VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm getting a HDTV w/ 1080p. I am also getting a PS3 and or Xbox 360. If I pop in a regular DVD movie into either with a HDTV, I know I will get a better image than I am used to on my current SD TV and watching a DVD on my PS2.

Let's say that I get a HDTV and a PS3 and or Xbox 360, if I pop in a DVD would I be able to discern a difference between that and watching a DVD on a really good DVD player?

Basically, I'm trying to ask is it worth it or not to get a regular DVD (I feel funny saying regular DVD player, because I've been watching DVDs on my PS2 for years ) player.

Money isn't much of an issue, so is it worth it to have a HDTV and a PS3 and or Xbox 360 and a really good DVD player, or is that a waste of money.

I say "really good DVD player", but honestly I don't really know what that is. As I said earlier, I've been using my PS2 for DVDs for years, so I have to plead ignorance on that subject.

If it is advisable to get a "really good DVD player" , then do you have any recommendations? I want the best looking picture, as I watch a lot of DVD movies. I'm not concerned about HD DVD or Blue-ray, just "good ol' DVD".

On a side note, regular good ol' DVD will be around for awhile right? I remember when I'd go to Blockbuster in the days of old, when VHS was prevalent, there would be a very small section of DVDs, much like there is now for HD DVD and Blue-ray. Do you think that in a few years it will be like that too, where everything will be HD DVD or Blue-ray and DVDs will get wiped out? I just don't want to invest in a DVD player and then get screwed, but I know that's unavoidable with technology.

Pardon my rant, I don't know if anyone knows for sure, but I was just thinking . You can ignore the last part of my post if you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the movies on dvd aren't going to look any different on a 1080p tv than they do on a high quality SD tv. the source is still 480. the things that will look better are anything with an HD source such as the ps3 as it's a blu-ray HD player so you will be able to use high def discs if you buy or rent them. you don't say but if you have cable or sat tv you can sign up for digital HD tv through them and get some HD. make sure you get the proper cables and know what you are doing or have everything installed/hooked up for you.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. SD-DVD will still be around for years to come. I can't say about other TVs, but I have a top of the line SDTV and an HDTV, DVDs definitely look better on the HDTV, especially anamorphic DVDs that can take advantage of the higher resolution. Wheather you would be better off with a good upconverting DVD player or just letting the TV do the upconversion depends on how good the TV is at upconversion. I have a Toshiba DVD recorder that does upconversion, my HDTV coupled with a high bit DVD player does a little better job than the DVD recorder does.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are many micro details for DVD player comparison and these can make a large difference on a large display.

Start reading here and then go to the ratings
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/dvd-benchmark-introduction-9-2000.html
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133
    Full List
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

If you want the better models look at Oppo (Oppo Digital - DV-981HD, etc.) or the recent HD/BD players. The PS3 was well down the DVD player ratings list ratings at 61. The XBox360 scored 71. The XBox360 HD player scored 81.
    Quote Quote