VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a problem with my internet connection. My brother has a usb connection wireless for his xbox. Whenever i download something his xbox connection disconnections on him. I even changed the wireless channel on the router to see if that helps but it don't. Could this my isp be having problems with the speed or does his xbox has prblems?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I assume you are using a router in your home to share the internet connection. Is the xbox actually losing network connetivity or is he just getting disconnected from a game server? If I had to guess, he is only getting disconnected from a server. Which is likely the result of his response time increasing as you use up the bandwidth to download.

What type of connection are you using? What speed?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See if he plays xbox live without me downloading. His connection is fine but if i start say like a 90mb file during his xbox live it disconnects him. I talked to my isp. They said the xbox live is taking tons of bandwith. How could that be? It didnt do that last week. I have a linksys wireless router. Could it be my router itself having issues? Im using wireless and the dsl connection speed is 3mbs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course your router COULD be having issues. It is also more likely to have issues as the traffic increases.

The router could be retrying and compensating for interference or a lousy wireless connection and when you get online it just can't keep up.

It could be the router placement, interference from cordless phone or any of several dozen other devices. Also a neighbor's router on the came channel could cause the problem.

Try relocating the router. If possible try a higher range antenna. get rid of any 2.4mhz cordless phones. Sniff for other routers on the same channel. Turn on encryption in case someone is eating some of your bandwidth by piggybacking. You can spend weeks looking for a solution.

WiFi is great when it works, but it really is crummy technology and when it doesn't its a bear to troubleshoot.

Microsoft and Google are looking to the FCC to allocate some additional bandwidth for computer communications. Let's hope they win.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lets say someone is taking our bandwith. Wont a ip show up in the ip address that i dont know. I can't use security because my other brothers wireless card dont support any security its old. I do share the dsl phone plug with my tivo because the one in my room dont wok. But i never seen an issue with that. So maybe someone is taking our bandwith if someone found out maybe our ip. Who knows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Log into your router, there should be a user list. It will show all of the connected users by IP and mac address.

To rule out the wireless completely, just connect the xbox via cable instead of wireless. If the problem still occurs, then you are not having a wireless issue.

You could also just ping the xbox before and during the "disconnected issue". If it is still pingable, then it is still connected to the router.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote