VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Folks,

I've been experimenting with DVD creation for a while now, and so far it's been pretty simple. I've recently finished capturing a set of old tv shows we like, and I want to burn them to dvd, with a menu, for easy viewing.

I have the TMPGEnc programs to re-encode if necessary and to author the dvd.

1) CAN I re-encode these files (mpeg-2 704x480, 23.976 fps, 4:3 ratio) to maxamize the number of show I can place on a dvd? Right now I can do 3 or 4 shows per dvd. WMV perhaps?

2) When I import files in DVD Author, can I capture the file name in the menu somehow?

I appreciate the help. Pointing towards guides is always appreciated.

Hal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

1) CAN I re-encode these files (mpeg-2 704x480, 23.976 fps, 4:3 ratio) to maxamize the number of show I can place on a dvd? Right now I can do 3 or 4 shows per dvd. WMV perhaps?
    WMV will not work if you want to make a dvd spec dvd. WMV is data. Only a handful of dvd players can play wmv on a dvdr but I'm not even sure if there are any that do.

An alternative would be to convert them to divx or xvid if your player can handle that. However only divx ultra players can support divx menus.

The other part of your question is yes you can reencode the video to lower bitrates to lower the file size. You can use an mpeg encoder like tmpgnec plus to change the bitrate to a lower level to squeeze more onto the disc.

Another part to this question is do you have a dual layer dvd burner? If so buy dual layer discs and you can fit 8gigs instead of 4gigs on the dvd. Double the capacity essentially.

2) When I import files in DVD Author, can I capture the file name in the menu somehow?
    If there is I don't know where that option is. It would be nice for when I transfer tivo files to my pc from my tivo as that info is embedded in the file. The only way I know is to manually type it all in - or copy and paste it from the file name by going to the folder itself and edit the name and simply copy the text and then paste it into the title tab in tmpgenc dvd author (or whatever authoring program you are using).

I hope I'm not making this sound more complicated than you were looking for. I'm trying to be thorough in my response. Please feel free to ask specifics if you are unsure about something. I or another member here will be able to help flesh out the detail a little more.

Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment. Remember rewritable discs are a great way to test new ideas without wasting discs.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your responses were great. I'm new to the TMPGEnc products, so I am still experimenting. One more question. If I lower bitrates to lower the file size, do you have preference to the best reduction with still the best quality?

Just for those that are curious why I don't just use multiple dvds, I would, but I have young children and want to minimize how much the littlest ones mess with my dvd player. More shows per disk, less fussing with the disks.

Thanks for all the help!
    I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it..... Yup. Spppllttt. It's gone.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use VideoHelp Bitrate Calculator from this web site to check how many episodes you can fit on DVD. It depends how big is your TV. Bigger = larger bitrate. I would not go bellow 3000kbs and use VBR to encode Mpeg file with TMPGEnc Plus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, well, now I feel dumb as a box of rocks...

My re-encoded file is 1.5 gigs in size. What the heck is up with THAT? HA!

The originals are nowhere near that big. But that might not mean anything in regard to how they are processed to a dvd, right?

Can anyone point me to a good TMPGEnc tutorial please....

Hal
    I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it..... Yup. Spppllttt. It's gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WMV is variant of mpeg-4. DVD requires mpeg-2. General rule of thumb is that your mpeg-2 files will be 3 - 4 times the size of your mpeg-4 files to maintain the same level of quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I assume the old TV shows are on tapes. Record the old tv shows to a good DVDR. This will improve the quality of the video and avoid the need for TmpGenc encoding. I use VideoRedo to edit the ripped DVD and then create menus with TDA3. Much quicker and better results.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would not go bellow 3000kbs and use VBR to encode Mpeg file with TMPGEnc Plus.
    I would say that 3000kbs is too high for a video that comes from TV/VHS with already not optimal quality. I would suggest 1000kbs to 1500kbs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are encoding at VCD resolution, then 1000 - 1500 might be acceptable.
    If you are encoding at half-D1 then you can use 2500 - 3000.
    If you are encoding at full-D1 then you need to keep it above 4000 or you will get artifacts.

You also need to remember that VHS is noisy, and noise eats bitrate. The noisier the source, the higher the bitrate needs to be avoid artifacts.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have DVD Author 2 or 3, you can go into their preferences > Project default settings and tell it to display clipname as chapter names + number so you don't have to manually type in each chapter. Might have to restart program for changes to take effect.

Also, with TMPG 2.5 Plus, you can use their noise and ghost filter to help reduce those VHS noises. Might want to do all that and re-encode to 1500kbps before you author to DVD.
    Quote Quote