VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey I can't believe it MS actually updated SOLITAIRE!!!!!!

The background and graphics are a bit fresher. Even the animation is new! This is unbelieveable. Solitaire has, to the best of my knowledge, remained essentially unchanged since windows 3.1, possibily before that but I don't know since windows 3.1 was the first version of windows that I ever used and/or owned.

I know its no reason to buy an os but this is a nice touch. It really is fresher than all the previous ports for the 9x and xp series.

Just an intersesting little heads up......
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None. for what I've read about Vista I'm not changing from XP any time soon.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, MS can't win. If they created an entirely new OS that was completely unrelated to the current one(s), there would be uproar about having to buy new versions of existing applications - uproar from the very same people who bitch and moan about how similar new versions of the OS are to previous ones.

From MS's POV, it would be corporate suicide to kill off one of your main cash cows.

MS aren't unique in having "stolen" parts of other OSes to create their own. The criticism of MS can equally be applied to Apple and their dressed up BSD Unix. And Linux is just a rip-off of Unix - certainly not entirely new.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Well, MS can't win. If they created an entirely new OS that was completely unrelated to the current one(s), there would be uproar about having to buy new versions of existing applications - uproar from the very same people who bitch and moan about how similar new versions of the OS are to previous ones.

From MS's POV, it would be corporate suicide to kill off one of your main cash cows.

MS aren't unique in having "stolen" parts of other OSes to create their own. The criticism of MS can equally be applied to Apple and their dressed up BSD Unix. And Linux is just a rip-off of Unix - certainly not entirely new.
    Thank you for being the voice of reason. It is refreshing to see someone that can talk about things from the realist point of view. I share similar beliefs. I see Vista as having it's own merits. I use it as well as XP Pro, and a slew of other operating systems. You will not see any whining or complaining from me. I even went back to Aero and gave it another chance. I use Vista daily and I am not ashamed.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are good things in Vista that will be important as applications are rewritten. The audio system has been rewritten from the ground up with the idea that applications separately process their own audio and each application audio shows as a separate mixer input with a unique fader. Further the Master Volume fader (speakers in this case) fades all apps proportionately while maintaining the mix. Not shown, the master fader also has a peak meter built in.

Pro Audio guys have been asking for these changes for years. Vista's mixer can now be used as a submixer. Audio apps can feed various Aux outputs to the Vista mixer.

Downside is many XP audio apps don't find the mic and line inputs.

On the subject of Vista audio, does anyone know where to find the Record Control mixer like the XP panel below? All I can find is a line/mic select in Control Panel.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jollyjohn
    None. for what I've read about Vista I'm not changing from XP any time soon.
    Amen brotha! XP all the way.

I don't like how Vista is so overbloated and inefficient. With XP 512MBs is PLENTY enough ram to run fine.

Vista however needs about 1GB+ otherwise it'll run like an old P-3 junker!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddv
    does anyone know where to find the Record Control mixer like the XP panel below? All I can find is a line/mic select in Control Panel.
    Could this be it?

It's from the SOUND icon in the control panel window. Its the middle tab option. I don't know why I don't have anything listed. I have onboard 5.1 sound. I haven't seen a reason to move my usb soundblaster 5.1 over to my hp. If I had a full fledged soundcard I'm sure I'd see more detail there.

Perhaps that is where you can look eddv Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is all I see. I'd like to see the "Stereo Mix" option to record the playback mixer output. Maybe this window will expand with the next AC97 sound update. For now I need to use external audio patch cables or revert to my XP machine.

I know I'd probably get what I want with a new sound card but I'm slot limited on this machine. I'm just using mobo audio. Maybe there's a USB2 Vista audio solution?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by edDV
    This is all I see. I'd like to see the "Stereo Mix" option to record the playback mixer output. Maybe this window will expand with the next AC97 sound update.
    I bet it won't be because it's a DRM issue. Being able to record "what you hear" was a huge hole in Windows' DRM. The next step will be to eliminate analog outputs altogether and require secure digital connections like HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by edDV
    This is all I see. I'd like to see the "Stereo Mix" option to record the playback mixer output. Maybe this window will expand with the next AC97 sound update.
    I bet it won't be because it's a DRM issue. Being able to record "what you hear" was a huge hole in Windows' DRM. The next step will be to eliminate analog outputs altogether and require secure digital connections like HDCP.
    Which is why my spidey sense is starting to tell me that Vista is not for the consumer but for MS OS licensing, video/music industry control through DRM and control over HD content through software and hardware ports. There has to be something to make people feel that they need to keep up with technology so a few bones have been thrown our way which means they had to fix a few things that weren't working right. Even then I would be suspicious has to how and why they fixed some holes.. The few goodies and eye candy are the distractions so people won't notice that the wool is being pulled over their eyes. I don't buy the idea that MS is doing anyone a favor by providing new development tools. It is far to their advantage to have developers produce software tied to the Vista platform as quickly as possible because that will ensure a quicker transition which is what they want. There really isn't an alternative OS, people will not switch in droves to Linux or anything else but more compatible software will help move people off XP which is the real and only enemy of Vista at this time. Expect MS to stop support for XP real quickly unless there is great public outcry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only use "stereo mix" for sound recording online radio (e.g. Leo Laporte). I could care less if it is telephone quality but they delete the function because they worry about what?

"HDCP computer speakers" makes a good point illustrating the absurdity. It isn't just about high fidelity, it's about total control of what you see and hear.

I guess I'll listen to radio over Linux for now. More power load to run another machine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    YODA TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

There is stereo mix recording option in vista! I did a net search and found it:

Originally Posted by microsoft forum
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1005274&SiteID=1

phillipblanton

OH! Found it.

For everyone else...

Right click on the speaker icon in the tray.

Select "Recording Devices"

In the resulting dialog, make sure you have the "Recording" tab selected and in the middle of the empty area, right click and select "Show Disabled Devices".

oooooop dere it is!
    Here is a screen shot:

Enjoy!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yoda -- it worked for me. Thanks!

edDV -- Leo Laporte's show is available for download from his web site a week after broadcast.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is what I have for inputs on my Vista computer:

The 'Volume Mixer' is for output devices, which can be anything. If you select your video and audio players, you can control them separately. It's nice to set the Windows sounds levels down so if you get a Windows error during a movie, it's not so irritating. For the Volume Mixer to display a player, the player needs to be running. But the speaker and Windows sounds are always displayed since they are on all the time.

EDIT: yoda313, did you notice in the Vista solitaire game when you win, the cards break into little pieces and fall to the bottom of the screen? I thought that was a nice touch also.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Yoda -- it worked for me. Thanks!
    You're welcome.

Originally Posted by redwudz
    EDIT: yoda313, did you notice in the Vista solitaire game when you win, the cards break into little pieces and fall to the bottom of the screen? I that that was a nice touch also.
    Nope. Hadn't gotten as far as playing a full game. I was just stunned the graphics and animation were changed.

Maybe this thread should be renamed DISCOVERING VISTA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe this thread should be renamed DISCOVERING VISTA
    I got what I was looking for early on in the thread so have fun with it.

If someone wants to sell its good points go for it. If someone wants to bash it, I'm fine with that too. Just include the version you're using and we'll consider it all "on topic".
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Well, MS can't win. If they created an entirely new OS that was completely unrelated to the current one(s), there would be uproar about having to buy new versions of existing applications - uproar from the very same people who bitch and moan about how similar new versions of the OS are to previous ones.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. It is refreshing to see someone that can talk about things from the realist point of view. I share similar beliefs. I see Vista as having it's own merits. I use it as well as XP Pro, and a slew of other operating systems. You will not see any whining or complaining from me. I even went back to Aero and gave it another chance. I use Vista daily and I am not ashamed.

Good for you, and I agree there is no shame in using *any* OS that suits your needs.
    But saying about 'voice of reason' (in light of the previous discussion) is silly.
    A Corporation sell you same product for the fifth time (only with another, fifth version of GUI), with even more limitations than any previous version, and you actually defend it?! I say there is something wrong with your understanding of the world around you at least

Microsoft could have added all the same hardware support to Windows NT4, same GUI (for those who want it), all the patches that are incorporated in Vista, and you would have had much better operating system than Vista - it would be the same but without DRMs and WGA related garbage in it (which are there to LIMIT YOU, dont you get it? EOT)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    YODA TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

There is stereo mix recording option in vista! I did a net search and found it:

Originally Posted by microsoft forum
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1005274&SiteID=1

phillipblanton

OH! Found it.

For everyone else...

Right click on the speaker icon in the tray.

Select "Recording Devices"

In the resulting dialog, make sure you have the "Recording" tab selected and in the middle of the empty area, right click and select "Show Disabled Devices".

oooooop dere it is!
    Here is a screen shot:

Enjoy!
    Well hidden and well done finding it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    glad to help eddv. Hopefully this well be helpful to others in the future as well
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by DereX888
    Microsoft could have added all the same hardware support to Windows NT4, same GUI (for those who want it), all the patches that are incorporated in Vista, and you would have had much better operating system than Vista - it would be the same but without DRMs and WGA related garbage in it (which are there to LIMIT YOU, dont you get it? EOT)
    Yes, I get it.

I get that MS are entitled to develop and market their products in any way they care that they believe will maximize their bottom line. As with any product in a free market economy, you - the consumer - are free to take it or leave it. Other options exist. Perhaps one day, MS will come to their senses and listen to all the rantings of the miniscule fraction of users who believe they know better how to define MS's business model.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by DereX888
    A Corporation sell you same product for the fifth time (only with another, fifth version of GUI), with even more limitations than any previous version, and you actually defend it?! I say there is something wrong with your understanding of the world around you at least
    This happens everywhere in the economy that we live in. Car dealerships will take last years model and change the headlights or taillights and sell it as next years model. This is how companies make money by not abandoning what made them money in the first place.

As far as limitations are concerned, I am not worried, because there are companies like Slysoft that help defend the rights of us(The blue collar working people).

Microsoft is free to make whatever changes they feel are necessary. In my field, I have to stay current with the changes in the computing industry. I just do not feel that Vista is the end of western civilization, as you and some others put it. If everyone stayed with the status quo, there would not be any innovation whatsoever.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Both of you are right and I say the same. Each company and corporation is free to do what they please (within our laws). Microsoft don't have to listen to anyone, and as long as there are idiots paying for same Windows NT code (with new GUI and updates included) every few years, its all fine.

But since none of you is William Gates the Third (presumably) I don't get your defensive stand for a corporation that both of you agree (or so it seems) it is basically screwing its consumers in every possible way.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Personally, I don't feel I'm being screwed by MS. If I am, then no more so than by other companies. There are other software companies that I do feel screwed by - especially those that charge more for upgrades than MS charge for a retail license. Or those that force you to upgrade when a new version of Windows appears. Based on your argument, that shouldn't be the case since Vista is merely NT 4.0 dressed up. (Which, BTW, it isn't. Wholesale changes were made to the kernel from NT 4.0 to W2K.)

To me, MS have actually been very generous (no doubt for good business reasons) - I get a full MSDN Universal subscription for $395 a year. The honeymoon period will run out next year - i.e., I'll pay full price - but I have generated enough income through my MS-supported activities that I can afford it. My customers benefit from software that solves problems that other software can't. Some customers come back and enter into contracts for custom solutions based upon the public versions. Sounds like capitalism fairly and squarely at work.

Other OS providers have their own behaviors that should label them as screwing their consumers, too. I won't mention them.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So, because there are many other corporations (that f*ck customers in the asses) thus everything is fine?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think this is just like my dislike of apple derex - either use it or don't. WE can't make you use vista if you don't want to. Just like mac fans can't make me switch to apple. Its preference.
    Quote Quote  
  28. THIS IS OLD STORY...

when xp came up..evereybody was like now...**** xp,
    now, everybody says, **** vista....in 3 yrs they all will like it.

this is just human nature idiots...

Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by DereX888
    there are many other corporations (that f*ck customers in the asses)
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    I think this is just like my dislike of apple derex - either use it or don't. WE can't make you use vista if you don't want to. Just like mac fans can't make me switch to apple. Its preference.
    Yay, we get to choose which company f*cks us in the ass! LOL
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by DereX888
    So, because there are many other corporations (that f*ck customers in the asses) thus everything is fine?
    If you object to MS's business model, don't buy their products.

People scream up and down about Sony. I buy Sony products in preference to any alternative.

People positively orgasm about Apple. I refuse to buy anything from them ( I don't like their business model ).

I avoid products by Kellogg's, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, News Corporation, Nestlé, Disney, Dole and others. But it is my choice. Just as is my prefered OS.

You may or may not agree with my list above - frankly, I don't care - it is your choice and it is not for me to judge you on it.
    Quote Quote