VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone tried these? Unfortunately they are DVD-R. This is the only US company I've seen that carries them:
    http://www.burnsmart.com/ty-8x-iwhub-dl-dvd-r.html $314US per 100 in a cake box. But talking to them, they said they can sell 10 discs for $39.99US packaged in paper sleeves.

I'm wondering if TY may make DVD+R discs in the future. Or are they having some other company make these discs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. thats $3.14 each !

Look at these guys

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-plus-r-dual-double-layer-section.html

I;d stay away from Memorex, thats the only advice I can give, but Verbatim always works well for me in LG burners using IMGBURN, but most advice is stick to DVD+R DL, not -R
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. I only use Verbatim DL+DVDs. I'm just curious about TY going into the DL business and why they are making DL-DVDs instead of DL+DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD-R format (including DL) is far more popular in TY's home country of Japan and they support CPRM in standalones for recording off digital satellite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    victoriabears:

Out of curiosity. . . .why do you prefer +R instead -R. I understand that -Rs have a higher compatibility percentage with most standalone DVD players.

Montgal55
    Quote Quote  
  6. -R DL discs are notoriously incomptable and this forum always talks about +R DL, now if we are talking single layer (4.7GB), then most modern players do not seem to care which format, although I always book type my +R to dvd-rom to ensure maximum compatability, although many dvd burners do not support book typing, but LG burners do , thats why I use them
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Remember, Taiyo Yuden is a risk adverse Japanese company. I would argue that as such they have always looked askance at +R discs. Their Watershield line of discs only comes in DVD-R and CD-R. No DVD+R. DVD-R DL discs are expensive anyway because they are much harder to manufacturer than DVD+R DL. Getting DVD-R DL to work at all was a bit of a kludge in my opinion. It and DVD-RW kind of had to be force fitted on top of the original DVD-R spec. And note that DVD-R DL discs are somewhat less compatible with DVD players than DVD+R DL. You'll see this problem mostly on older players.

These TY discs are not new. They've been available in Europe for several years now at that horrible price you were quoted.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by montgal View Post
    victoriabears:

Out of curiosity. . . .why do you prefer +R instead -R. I understand that -Rs have a higher compatibility percentage with most standalone DVD players.

Montgal55
    That is more of an old wives tale for single layer dvdr's, not DL dvdr's.

And +R's can have the booktype set to DVD-ROM where as -R's can't.

And also if i recall correctly, -R DL record differently than +R DL.
    +R DL's are (OTP) Opposite track path, where i believe -R DL's are (PTP) Parallel track path and -R's require the same amount of info on both disc's so you can not set a LB where you want in video dvd's.
    They were just not designed for video dvd's.

Opposite Track Path (OTP) is a term used in optical DVD technology, allowing fast switching from layer 0 to layer 1.
    A dual-layer DVD with Opposite Track Path means that layer 0 is written in a spiral track starting at the inside of the disc, whereas the layer 1 spiral starts at the outside of the disc. Both tracks are written so that the DVD player will rotate the disc in the same direction. When reading the disc sequentially (as is done during DVD video playback), OTP enables the player to switch from layer 0 to layer 1 without a seek across the entire disc.
    DVD-R DL has compatibility issues with legacy DVD-ROM drives known as pickup head overrun. To avoid this issue, the two layers of the disc need to be equally recorded. But this is a contradiction with the sequential nature of the DVD recording. Thus DVD Forum under Pioneer's lead developed a technology known as Layer Jump Recording (LJR), which incrementally record smaller sections of each layer to maintain compatibility with DVD-ROM drives.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    although I always book type my +R to dvd-rom to ensure maximum compatability, although many dvd burners do not support book typing, but LG burners do , thats why I use them
    Yep, i have seen players that would not play +R or -R but would play +R with the booktype changed to DVD-ROM on +R's.
    You can't do that on a -R, your stuck with what you have.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=jman98;1960362] "You'll see this problem mostly on older players."

Strange thing. I am having exactly the opposite problem. I have a slew of dvd+R and dvd+R dl that I cannot use. They will not play on an older or newer dvd player, if i've made the disc using the computer. I'm not sure about what would happen if I were to use a stand alone dvr, but i think it's the same.

I've been dreading the day when I could no longer find dvd-r dl and that day has come because i can no longer make discs for either of my mother's dvd players.

Open to suggestions that do not involve buying two new DVRs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You are saying that DVD + discs made on your Mac computer won't play back on two different set top DVD players, but DVD - disks work?

When you mention 'DVRs', do you mean those two set top players or do you mean your Macs DVD burner?

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I burn discs all the time. But in order for them to play dvr players, they have to be DVD-R's. Even my girlfriend's player won't play them, and it's built in to her 48" flat screen hanging on her wall.

I find the only discs that are playable in all devices are DVD-R's. DVD+R's don't seem to work in all devices. But -Rs are more difficult to find (and I can't find DLs anywhere now), and can cost more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    No, not accurate.
    DVD-R is more compatible than DVD+R (regardless of booktype).
    But only marginally, and of less concern as time goes by.

Disc quality is really more important.
    Buy only the best quality blank discs, not cheap junk or gold media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    No, not accurate.
    DVD-R is more compatible than DVD+R (regardless of booktype).
    But only marginally, and of less concern as time goes by.

Disc quality is really more important.
    Buy only the best quality blank discs, not cheap junk or gold media.
    Are you serious
    A year old post.....

And it's still accurate, when you can have a player that WILL NOT play either -R or +R, yet it will play a +R with the booktype changed to DVD-ROM, well, it's kind of self explanatory.....

And yes, it is less of a concern as time goes by, such as smallpox, but it still exist's...
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My mistake. Didn't read the quote. Sorry. Anyway, I'm discussing the problem I've been having (experiencing) for the past couple of years now. I'm simply saying, "this is what's happening. Can someone please help?" Sorry, LS, about the previous version of this post. Any ideas from anyone would be helpful. Thx
    Last edited by DMiami; 18th May 2011 at 16:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

And it's still accurate, when you can have a player that WILL NOT play either -R or +R, yet it will play a +R with the booktype changed to DVD-ROM, well, it's kind of self explanatory.....

If it were that easy.....
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck - I gotta go with lordsmurf on this one. While I have no doubt that a few weird players exist that will only play DVD+R booktyped discs and not play DVD-R or non-booktyped DVD+R, I do not think such players are common.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=DMiami;2079490]
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    "You'll see this problem mostly on older players."

Strange thing. I am having exactly the opposite problem. I have a slew of dvd+R and dvd+R dl that I cannot use. They will not play on an older or newer dvd player, if i've made the disc using the computer. I'm not sure about what would happen if I were to use a stand alone dvr, but i think it's the same.

I've been dreading the day when I could no longer find dvd-r dl and that day has come because i can no longer make discs for either of my mother's dvd players.

Open to suggestions that do not involve buying two new DVRs.
    Try burning the DVD+R using a diff burner. My desktop burned old Verbatim DVD+R playable fine, but burns newer Verbatim DVD+R that won't play on old DVD player. My ext Lite-On did it fine though. Firmware update on desktop's burner didn't fix the prob.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is what i found at meritline.com JVC / Taiyo Yuden (VD-R85HGS10) DL DVD-R 8X Dual Layer (DL) Photo Grade, Gold Lacquer, Branded Double Layer Blank DVDR Media Discs 8.5GB in 10 Spindle. 10 Pack SKU: 102-760-010Sale: $13.99 ($1.40 Each)
    rima.com used to carry them.
    i had good results using them,here is some info hope it is of some use

Manufacturer ID: TYG11
    Recording Management Area Information:
    HL-DT-ST K5989AK5300L103 BDDVDRW GGC-H20L
    Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L0):
    Disc ID: 0-00
    Book Type: DVD-R
    Part Version: 15
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 2
    Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
    Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,365,839
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,289,503
    Physical Format Information (Last Recorded - L1):
    Disc ID: 0-00
    Book Type: DVD-R
    Part Version: 15
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 2
    Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
    Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,365,839
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,289,503
    Layer Information:
    Layer 0 Sectors: 2,092,896 (52.7%)
    Layer 1 Sectors: 1,878,128 (47.3%)

They work fine on:
    sony DVP-NC85H
    sony DVP-NC80v
    sony PS3
    toshiba HD-A2
    will not work on:
    pioneer DVR 220
    disc was burnt using ImgBurn in build mode or iso mode(iso build using build mode)
    Last edited by raymond_barnes; 31st May 2011 at 11:35. Reason: add info
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by montgal View Post
    victoriabears:

Montgal55

And also if i recall correctly, -R DL record differently than +R DL.
    +R DL's are (OTP) Opposite track path, where i believe -R DL's are (PTP) Parallel track path and -R's require the same amount of info on both disc's so you can not set a LB where you want in video dvd's.
    They were just not designed for video dvd's.

Opposite Track Path (OTP) is a term used in optical DVD technology, allowing fast switching from layer 0 to layer 1.
    A dual-layer DVD with Opposite Track Path means that layer 0 is written in a spiral track starting at the inside of the disc, whereas the layer 1 spiral starts at the outside of the disc. Both tracks are written so that the DVD player will rotate the disc in the same direction. When reading the disc sequentially (as is done during DVD video playback), OTP enables the player to switch from layer 0 to layer 1 without a seek across the entire disc.
    DVD-R DL has compatibility issues with legacy DVD-ROM drives known as pickup head overrun. To avoid this issue, the two layers of the disc need to be equally recorded. But this is a contradiction with the sequential nature of the DVD recording. Thus DVD Forum under Pioneer's lead developed a technology known as Layer Jump Recording (LJR), which incrementally record smaller sections of each layer to maintain compatibility with DVD-ROM drives.
    I have DVD-R DL discs and they use Opposite Track Path, not Parallel track path.
    The booktype is "DVD-R"

The only difference with DVD-R DL is that it has the layer break at a fixed position.

I prefer DVD-R DL over DVD+R DL and here is why:

Our DVD RECORDER (MWR10d6) plays dvd-r dl no problem at all even though it does not officially support DVD-R DL.
    DVD Discs supported officially for playback:
    DVD-Video
    DVD-R
    DVD-RW
    DVD+R
    DVD+R DL*
    DVD+RW
    DVD Discs supported for recording:
    DVD-R
    DVD-RW
    DVD+RW
    DVD+R

DVD-R DL is recognized as "DVD-R" when played on this unit.
    *is recognized as "DVD-VIDEO" when played on this unit.
    I noticed that DVD-R DL seem to work better than DVD+R DL in this unit.
    sometimes it fails to load up a DVD+R DL, IT NEVER happens with DVD-R DL.
    Last edited by abcello; 17th Oct 2012 at 21:02.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    abcello - Generally speaking we'd really prefer that you just leave old threads alone rather than grave rob them and add to them.

OK, we get that you have some kind of weird DVD recorder that works better with DVD-R DL than DVD+R DL. Fine. But DVD-R DL discs are expensive. They are less compatible with older DVD players than DVD+R DL discs because what the DVD Forum had to do to get dual layer to work in DVD-R discs is a little weird. The vast majority of users are still advised to ONLY use Verbatim DVD+R DL discs if they must use DL media. Verbatim's DVD+R DL discs are reliable. Other manufacturers' DVD+R DL discs are NOT reliable. And if you must use DVD-R DL because you have some weird player/recorder issue where your device only likes DVD-R DL discs and not +R DL discs, then use either Taiyo Yuden (if you can even find them) or Verbatim DVD-R DL. Believe me when I say that your experience is not typical at all. Finally, note that Taiyo Yuden does not make DVD+R DL media and while they do make DVD-R DL discs, they are very difficult and costly to buy outside of Japan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ....

A word of advice to those who, like me, are not used to handling dual-layer discs.

(1) Be sure you have equipment that will properly read, record and finalize such discs.

(2) If you do have such equipment, invest in as few blank discs as possible at the start, then do trial
    burnings until you have successfully mastered the making of such discs. This includes the successful
    playing of any finalized disc on as many different drives and players as possible

(3) Once steps (1) and (2) are satisfied, you can go from there!

BTW -- I don't do Dual-Layer because I ran into various issues with it, and have chosen to stick
    with single-layer. Besides that, I have software (courtesy of Tips from VideoHelp) that allows me
    plenty of single-layer alternatives to dual-layer.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video View Post
    Greetings ....

A word of advice to those who, like me, are not used to handling dual-layer discs.

(1) Be sure you have equipment that will properly read, record and finalize such discs.

(2) If you do have such equipment, invest in as few blank discs as possible at the start, then do trial
    burnings until you have successfully mastered the making of such discs. This includes the successful
    playing of any finalized disc on as many different drives and players as possible

(3) Once steps (1) and (2) are satisfied, you can go from there!

BTW -- I don't do Dual-Layer because I ran into various issues with it, and have chosen to stick
    with single-layer. Besides that, I have software (courtesy of Tips from VideoHelp) that allows me
    plenty of single-layer alternatives to dual-layer.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    And one more thing I like to is if you are going to use double layer dvd media is, try to get Verbatim dvd r dl that is made in Singapore.

I bought these, and they were made in Singapore: Verbatim 8x dvd-r dl http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DVD-R-8-5Gb-Pack-43596/dp/B000KFTL4G/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=ABDBKYD37BEVP

Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R DL are also good quality discs
    search for "J-DMR85WPP-SK8"
    They are sold in Europe and Australia.

I have Ridata 4x DVD-R DL and they burn ok with Sony Optiarc AD-7280s at 2x speed.

We one had a spindle (back in 2008) of Memorex DVD+R DL to burn with Sony DRU 810A and neither of them burn past the 1st Layer. As soon as we tried Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL media, they worked.

Double layer dvds made in India are junk.
    Last edited by abcello; 22nd Oct 2012 at 20:27.
    Quote Quote