VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought this unit to both import, and export, 8mm and VHS video, to and from Final Cut Pro 4.5 (FCP)

I've imported the video without problem, edited it on a DVNTSC sequence preset, and now want to export it back to VHS. (I set FCP to "uncontrollable device," for the firewire capture to work.)

The settings on the bottom of the ADVC110 (110), are 1,3-6 off and 2 on. I also have switched it from analog in, (which I had set it to capture), to digital in, and the blue light is solid on the front of the 110.

I have a 6pin-6pin firewire connection from the G5 to the 110, with the 110's analog video and audio outs to my VCR, and the VCR's video and audio analog out to my Sony DVCAM camera, to use as a monitor. (I know the VCR to Camera connection is working, because when I play a tape on the VCR, I can see it on my DVCAM's monitor, and when not playing see the VCR's input, blue screen.)

Also, I connected all the analog cables first, then I connected the firewire from the G5 to the 110 last, (so as to not give the 110 any juice, and therefore avoid any hot wiring problems.)
    Then, I opened my rendered FCP project, and playing it, I can't see it on my DVCAM monitor, (oh, of course I have FCP set to output video and audio to firewire as well.
    I can successfully connect my G5 to the DVCAM, and view my project on it's LCD, but only by bypassing the 110, and using a direct 6pin-4pin firewire connection.)

Nonplussed, I've tried the, print to video option, and it gives me a codec error.
    I have tried setting the VCR in motion to record before hitting play in FCP, still nothing.
    I also tried bypassing the VCR, and running the firewire from the G5 to the 110, and then outputting the analog to my DVCAM directly, and still see nothing.

I understand I should be able to not only view, but record digital to analog video out with the 110, through firewire and need some help bad.

Any advice?

I sure do appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Richard
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately I don't have FCP or the Canopus but maybe I can help a little by describing some of my DV export experience.

One option is to get Simplevideoout X from Apple's Developer site here: http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/SimpleVideoOut/index.html

You may be able to simply play your FCP project via this application to the Canopus.

I've been able to export DV video directly from iMovie HD to the DV input on my Pioneer standalone DVD recorder. In order to do this I had to play the movie directly from the timeline rather than use the share (print) to camera settings in iMovie. I also had to tell the Pioneer that it wasn't connected to a camcorder and to accept the DV video without using its camcorder controls.

My point in telling you that is it seems the design to allow print to camera gets in the way of simply exporting the DV video. That's why I'm hoping that Simplevideoout X will sort this out for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't used FCP to do this in months. I do it all the time with Premiere Pro and Vegas on a PC.

The key issue as suggested by Frobozz is to turn off device control so the print function just outputs and doesn't stall waiting for cue dialog from a non-existant camcorder. Playing out in timeline preview mode also works.

The big front button on the ADVC cycles the output from analog to analog bypass to IEEE-1394 to analog.

A second option is to output through your camcorder but you will get 0-100 IRE levels instead of 7.5-100IRE.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I've been going out of my mind trying to figure this out.

I trashed my FCP prefs, and started a new test project to export, and am no longer getting the codec error.

And, I am now able to output from my FCP timeline from the G5's Firewire(FW) into the 110, and out it's three component video outputs, (so they work), into my minijack input on the DVCAM. (As well as a direct FW connection from the G5 to the DVCAM, of course.)

And yes, I do not need to print to tape. The DVCAM's lcd shows my FCP timeline, and to "print," all I have to do is hit record on the DVCAM, and hit play on the timeline, and I would be in business, if that was what I wanted...

Because, I still cannot get exporting my timeline to work with either my VHS or 8mm decks.

As a test, I have also tried connecting the G5 to each of the decks, through the 110, without the DVCAM on the end of the chain, just to see, but that makes no difference.

I think I have mentioned that I can import footage into the G5 from either deck, through the 110 as well.

And yes, I am aware of the analog in, DV out, function of the big button on the front of the 110, and have that set right, for the respective processes.

I also read the link Frobozz mentioned about the "simple video out," software, at apples site, but as I can export video out to the DVCAM, "through the Canopus," as it is recognized, I'm not sure that it applies.

I don't see an option for turning off device control completely, only to choose between the various FW options, as well as the non-controllable option which has worked for importing.

I wouldn't want the grey, "blacks," I'd get with a camera throughput, though it's not an option with my Sony PD-100 anyway.

It's very strange indeed as the VTR to G5 links, only work for capturing, but not exporting, and it can't be the decks inputs, because they work, as I tested them from the other VTR's outputs. As as I said the inputs and outputs on the 110 are all functioning too.

I'm at a loss here... Thanks for trying to help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It turned out to be a line issue.
    While I am toggling the VTR's between Ch. 3/4 fruitlessly, they needed to be on Ch 0
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote