VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have two videos I would like to use in the VideoRedo editor. BOth of these videos though need convert to a high quality mpeg. Can anyone recommend the settings for the SUPER program to conver these?

The first one is an avi file:

General #0
    Complete name : H:\bps01e09.avi
    File size : 203 MiB
    Format : Audio Video Interleave
    Overal BitRate : 946 Kbps
    PlayTime : 29mn 57s
    Writing application : MEncoder 1.0rc1-3.4.2

Video #0
    Codec : WMV2
    Info : Windows Media Video 8
    Bit rate : 803 Kbps
    Width : 640
    Height : 480
    Aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 29.97 fps
    (Pixel*Frame) : 0.087

Audio #0
    Codec : MPEG1/2 L3
    Info : MPEG1 or 2 Audio Layer 3
    Bit rate : 130 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 32 KHz

The second one is already an mpeg file (SVCD) but for some reason when I converted it, its long height wise, and skinny width wise as you can see. Are all SVCD's suppossed to look this way? How can I make it so its like a normal fullscreen video??

General #0
    Complete name : H:\bps01e18.mpg
    File size : 337 MiB
    Format : MPEG-2 multiplexer
    Overal BitRate : 2323 Kbps
    PlayTime : 20mn 18s

Video #0
    Codec : MPEG-2 Video
    Bit rate : 2273 Kbps
    Bit rate mode : VBR
    Width : 480
    Height : 576
    Aspect ratio : 4/3
    Frame rate : 25 fps
    (Pixel*Frame) : 0.329
    Delay : 200
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, SUPER is not a high quality encoder.
    Second, neither of your video sources are high quality, so no matter what you do, you can't end up with high quality.
    PAL SVCD has a resolution of 480x576, yes, that's correct. Played back properly, it should be resized to 4:3 or 16:9 AR.
    If you could state your ultimate goal for this (I'm sure "to use in the VideoRedo editor" isn't the final destination?) maybe we can help you more.
    As for the wmv, I'd try to load it in WMM or VirtualDub, then save it out as DV AVI. Then encode the DV AVI into mpg using let's say HCEnc or other high quality mpg encoder.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need high quality mpeg for those files - they aren't high quality to begin with.

For the first one, convert to NTSC DVD (Full-d1 - 720 x 480) @ 29.97 fps at around 6000 kbps. You could go higher, but the quality won't improve.

For the second one, a proper player would adjust the image to look correct. I am assuming you are using Windows Media Player, which struggles with PAR in mpeg files.

Note : the first is NTSC, the second is PAL. If you are hoping to join them then one of them will have to have the framerate changed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Thanks for the replies. Here are my goals:

1. I just need them in mpeg format so I can edit them with VideoReDo. It's the only editor I am comfortable with. My main goal here was to not lose any quality. Sorry for the confusion. I didnt want to lose quality in the conversion!

2. How can I make windows player to play the SVCD correctly? What better video players exist out there for this if it can not?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the way I use SUPER to convert videos.. it is free and seems easy with the GUI.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, I really can't believe you just want to edit them? You're absolutely positive you are not going to do anything with them once you've edited them?
    What better video players exist out there
    The question is rather "what worse..."? For mpg playback, I'd recommend some DVD player like PowerDVD. MediaPlayer Classic, VLC are also good multi purpose video players.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am just removing commercials.. thats all..

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're not goint to author as DVD or anything like that? Just play them on your computer?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yep thats all.. just play them on the computer!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then at least you don't have to worry about frame rates. And the SVCD mpg is fine as is (just go ahaead and edit).
    As for the wmv - I'd still o the route over DV and a real mpg encoder. But if you can't let SUPER go - Use the same resolution as the WMV, and a high bitrate - like 5-6000 kbps. That'd retain the quality as much as possible (with SUPER). But take a look at this thread
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic312523.html
    and maybe I can make you change your mind.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there some beginner guide somewhere that I can read and understand how to convert videos form one format to another? I want to realize how to convert say an AVI to an mpg and set the variables like bitrate etc right so I dont lose any quality, but also so I dont increase file size anymore than needed.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look to the left - Convert. There, you can select to and from formats, and get a listing over guides written for that kind of conversion.
    But: Generally speaking, each conversion will decrease the quality (unless you convert to a lossless format, which means huge file sizes).
    Quote Quote