+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Download and unzip

vidbenchmark.zip

Run the benchmark.bat file. It'll create a test video for transcoding. The transcoding process is measured. BTW, the video file it creates isn't playable - only a benchmarking test. Here's the result on a
    junky 2.4Ghz P4

Dual Core Opteron 275 execution time: 16.822 secs
    Thanks, that's' really helpful
    I ran my P4 1.6 overclocked to 2159 Ghz and came up with 33 seconds the first time.
    An hour later I ran 4 more and cleaned up between runs and got:

28.498 s
    28.127 s
    28.739 s
    29.726 s

Pretty consistent and compares well to your
    junky 2.4Ghz P4

Now I need to see how the Opteron 275 2.2Ghz compares to the E4300 1.8Ghz or the E4400 2.0Ghz and that will give me a pretty good idea of what to expect with those cpu's running at stock speeds.

The link provided by jagabo should come in handy for this.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I get about 16.959 sec with my HTPC, 5200+ Athlon X2 AM2 OC'd to 3Ghz. My HP laptop with a AMD 1500+ 1.33Ghz CPU took 86.112 secs. When I reboot in a while, I'll see what difference the HTPC does with no OC.

Thanks, Soopafresh, that's a handy little program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. The script will provide us with very rough values as to transcoding speed of different procs. Hardly scientific, but good enuff fer us city folks

Dual Xeon 2.8 Proc : 22 secs
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, this thread has got me curious. i just built a core 2 duo E6600, 4 gig ram, vista ultimate, ati 2600xt video card, win tv 150 cap card, gigabyte MOBO, 2 250 gig WD HD's in RAID 0, three dvd burners, two 500 gig storage drives.....and my time was 13.604 secs---see screen shot---is this good??? can it be better???

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no direct comparison between my system and the E4400 but comparing a E4400 to a P4 3Ghz shows that the E4400 is almost twice as fast.

http://www.vertexmonkey.com/benchmark_scene_203_modoLogoMany.php

The Opteron 275 is about 30 to 35% faster than the E4400 on 2 tests.

This site shows similar differences using the same os.

http://www.eofw.org/bench/

The numbers don't quite match up for video compression as shown by the script benchmark here.

Suppose it's true that the Opteron 275 is 30% faster than the E4400 then that would mean that the Core2 duo E4400 would take about 22 seconds on this test. But the E4400 shows to be twice as fast as a P4 3Ghz so I'd expect the P4 to take over 40 seconds to complete yet my P4 1.6 (clocked at 2159Ghz) comes in around 29 seconds. According to those number my P4 1.6 should take 50 to 70 seconds. So that part doesn't make sense.

This would mean that running the Core 2 E4400 at stock [s:ddb6d8033a]1.8Ghz[/s:ddb6d8033a]it 2.0Ghz would be about 30 to 35% faster than my oc'd P4. All things considered running a 3.2Ghz P4 (30% more Ghz) and encoding xvid/divx should achieve the same numbers as the E4400. Yet that seems to go against expectations. The only way the numbers would line up is if the E4400 and a P4 3.2Ghz results were about the same at 30% slower than the Opteron 275 which would mean roughly 22 seconds and my P4 1.6 somewhere between 29 to 33 seconds.

Unfortunately on the site jagabo provided I couldn't find an Opteron 275 to compare with the E4400 for xvid/divx encode.

If anyone has a Intel Core 2 even if its a E2160 or E6x00 can you run the script to see what you get some idea. I'd really like to see the E4400 results but can probably extrapolate from a similar cpu by adjusting for the difference in speed.

Edit:

Good just saw the E6600 after posting. I went to eat before hitting send
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @chesterfield
    Is that stock speed or are you overclocking?
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is a really poor benchmark. I'll tell you what I got on my Core 2 Duo E6300 anyway: anywhere from about 12 to 24 seconds.

The benchmark creates a file full of raw YUV video (UYVY I think), converts it to an uncompressed RGB AVI file, then converts the RGB AVI file to an MSMPEG4 compressed MP4 file. Only the last conversion is timed.

The reported conversion time is very erratic because the two intermediate files are still being to the hard drive (Windows' write behind caching) as the timed step is being run! It's as if you were performing file copies with Explorer while converting. Performance will vary greatly depending on how fast your drives are, how fragmented they are, any other disk activity that might be going on, how much free memory you have, etc.

If you run the benchmark repeatedly, without deleting the intermediate video files, the YUV file is recreated but the second program warns you that the AVI file already exists. If you press ESC it skips the conversion (the next step gets the existing AVI file), if you press ENTER it recreates the AVI file. Runtime of the benchmark varies depending on which of these options you choose and how long you wait before pressing ESC or ENTER (because the prior file is still being written to the drive).

During the last step, the step which is timed, ffmpeg converts the uncompressed RGB AVI file to MPEG 4. Given the size of the AVI file, about 316 MB, people with more than ~512 MB of memory will probably have the AVI file completely cached in memory while the benchmark is being run. People with ~512 MB or less will end up with disk thrashing and get much slower results.

There is something wrong with the AVI file. It doesn't render properly in any program I could find.

There is something wrong with the MP4 file. It doesn't render properly in anything either.

I don't trust a benchmark which cannot generate proper results. If it doesn't generate something verifiable, who knows what problems it may have internally. I suppose we could all get together and run binary comparisons of the output results to verify that each processor generated the same results.

The benchmark uses the MSMEG4 codec. This is a very old, single threaded encoder. It takes no advantage of multiple processors. If you add "-threads 2" to the command line it will abort with an error message saying the selected codec doesn't support multithreading.

If you run just the last step, the timed step, the timing is very repeatable. I get about 12.1 +/- 0.1 seconds. I can run two at the same time and get about 13 seconds each.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my old 32 bit athlon 3200+ averages 30 seconds.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @gll99---no over clocking at all and a ton of programs running in the background...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    If anyone has a Intel Core 2 even if its a E2160 or E6x00 can you run the script to see what you get some idea. I'd really like to see the E4400 results but can probably extrapolate from a similar cpu by adjusting for the difference in speed.
    I tinkered with my E2160 system today and have it overclocked to 2.187ghz at the moment.
    I ran the script and this is what I got:

ptime 1.0 for Win32, Freeware - http://www.pc-tools.net/
    Copyright(C) 2002, Jem Berkes <jberkes@pc-tools.net>

=== ffmpeg -i file.avi -vcodec msmpeg4 -an -s 1280x720 -y output.mp4 ===
    FFmpeg version SVN-r6373, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    FLV VP6 mux version. Patch by Benjamin Larsson, compile by Klaus Post
    configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --enable-avisynth --enable-swscaler --e
    nable-mp3lame --enable-gpl
    libavutil version: 49.0.1
    libavcodec version: 51.16.0
    libavformat version: 50.5.0
    built on Sep 29 2006 19:38:14, gcc: 3.4.5 (mingw special)
    Input #0, avi, from 'file.avi':
    Duration: 00:00:08.8, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 292751 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, bgr24, 720x576, 29.41 fps(r)
    Output #0, mp4, to 'output.mp4':
    Stream #0.0: Video: msmpeg4, yuv420p, 1280x720, q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 29.41 fps(c)

Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    [msmpeg4 @ 00723E30]removing common factors from framerate
    [mp4 @ 0072F4F4]Warning, using MS style video codec tag, the file may be unplaya
    ble!
    frame= 260 q=24.8 Lsize= 33085kB time=8.8 bitrate=30660.2kbits/s
    video:33082kB audio:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.010199%

Execution time: 14.799 s

C:\Documents and Settings
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @budz
    That would make it 2 times faster than my p4 at almost the same cpu speed. I have one stick 512 ddr333 (pc2700) Both my drives are ide 7200 (300, 200) with room to spare. Our cpu's are oc'd almost at the same Ghz. If you're results are normal with the E2160 at this speed then that would mean that a core 2 cpu would have twice the processing speed of a comparably set (Ghz) older single core P4 cpu. That might even improve with the higher E6x00 models because of the cache and different chip-set but it is still what I was hoping to see. Even when I reran mine I deleted the in between yuv, avi and mp4 files so except for the first time my results were very similar at roughly 28.5 to 29 seconds.

chesterfield's E6600 runs at 2.4GHz and he got 13.6 seconds so again that's consistent

The one that falls out of line is jagabo with such a wide variation. My runs have been quite similar to each other. So it's a bit puzzling.

At least there is something to build on here. If someone else gets similar results with a core 2 then, in spite of other possible differences, that will tend to confirm the pattern. If people start getting erratic results then I'm back to square one and I won't know what to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Obviously you should get a Core 2 Duo. Just about every modern video encoder is multithreaded and can take good advantage of two cores. If you can afford a little more you should get a Core 2 Quad (the Q6600 is selling for under US$300 now).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This one is from my Intel Conroe 2.13ghz overclocked to 2.60ghz.

=== ffmpeg -i file.avi -vcodec msmpeg4 -an -s 1280x720 -y output.mp4 ===
    FFmpeg version SVN-r6373, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    FLV VP6 mux version. Patch by Benjamin Larsson, compile by Klaus Post
    configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --enable-avisynth --enable-swscaler --e
    nable-mp3lame --enable-gpl
    libavutil version: 49.0.1
    libavcodec version: 51.16.0
    libavformat version: 50.5.0
    built on Sep 29 2006 19:38:14, gcc: 3.4.5 (mingw special)
    Input #0, avi, from 'file.avi':
    Duration: 00:00:08.8, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 292751 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, bgr24, 720x576, 29.41 fps(r)
    Output #0, mp4, to 'output.mp4':
    Stream #0.0: Video: msmpeg4, yuv420p, 1280x720, q=2-31, 200 kb/s, 29.41 fps(c)

Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    [msmpeg4 @ 00723E30]removing common factors from framerate
    [mp4 @ 0072F4F4]Warning, using MS style video codec tag, the file may be unplaya
    ble!
    frame= 260 q=24.8 Lsize= 33085kB time=8.8 bitrate=30660.2kbits/s
    video:33082kB audio:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.010199%

Execution time: 14.236 s
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @budz what model is that?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I redid the test. I agree, It's 'quick and dirty', but Soopafresh seemed to make that clear up front.

I made sure nothing was running and ran it from my secondary drive. 5 passes overclocked and 5 at stock settings. Delete the output files each time. The overclock was just by raising the FSB from 200 to 230Mhz. No other changes:

OC'd . at.. 3.0Ghz Average time: 12.208 secs

Non-OC at 2.6Ghz Average time: 13.595 secs

So if my math is correct, I got about a 10% increase in speed between Non-OC and OC for about a 15% increase in CPU speed. It's difficult to equate that with real-world encoding, but in only this example, that would mean a one hour encode would speed up by about six minutes. Nothing spectacular.

I'm not planning to do any other benchmarks because the PC 'is what it is' and works just fine. The OC is very stable and my temps are low enough, so I'll leave it in place.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    @budz what model is that?
    Intel Conroe E6400 2.13ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115004
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Obviously you should get a Core 2 Duo. Just about every modern video encoder is multithreaded and can take good advantage of two cores. If you can afford a little more you should get a Core 2 Quad (the Q6600 is selling for under US$300 now).
    Edit: I made a error cuz I was looking at the Conroe E6600 processor at COMPUSA & not the Quad 6600. They do have the Quad 6600 for $279.00 which is still the cheapest price that I've seen. Too bad I'm broke cuz I would buy one!

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40ghz, $279.00
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=344832#pi

gll99 Buy a Intel Core 2 Duo processor that you can afford then you can always upgrade later on should you decide to.
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you're anti Intel, the Athlon 64 X2 6000 (~US$170) is another popular choice these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Budz

When compared to your E2160, the E6400 cpu has a 1066MHz FSB, double the cache and you upped it to 2.6Ghz but got only a modest increase in the test. Based on specs you would have thought the difference would be greater. I suppose there's enough variations in the Benchmark to account for this. Give or take a margin of error, this result still fits in the general pattern of the other core 2.

I'm trying to keep costs down so I don't buy more than I need.

This week it's down to crunch time. Unless one of 3 local sellers shows me otherwise I plan to go with a Asrock mobo. Not great for high overclocking but fine in the zone I plan to OC and I need the other flexibility it offers.

As far as a cpu, I was thinking of the E4400 but I can't ignore the results you got with the E2160. It's not much but is the E4400 worth the extra $20?

If I understood right:

The E2160 is Conroe core while the E4400 is Allendale core. How well do these cores compare. Does it matter?
    The E2160 L2 cache is 1M per core while the E4400 has a 2 MB cache per core
    The E2160 is clocked at 1.8Ghz and the E4400 is rated at 2.0Ghz
    The E2160 has a 9X multiplier and the E4400 has a 10X multiplier
    They are both 800MHz FSB

The frequency difference matters little if you OC them to the same frequency so one difference is the cache. The biggest factor may be the core type and that's why I highlighted it. Any thoughts anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gll99: the E2160 is a Allendale core same as the E4400.

jagabo wrote:
    If you're anti Intel, the Athlon 64 X2 6000 (~US$170) is another popular choice these days.
    I was just admiring that earlier today at Newegg. But I think I've got enough computers right now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The E2160 L2 cache is 1M per core while the E4400 has a 2 MB cache per core

That makes a big difference in the encoding speed, and that's what gives the newer generation of procs an even greater advantage with the recently upgraded 4MB of L2 cache.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by gll99
    My question:

This is not what I am looking to buy but for the sake of comparison: For straight video capture with nothing else running would a E6600 core2 2.4 Ghz machine run faster than a single cpu P4 2.4 Ghz computer. Under a single load would they operate very similarly. (I know it's hard to compare because the single cpu has only a 1MB L2 cache but the Core 2 Duo have two 2MB caches, have a faster fsb and run cooler but other than that how close would it be.)

The answer may affect my decision on which mobo and cpu to buy. I do have other requirements when choosing a system but capture speed is the first one. After my first look through at whats available I've got something in mind but I'd like to hear more about dual vs single processors in the context of video capture and what some of you are using.
    The closest I could find to your question
    E6600 vs P4 520
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2006.html?modelx=33&model1=432&model2=463&chart=177
    E6600 - 5:52min
    P4 520 - 13:55min
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @stiltman
    That's a good comparison even though I'm modifying things a bit it's a ballpark idea.

Things didn't quite go as planned today. The wife had a few ideas for the day and I didn't mind since I wanted to reconfirm a few things before going ahead.

I'm pretty convinced to go with an Intel E4400.

This is a pure guesstimate based on the various raw numbers I've seen here and elsewhere but I expect that running the E4400 at it's default frequency of 2.0Ghz will provide a conservative minimum of 30% increase in divx capture/encoding speed when compared to my old P4 1.6 overclocked to 2159Mhz. Plus the power requirement will drop at least 3 fold. That should be enough to drop the cpu usage far from the 100% when capturing with the resolution and other settings I want.

This processor will easily overclock up to 2800Mhz with stock cooling only so there's a lot of room to compensate for any error in my guesstimate.

I'm still looking at motherboards before locking in to the Asrock.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Just an opinion on my part. Don't buy just enough for todays needs. If you can afford it buy better and have some headroom for the future. Things always change. The better you buy now the longer it will be adequate.

Looking into my Crystal Ball I see a need for more Raw CPU performance inthe future for the newer versions of software. Maybe new versions of Divx/Xvid with better quality output that needs more power to do. Capture, Filter, Edit, Final output. That scenario will take longer the slower the processor.

As an example: right now I travel 5 minutes each way between Home and Work. If I bought a car that can do that but would be uncomfortable for longer trips I would be shortsided.

In the future My job needs for travel could change and I'd have a Leased or still paying for purchase car that isn't suitable. Maybe I'd be moving out west where a car that maxes out at 70 mph is bad or I'd be cramped and no room to stretch on long drives.

Beyond that at some point in time I expect that there will be some software that may need Vista.... Sooner or later.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @TBoneit

I see both sides. When I bought the P4 .6 is was on the lower middle of the road in cost and performance. With my old cpu captures were 352x240 and using the huffyuv or Picvideo codecs to avoid dropped frames. Mpeg4 just wasn't an option unless I used every trick in the book. The P4 1.6 changed all that and I could capture full frame with most codecs except divx where I had to reduce framesize until it hit version 6 which came with a high performance mode. I didn't realise for a long time that it was at the sacrifice of interlacing.

Now another crossroad. Buying too much is a waste since I don't anticipate a major change in my needs all I want is something that will do the job now and at least a couple of years. The cpu would be easy to replace for a further upgrade later on. Even now if I wanted to I could spend about $100 for a P4 (478) 2.4 to 2.8Ghz for my system and it might do the job but my mobo multiplier and bus combination maxes out at 2.4GHz so it probably wouldn't be enough to get the job done. If everything falls into place I might be able to build a E4400 system for under $400 taxes included using my own ide drives and a spare agp video card. The Asrock board has issues, the AGP only accepts lower voltage cards (apparently it's a proprietary (agi) agp, so compatibility with my existing card has to be confirmed, the Pci-E x16 is locked at x4 and it only has sata I controllers although it does have 2 ide controllers for 4 devices.

While it is Quad core ready I'm not counting on that since there are many other features of the board that I would probably change if I was going in that direction.

I called one guy but frankly it was a case of me having read more about the mobo than he did (I won't say "know more" because I don't, it's only what I've read online)

I'm currently looking at other mobo's but although most have a full x16 pci-e many are poor in pci slots. I need 1 for my tv tuner card, 1 for a raid because few have 2 ide connectors and a third for a firewire. Even with 3 pci on a board, that doesn't leave any spare pci if the onboard audio has problems. I checked many combinations and it can get pricey. Some boards have firewire but then drop a pci port. Some boards share physical space between the pci-e and one of the pci slots so you can't have both at the same time (useless). I don't want to chase outside the local area for this stuff so I'm only checking the sites of local resellers. It is a slow process to look at each board and then check it's features and then browse the manufacturer's site followed by searches to find user comments on models that might fit my needs. In any case every other reasonably priced mobo that I've researched except the Asrock would require me to buy a pci_E video and/or a sata drive so I could scavenge very little from my supply of on hand parts.

It's be a little slower than I expected to finalise the motherboard only because I could spend an extra $60 on a cheap pci-e video card and $30 to $40 or more on a mobo to get a true x16 pci slot, perhaps also with firewire on board if I accept an Asus or Gigabyte board that is maxed at core 2 duo and is not Quad core able. So I'd be adding $100+ to the bill but what really do I gain?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by budz
    Obviously you should get a Core 2 Duo. Just about every modern video encoder is multithreaded and can take good advantage of two cores. If you can afford a little more you should get a Core 2 Quad (the Q6600 is selling for under US$300 now).
    Edit: I made a error cuz I was looking at the Conroe E6600 processor at COMPUSA & not the Quad 6600. They do have the Quad 6600 for $279.00 which is still the cheapest price that I've seen. Too bad I'm broke cuz I would buy one!

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=344832#pi

gll99 Buy a Intel Core 2 Duo processor that you can afford then you can always upgrade later on should you decide to.
    I just picked the Q6600 from Compusa. The instaore price was listed at $329.99 AFTER the $50 instant savings.
    I told them to check their website....I got it for $279.99 - 10% as I have a biz account.
    So that comes in cheaper than the E6600
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    Originally Posted by budz

I just picked the Q6600 from Compusa. The instaore price was listed at $329.99 AFTER the $50 instant savings.
    I told them to check their website....I got it for $279.99 - 10% as I have a biz account.
    So that comes in cheaper than the E6600
    Good to hear you got it for $279.00!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With that price $279.99 not counting the Biz discount for a Quad it now makes the E6600 overpriced. Anyone who sees this will feel royally gypped if he pays the full price for the E6600.
    Quote Quote  
  29. The E6600 is OEL'd. Supplanted by the E6750 and such.
    Quote Quote