VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I ripped a DVD with MacTheRipper and did either a main feature extraction or title set: main feature extraction to eliminate all the pesky advertising on the disc. Sadly, I no longer have the original disc in functioning condition. I wanted to convert this DVD to XviD with D-Vision, but I found that the data will not load after title analysis because the number of total chapters (ie. x/total) is off; instead of 28 total chapters ffmpegx keeps telling me there are only 9.

However, the ripped DVD plays just fine with DVD player and I can skip through each of the 28 chapters that actually *do* exist. Is there any way I can correct the VOB or info file so they read correctly and my DVD can load into one of these programs other than Handbrake? I would like to utilize filters such as sharpen, denoise, etc. so Handbrake is my last choice for this encode, but it's the only program that will actually go ahead with the conversion as is.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use MTR as ONLY for ripping the whole disc, not for extraction... even when I'm going to have the whole disc...because of these problems. I hope you have DVD2OneX. Open the MTR file in this, and do a movie only extraction. Choose Chapters, and display these, making sure that it lists the full 28. Then compare that with using it to do a whole disc extraction (on your MTR file which is movie only extraction) and seeing what chapters are listed. Anyways, get DVD2OneX to save each in turn to hard disk, and see if D-Vision will accept either now.
    If not, then I would open it into MPEGStreamClip (free). It will probably alert you to Time Code breaks, and Click fix. Look at the bottom right hand corner and see what running time it gives - is it the full length of the movie> If not, also go to Edit Menu, and Choose Fix Time Code Breaks at the bottom on the list. then save that file and again, try with D-Vision.[/list]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another thought: use D-Vision Tools, and the join Vobs feature. Save this to harddrive and then try opening that to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  4. terry, the first solution seemed a bit tedious so I opted to for your second suggestion. I used D-Vision to merge the VOBs. Although there were no chapter breaks indicated in the output file, the merged VOB allowed me to use D-Vision to encode the entire film with the desired filters. I don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote