VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I hope someone can help. I've asked this elsewhere, and I am still frustrated.

I have a 1080i HDV camcorder, and a Panasonic AE900 projector. Since Bluray is prohibitive for now, I would like to be able to offload my video footage, store on a hard drive, and play it through HDMI from my MacBook Pro to the projector. Here are the ways I could do that:

1. Set the resolution sent to the projector to 1280x720 (its native res) and play the files in Quicktime.
    PROBLEM: the files are 60i, so there is combing.

2. Same thing, but use the "single field" option in Quicktime.
    PROBLEM: Quicktime sucks at deinterlacing, so this produces a 30p image that looks stuttery, unlike the smooth 60i when played directly from the camera.

3. Use VLC to play the files, with the "Bob" deinterlacing set.
    PROBLEM: While the motion is much more similar to how it looks when played from the camera directly (because it is 60p now) it stutters when loading a new clip, and the motion jitters occasionally. Also, the controls are awkward.

4. Play directly from the camera, sending the projector a 1080i signal, and letting it deinterlace. The deinterlacer in the projector is excellent, and apparently works on the "bob" principal; smooth, realistic, 60p-looking motion.
    PROBLEM: No random access of footage, wears out tapes, rewinding, etc.

5. Wait for Bluray.
    PROBLEM: Well.......

6. Set the resolution sent to the projector to 1080i, play the files natively without deinterlacing, letting the PJ do it.
    PROBLEM: I don't know how to do this.

That's the catch. I have played around forever with SwitchRes and DisplayConfig, and I can't seem to get it to display an interlaced signal that behaves like it is interlaced. I can set the res to 1920x1080 "interlaced", but playing the files through QT or anything else still shows combing. Help! What should I do?

Jeremy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you may be ahead of the curve on what your trying to do.

However, if you add a third piece to the output puzzle,
    say this box from Matrox, you can achieve what you want. ($995.00)

however, is it worth the cost? Compared to say buying a PS 3? ($499.00)

if cost is a factor, your option #4 looks really good right now....
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terryj
    you may be ahead of the curve on what your trying to do.
    Ha, that made me chuckle.

I see what you are saying. It is frustrating though that the "digital hub" model of electronics has this big gaping hole in it named "interlaced video". I mean, here I have all this digital video and I just want to play it on my nice new computer.

What I wonder is what the AppleTV does; does it display interlaced content at all, or just up to 720p? Is interlacing fundamentally harder for graphics hardware to display? I can't tell really whether the computer is putting out a truly interlaced image, even when the PJ reports that it is. It just doesn't seem to behave that way.

Jeremy
    Quote Quote