VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm looking for a way to capture my DV files from my DV camera direct to DVD but without having the capture program burn the DVD with .VOB files. I just want to transfer the DV files directly to my DVD burner without creating menus, etc.

Is this possible?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you care if it plays on a DVD player?

If not just copy the file. You can get about 20min of DV format on a DVDR layer.

Normally this would be a two set process.
    1. transfer 20min at a time to DV-AVI files
    2. copy file to DVDR

A real time transfer would require buffering ~30Mb/s DV stream for recording to a 24x DVDR write which is beyond capability of normal home burners and media. It could be done in theory with a HD/BD DVD drive. For example, a BD drive has a maximum 36 Mb/s transfer rate.

* Sony's pro XDCAM format records DV or HD MPeg2 to Blu Ray media in real time inside the camcorder.

In theory this could be done on a PC with a Blu Ray writer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our DV section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you use firewire to your computer and a program like windv to capture then the files on your computer will be DVavi just like the tape. the problem you may run into is that they are 13GB per hour files. you can copy the DVavi files up to the dvdr size onto a blank, as data without any change.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the feedback...and so soon. I don't need to watch them on a DVD. I'd like to archive the source video files for safe keeping but I don't want to:

1) Capture the DV to PC
    2) Burn the DV file to DVD

I'd like to eliminate one of the steps and record directly to the DVD. I thought I had this licked by trying a program from Roxio called 'Plug and Burn' but that converts the source files to MPEG .VOB files. That's not what I want because, obviously, it's compressing the source DV files.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coisty1856
    Thanks for the feedback...and so soon. I don't need to watch them on a DVD. I'd like to archive the source video files for safe keeping but I don't want to:

1) Capture the DV to PC
    2) Burn the DV file to DVD

I'd like to eliminate one of the steps and record directly to the DVD. I thought I had this licked by trying a program from Roxio called 'Plug and Burn' but that converts the source files to MPEG .VOB files. That's not what I want because, obviously, it's compressing the source DV files.

Thanks again.
    See solution outlined above recording to a BluRay writer. Otherwise you are stuck with a two step process. First a 1x speed transfer to a DV-AVI file then a ~half speed DVDR burn at 12x-16x twenty minutes at a time.

PS: A single layer BD disc (25GB) would hold just under two hours of DV format.
    Quote Quote