VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got my new TBC (AVT-8710), and I'm getting ready to do my first capture with it. I also finally got the cable to allow me to connect a S-video output to my old Commodore 1702 monitor. Here's the wiring:

JVC HR-S7800U VCR's S-Video out ->
    TBC's S-video in ->
    TBC's S-video out
    Pyro's S-video in ->
    Pyro's S-video out ->
    1702 monitor

JVC HR-S7800U VCR's audio out ->
    Pyro's audio in ->
    Pyro's audio out ->
    stereo to mono rca adapter ->
    1702 monitor

Pyro's firewire out ->
    PC's firewire in

The big question -- when capturing, is the Pyro's s-video output just the passed-through s-video input? Or is the Pyro capturing the video, compressing it to DV, then simultaneously sending it out via firewire and decompressing it to its s-video output as an accurate preview of what was just encoded?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, TBC disappointment #1... I still get 36 or 37 dropped frames whenever the VCR's video output vomits. I was kind of hoping the TBC would just maintain a stiff upper lip and output a perfectly-timed frame of noise & the Pyro would never even realize anything unusual had just happened. It does, however, seem to be helping to eliminate some of the smaller hiccups entirely. Pre-TBC, there were times when I'd just see the video jump or glitch for a moment before seeing the 'dropped frames' counter increment by 36 or 37. Now, it only seems to be doing it in spots where the tape was genuinely mangled & the video output REALLY vomits. But so far, I'm ~10 minutes into the capture, so this might change

Also... will using the JVC VCR's line TBC IN ADDITION to the external TBC help or hurt? From the experiments I did, turning it off didn't seem to help, but it DID cause the VCR to completely lose its ability to output anything besides a blue screen with the word "play" in some of the worst spots. Likewise, the video is jumping a bit vertically. Would disabling the internal TBC and enabling the VCR's stabilizer help things? Or am I better off letting the captured frames jump and quiver a bit with the internal TBC in place, and using something downstream (Avisynth?) to clean up the vertical instability?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by miamicanes
    The big question -- when capturing, is the Pyro's s-video output just the passed-through s-video input? Or is the Pyro capturing the video, compressing it to DV, then simultaneously sending it out via firewire and decompressing it to its s-video output as an accurate preview of what was just encoded?
    Probably the former.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, another interesting/weird development. It appears that a video glitch longer than ~1 second (hmmm... 36 or 37 frames?) derails WinDV. I see the burst of noise happen on the S-video monitor and in the preview window, but the preview window never recovers, and if I let it keep capturing, it captures garbage. However, if I pause and un-pause capture at that point, it resumes capturing just fine. Weird.

Does any 2-way communication take place between Windows and the Pyro when a capture begins? Or is the Pyro ALWAYS trying to capture, and broadcasting what it captures, down the Firewire bus? I'm trying to figure out whether it's the Pyro that's crashing, and the act of pausing and un-pausing WinDV resets it, or whether WinDV itself is what's having the problem...
    Quote Quote