VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I have now a DVD player/recorder philips 3380 connected by SCART to a CRT TV
    I will buy a LCD HD ready TV : sony KDL32D3000

Is it a good idea to replace my DVD player SCART/YUV by a DVD player with HDMI port ?
    is it a big difference in picture quality ?

Which dvd player do you advice ?

Thanks for advices
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, HDMI will be a big improvement over SCART.

I hesitate to recommend players because I don't know what you want to do, but many people love the quality of various Oppo players. You will have to mail order one if you want it and they aren't cheap. I'm assuming you're in the UK based on your SCART question (we don't use that in North America), so your price would be 100 pounds or more for any Oppo player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMO, you won't see a huge difference on a 32" LCD TV. Some difference exists, but if it is worth it, is in on your judgment.
    And since your future TV is going to be a Sony, that means the upscaling from the DVD standalone might be deactivated through the HDMI connections.

Regarding DVD standalone players, I'm a fan of the later Pioneers ones. I own a 696 myself
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The upscaling issue aside, there is a quality difference between SCART and HDMI. As also pointed out, the bottom line is your budget and how often you use the dvd player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get a Phillips dvp5960 from amazon for £40,it upscales,plays divx and the picture quality is as good as my denon that I paid £250 for might be easier than importing an oppo.There are places that you can get oppo players over here but they are not cheap.
    Quote Quote