VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I use DVD fab 3.1.8.0 platinum

I ripped a movie that lasts for 1 hour and 33 minutes.

I used all the defualt settings except I set "fixed size to 700mb" and it automatically selects a bitrate.

Here are the settings I used.

http://vlturbo.ath.cx/settings4.PNG

I had also selected Pass 2 Encoding for higher quality

I ended up with a 700mb file, and the quality was appaling you could see artefacts everywhere.

Any help on how to get a good quality 700mb file?

Thanks,
    kidcash.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd do it in seperate processes. I'd rip it first intact with no compression. Then I'd use something like virtualdubmod or virtualdubmpeg2 with divx or xvid and use one of the presets. I personally don't like all in one solutions - unless I'm being lazy! It's better to use dedicated programs for each solution.

Besides its not the ripping that was at fault it was the compression method use. (terminology is important in the tech world).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the explanation.

AutoGK does make use of those programs you mentioned however It crashes on the second pass for me.

I think there is some setting that I have set wrong in dvdfab, As other people say its a great program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by kidcash
    Thanks for the explanation.

AutoGK does make use of those programs you mentioned however It crashes on the second pass for me.

I think there is some setting that I have set wrong in dvdfab, As other people say its a great program.
    Why are you forcing the program to transcode down to 700mb? How big are the files you are ripping (not just how long they play)? You may be asking this program to increase compression an awful lot, if you are going from a full multi gb set of dvd .vob files - down to 700mb? This could easily cause pretty terrible video results from most any program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    rich86 is correct in that the compression you're asking for may be too extreme. Since you are most likely putting this on a cdr why not increase the birate and use two discs instead of one? CD'R's are dirt cheap these days and you'd get better quality even if you have to swap discs part way through the movie.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kidcash wrote" I think there is some setting that I have set wrong in dvdfab, As other people say its a great program.

DVDFab is a great proggy IMO!...I just don't use it for DVD to AVI conversion.. AutoGK, FairUseWizard, Super....to name a few I use....and recently avi.NET as well.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the whole movie is 3.7gb, its a DVD Movie.
    700mb is the Usual size of most DVD Rips, and I have seen better quality dvd rips at 700mb.

I am trying Fairuse wizard as we speak. AutoGK did not work for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD writers are under $35 shipped.

Why not install a DVD burner?????

You can actually buy DVD-R or +R media for nearly the same as CD-R media.

That 3.7 GB dvd could've been ripped to an .iso file with DVD Decrypter, and burned - without any other software.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi
    If you use the H264 encoding option in DvdFab you will get very acceptable results even to a 700Mb file.

The resultant file will have the .mp4 file extension. Just change this to .avi and away you go.

I have just converted a 2hr 40min DVD to a 700Mb file using the H264 codec option and the result is excellent. Much better than Xvid in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by classfour
    DVD writers are under $35 shipped.

Why not install a DVD burner?????

You can actually buy DVD-R or +R media for nearly the same as CD-R media.

That 3.7 GB dvd could've been ripped to an .iso file with DVD Decrypter, and burned - without any other software.
    Your right, but that is not what I intend to do, otherwise I would have posted in a different section on the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi
    Forgot to say that using the H264 option set for a single pass, the latest DvdFab 3.1.9.0 and my Intel dual core laptop, it only took 1hr 40min for a DVD movie 2Hr 40Min long. As I said earlier the result was very acceptable.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    mesaboogieman is right. Speaking in general, H264 can do within 700 MB or less
    the same as DivX/XviD must do within 1.3 GB or more.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I have fixed it, Instead of chosing generic.avi.audiocopy I chose generic.avi.mp3 and now the bitrate is 911 for the Video instead of about 600 which it was last time.

I have encoded one Video in H.264 and it looks good, I am going to try now with Xvid. My last video was encoded at 720 x 400 but I had 2 Black bars on my video, and I dont want the bits getting wasted for those 2 black bars, meaning that the actual image has less quality.

Is there any way to get rid of these 2 black bars? maybe set a different resolution?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @ kidcash: maybe I'm wrong, but I do not think
    letterboxing black bars are bitrate-consuming. If you
    really want to get rid of them, I recommend Avisynth
    to crop your video.

\\\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The black bars are still part of the Video file, and quite a lot of it. Proper DVDrips have no black bars.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AUtoGK will take care of the black bars while it encodes.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have read that it removes the black bars, I think using Avisynth.
    The problem is that it crashes.

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-102012.html

Have tried the fixes explained there but no luck.
    Quote Quote