VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to convert a 1080i (1920x1080) exported MOV from Final Cut Pro to a smaller 4:3 format using WinFF (based on ffmpeg).

This *should* be fairly simple, but I can't seem to get it to crop correctly.

So, the dimentions I set for the destination file are, according to my calculations, 428x240 with cropleft and cropright at 54 (for some reason, I can't seem to do odd crop values) for an intented 320x240 4:3 resolution.

The video renders, and it still comes out looking a bit squashed. Not as much as full 16:9 in a 4:3 frame, but enough to be noticable.

So, just for the heck of it, I tried 640x240 with cropleft and cropright at 160. That turned out look look about right. But, it doesn't quite fill the entire screen, causing it to letterbox a little bit.

Why is that, and is that the proper way to do it (if not, what is?). Using the ratios of 16:9 and 4:3 and cropping the difference between width doesn't seem to work right. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think that crop parameters apply to source file, not to destination one. So applying calculations on the source file, crop sides should be set to 240.

Try and see if it is OK.
    Quote Quote