VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    I just got back from my local Staples store (Canada) and they have 3 systems I am interested in - does anyone have an opinion on which one is better?

1. Acer Aspire Desktop
    Intel Pentium D Processor 925
    1 GB DDR SD RAM
    200 GB Hard Drive
    DVD+/_-RW dual-layer drive
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000
    price: $397.00

2. Pavilion Desktop
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+
    1 GB DDR SD RAM
    320 GB Hard Drive
    Super Multi DVD +/-RW RW with LightScribe
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE graphics
    price $447.00

3. Affinity Desktop PC
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4200+
    1 GB DDR-2 SD RAM
    250 GB SATA hard drive
    Super Multi DVD burner
    ATI RADEON x1200 graphics
    AMD/ATI 690V chipset
    price: 397.00

These are the only one I am interested in - I am not interested in anything else right now

Any (expert) opinions are welcome

TIA,
    wiseant
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I would go for number 3. The Pentium D is the cut down, single core version so I would avoid that and all your getting for your extra $50 with number 2 is a bigger hard drive. You could use that extra and put a second drive in number 3. I am slightly biased in that I prefer AMD processors and ATI graphics, so that would swing it for me.

The specs are pretty similar, and some people don't like ATI graphics, I don't like Nvidia. If the price is important, you have a choice between 1 and 3, and there's no contest really. Just make sure you install Windows XP and not Vista to get the best out of whichever you choose.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Richard G - I appreciate your input.

I am familar with Acer and HP - but not Affinity - think I'll go do some searches
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None of the above

By the way the Pentium D 925 is DUAL Core, so it may influence your opinion of the previous poster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    None of the above

By the way the Pentium D 925 is DUAL Core, so it may influence your opinion of the previous poster.
    I can confirm that - my main desktop is a Pentium D920 - the 2.8GHz version. I got the system about a year ago from Gateway. Never had a problem with it and I do abuse it (for software development). I actually got a refurbished one and saved quite a bit.

You may want to consider contacting the manufacturers to see what they have. I simply searched on the Gateway site for 'refurbished'.

The nice thing about the processors in the 3 you list is that they are considered passé and slow and clunky. Well, I personally don't think so. I'm very happy with the speed of my system. You end up paying quite a bit less since the manufacturers are trying to get rid of them because they're not cool anymore.

Don't forget about the choice of OS, too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are open to other machines consider eMachines/Gateway units before they are acquired by Acer. Particularly their Intel processor machines (which usually have Intel built motherboards).

I have concern about Acer support.

HP has Intel based units in the same price range and I would prefer Intel.

Affinity is an assembler I know little about. Before I bought an Affinity unit, I'd consider building my own.

You might search for a deal on a Lenovo unit. There are some to be had here in the states at Staples as well as other big box retailers. Here in the states Lenovo has great support IBM. Call with a question and you get someone who doesn't treat you like an idiot and insist you follow a script, but is actually capable of listening to your question, what you have tried and finding an answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd go with the HP system but I don't know if you're able to get XP instead of VISTA. Most bundled pc's come with VISTA & not with XP. For the price of the HP system the AMD dual core processor is fine. I've seen some bundled systems only using a Intel Core 2 Duo Allendale E2160 processors but they're overpriced compared to AMD Dual core systems. Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback:

I did go and get the Affinity - the box says the parts are asembled in the US - two weeks earlier I bought the Acer Aspire AST180 512 MB RAM 160GB HD SATA-SCSI(!) for $299 - thought that was a decent deal - decent speakers, keyboard, mouse, DVDRW - didn't really like VISTA w/512MB - prefer XP anyway - ran well - returned it - then I saw 3 new choices - just set it up the Affinity (2yr ltd warranty) tonite - setup Services to get rid of all that then foobar8.3 and MPlayer and the built-in software has nice audio management - so I'm thinking $399 seems pretty OK?
    I Want to run ffdshow, Avisynth, AvsP, ffmeg, WinFF, VDubMPEG, GUIMencoder - DVDAuthorGUI, Muxman, (maybe CCE, MainConcept, HCenc), and EAC, Audiograbber, Aften, MPlayerC, flac, faac, faad, maybe lame . . .

Now, will dual-core help these apps?

Don't suppose anyone knows which of those apps can utilize dual-core and/or 64-bit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S.
    oldandinthe way - I was in a hurry and just had to get a new box today - but yes Intel, HP, eMachines are household names - I don't know much about Acer but then seem OK to me - and I have heard of Lenovo before - do they also make external HD?

JohnnyMalaria
    "You end up paying quite a bit less since the manufacturers are trying to get rid of them because they're not cool anymore."

yo, kinda looks that way
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's nothing to recommend here - the Pentium D is old and runs hot, and the AMD X2s are outgunned by similar priced Core2Duos.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want info on dual cores, its been done here ..

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic336144.html?highlight=dual%20core
    Quote Quote  
  11. What are you going to do with it? Quad cores should be here just about any day now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    What are you going to do with it? Quad cores should be here just about any day now.

Sell it on Ebay
    Quote Quote  
  13. number 2?
    Quote Quote