VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, this is a problem that's been driving me crazy for ages and I'm sure it's a fairly common problem.

When I capture realtime video I can get good results if I playback the mpeg directly, but as soon as I do an operation that involves re-encoding then the audio often gets out of sync. It's not like a constant delay or advance either, it usually starts out in sync and then progressively gets worse as the movie continues. Also it's not just one particular piece of editing or authoring or encoding software that causes this problem, it happens with absolutely every piece of software that I've every tried (DVDx, Virtual Dub, Power Producer, Sonic MyDVD, Ulead Movie Factory just to name a few, tried them all and never found a solution)

This used to plague my analog captures but now it's also happening to some extent on my digital TV captures. From what I can gather it's caused by some frames being corrupt or incomplete, which kind of makes sense when you consider the difficulties of real-time capture. But what I don't understand is why the audio sync stays perfect in the original captured file and only stuffs up when I attempt to re-encode or edit it. Surely if the file can be played properly it could in theory be decoded and re-encoded properly.

So what’s the story here. Does anyone know of any software that can fix these errors in an mpeg (or ts) file and produce a resulting file that not only plays correctly but which can also be re-encoded or edited without introducing audio sync errors.

I’d really be glad to know if there’s any solution to this issues, it’s driving me nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use the quickstream fix in Videoredo and then save as a new mpg and then convert.

You can also use projectx or pvastrumento.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic272196.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Many thanks for the links Baldrick. I tried pvastrumento first because it's freeware and a small download. Good news, it's only very simple but it did the job nicely .

I think I'll also take a look at the Videoredo demo version as it seems that it might be a very useful piece of software as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could someone please explain how to use pvastrumento? I have the same problem, a video recorded with wm capture. It's an mpg, it plays fine in vlc but whenever I try to convert it to avi the audio is totally out of sync.
    I tried the quick fix of Videoredo, it chopped too many frames so now the audio is a bit less out of sync but also very skippy.
    Quote Quote