VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there DVD authoring gurus!

I need your wise advice and guidance.

I'm authoring a DVD from a video outputted from After Effects in 16/9 NTSC D1 Widescreen 720x486 Progressive mode to .mov using Animation encoding. I author the DVD in Encore transcoded in MPEG Quality 5 Progressive VBR 2 Pass.

The problem I have is when I place the movie in the DVD player, it automatically plays at a scaled state. To get the movie to appear in it's correct aspect, i have to hit the Zoom button on the DVD player.

This problem only occurs on select video players, for instance it plays fine on my player that is fairly recent, but the scaling issue occurs on my client's player which was purchased a few years ago.

Is there a way to prevent the video from starting in the wrong scale on the DVD player? Am I doing something wrong?

Your speedy advice comes highly appreciated!
    Happy authoring!

Pk20
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean - scaled ?

It is a 16:9 video. When you authored in Encore, did you author it as a 16:9 disc ?

When it plays back, does it play back vertically stretched ?

When authoring for 16:9, you must encode the video as 16:9 (a setting in the encoder) and then author the disc as 16:9.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the swift response gunslinger.

By scaled i literally mean magnified. The picture is not distorted, simply proportionally scaled out cropping out content on the outer part of the movie.

Yes, The clip is authored and transcoded as a 16:9 disc.

Any other suggestions?
    Pk20
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The it sounds like the player is set up for Pan and Scan by default. Check the player settings. If the TV is a 4:3 TV then the player should be set to 4:3 Letterbox. If it is a 16:9 TV then the output should be set to 16:9 or Widescreen.

I would also check that the disc is correctly tagged as 16:9 (sorry, but as much as I love photoshop and like After Effects, I think Encore is a pretty piss poor effort on Adobe's part and I don't trust it). PGCEdit and g-spot can confirm this.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The it sounds like the player is set up for Pan and Scan by default.
    Or he authored it as 16:9 Wide/Pan&Scan, rather than as 16:9 Wide/Letterbox. PGCEdit can tell him in the Video Attributes screen. Or he has a zoom turned on either in the player or the TV set.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestions guys! I'll look into it and get back to you all.
    Quote Quote