connect the Firewire output of my DVR to my Mini DV camera, the camera detects the video signal just fine, and if I cared to do so, I could easily record from my DVR to my Mini DV camera via Firewire. However, when I try connecting the DVR to my PC via Firewire, the PC seems to detect the DVR as a generic DV video device, but strangely I'm not able to capture video from my DVR to my PC via Firewire. No video displays when I try to perform a capture in Premiere, nor am I able to do a Firewire capture from my DVR with any of my other DV capture utilities.

I'm able to capture video from my Mini DV camera to my PC via Firewire without any problems, and I'm also able to record video from my DVR to my Mini DV camera via Firewire without problems as well. Why, then, am I not able to record from my DVR to my PC via Firewire? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    When you say "DVR" are you talking about the DVD recorder or something else? Most cable/sat DVR boxes use MPeg2_TS in JVC's DVHS format over IEEE-1394. None of these use DV format.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Pioneer DVR-510H and have no problem transferring video recorded on its hard drive via Firewire to my Macintosh computers. I don't know if you are doing anything different than me. I presume you know that the firewire output only works with video recorded on the Pioneer's hard drive or on a DVD disc. There are no settings for the export. Just start playing and the Firewire link is active.

The import should work the same as if you had connected a Canopus ADVC capture device. Your issue appears to be with how Premiere captures video from non-camcorder DV devices and not with your Pioneer recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz

The import should work the same as if you had connected a Canopus ADVC capture device. Your issue appears to be with how Premiere captures video from non-camcorder DV devices and not with your Pioneer recorder.
    If that is the problem, it is easy to fix. Just turn off device control in Premiere Pro preferences.
    Quote Quote